Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

18 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Was only in it twice..... bought two Hornby open wagons, all I could afford.

Perfect wagons to stick behind....... a Murphy 121!

Similarly was there a few times near the end as I was working nearby, but wasn't overly impressed. Bought some signal kits if I remember, after examining an A class kit that seemed to be a plastic bag of badly cast white metal bits that didn't fit well together. Yet some master builders produced some fine models from these bags of what looked like metal off cuts. Bless their patience, must have been filing and filling for many many hours to produce the half decent models they did in the end. But I could appreciate it was a sort of mystical Aladdins cave that many made long distance pilgrimages to, that sold all manner of modelling bits and pieces. A lost paradise for some. For me W J Owens in Bray was the model railway halt of choice after the Hobby Horse in Rathfarnham shopping centre closed, and the little shop on D'Olier street.

That looks a really good and excellent model, however I am not sure my layout can justify buying one as I plan to model the Irish Broad Gauge in the 1935 to 1960 period or just up to the introduction of the C class locos, which ever is later.

The reeason for the cut off date was that was when most of the public 3ft narrow guage lines where closed.

That said Narrow Planet have just introduce the BnM Wagonmaster as an 009 kit, so I have one of those to build into 00n3 at some point.

shifting sands and all that...............😄.

You're ok with authenticity, Colin - the C class entered service in 1957, after the A and B101s in 1955, while the narrow gauge still was operating. The Cavan & Leitrim and the Co. Donegal lasted until 1959, and the (by now all diesel!) West Clare until 1961.... so there ye have it!

It would actually be interesting to know where the least known places were that 121s visited. They got into Ballaghadereen. One might presume New Ross or Ardee? Certainly they got to Ennis, and to Listowel via Tralee. One got to Loughrea, I think.

Had there never been a border, they'd have been over the Derry Road, and Dundalk to Enniskillen, I am sure. 

Cue a separate topic, what would have operated over the Irish North if it had lasted even until 1970.......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening

At the risk of getting the head pucked off me for having the temerity to ask:

"Are we there yet"?

Im just looking for an update - i totally appreciate that there were unforseen difficulties with the model and that PM wants the model to be the best it can be - Im assuming Christmas delivery has slipped - i 'll wait as long as it takes!

Just trying to juggle the finances timeline - ie - if no 121 on immediate horizon - then Fert bundle is viable 😉......

This is not to be construed as any kind of criticism - just a polite request for information - I'll be looking for same update on A Class aswell.

Let there be no knicker twisting - but if anybody has anything to tell - it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Ed

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:41 PM, Ironroad said:

As was suggested this topic probably belongs elsewhere, but it is not bull****, it’s a serious matter that Irish model retailers need to pay attention to, and I for one would like to hear a response from that quarter.

It would be very nice and desirable to support the local Sheriff but only if he deserves that support.

Do we have a model shop in Ireland that could compare with long closed “The Model Railway Shop” (also known as Leinster Models) on Monk Place Phibsborough? Most here won’t remember that shop and won’t know what I’m talking about, but that was the real deal and worth supporting even at a cost. But I submit that we now have nothing like that on the island of Ireland and there is nothing to distinguish any Irish model retailer and accordingly they need to get real and that means getting seriously competitive if they expect to survive. No store has a given right to your business, loyalty is something that must be earned continually.

I agree that deserving local retailers need and should be supported.  However, I have never given my business to a prominent Dublin retailer since myself and my 7 year old son were followed around the shop making sure we either didn't touch anything or maybe shove it up our jumpers.   I don't do business with people who have insulted me.   I lament the loss of Seamus's shop and since then have exclusively bought from the UK and IRM direct.  Monck place was a dreamland to me at 5ish when my Dad bought my first set.  (I seem to recall a tailchaser around the wall, am I wrong? and also a shop in Leeson St?, Terrys in Henry St, A shop where the Jervis Ctr is now and then one behind Clerys)  No need to ask where they have all gone.   Ireland has online retailers selling car parts across Europe, if they can do that, why not model retailers?   Oh!  Forgot my local shop Hobbies in Malahide where the owner was so patient with me just gazing!

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

Then there was the shop up a side street between O Connell bridge and the Halfpenny bridge. It was a post office as well as a model railway shop. He used to stock HO continental stuff. Remember the shop in Capel street that used to do a lot of Fleischmann stuff? But Monck Place was my favourite.

10 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Some minor problems with the size of the sound chip have meant that they have lost their production slot and 

are now pushed back into the new year, the Roaring Twenties

Another few months won't make much of a difference, and probably useful anyway to space it away from the A class delivery and from Christmas too. Had both locos arrived in December as originally announced we'd all be broke and nothing else might sell for a year. The Irish market well is only so deep. It will be worth waiting for.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Some minor problems with the size of the sound chip have meant that they have lost their production slot and 

are now pushed back into the new year, the Roaring Twenties

That's funny, I remember talking to PM at the Blackrock show and asking him about fitting a sound chip in the 121. The space looked REALLY tight in the samples that he had and the ESU Loksound are a little bulkier than other decoders. He said it was going to be a tight squeeze but they'll have it sorted.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, irishthump said:

That's funny, I remember talking to PM at the Blackrock show and asking him about fitting a sound chip in the 121. The space looked REALLY tight in the samples that he had and the ESU Loksound are a little bulkier than other decoders. He said it was going to be a tight squeeze but they'll have it sorted.

A bulkier than expected chip might cause problem in a relatively small loco right enough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Another few months won't make much of a difference, and probably useful anyway to space it away from the A class delivery and from Christmas too. Had both locos arrived in December as originally announced we'd all be broke and nothing else might sell for a year. The Irish market well is only so deep. It will be worth waiting for.

Yeah, the finance dept here is breathing a sigh of relief, that's for sure!

looking like a winner, PM has really delivered the goods again. I am really happy for him. I don't think we would be where we are now without his huge contribution. Also respect to those who have assisted the man along his journey. The IE livery depicted in the pics really suits the 121's especially if you were lucky enough to see 124 and 134 double heading when they had just been overhauled for the last time.

A great sound and sight. I don't think I would weather them, just run them as if they are on their first days duty after overhaul and are pristine. A rake of weathered bubbles behind them would make the contrast between locos and wagons really stand out.

Smashing model,

Rich,

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Noel said:

On 12/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Edo said:

I heard similar from same source....March was mentioned.....don't quote me on it tho.....

Looks like the IRM's A Class is pushed back to March (may arrive with the 121 after all)

Folks bear in mind there is not a lot of space available inside the 121 body's narrow bonnet. Given the see through grills, fitting a decoder and a speaker in there is going to be one heck of a design and engineering achievement, not to mention lights and working windscreen wipers :) Getting it just perfectly right is worth the time. Shoe horning a precision running chassis and all the goodies inside that body is some achievement.

@WRENNEIRE Thanks for posting those photos, the decorated samples look stunning. Delivery grey/yellow + B&T for me + ST and IE broken points logo with tippex. Yummie Easter will be very happy and expensive this year. 

PS: The only speaker I could fit inside my 121 bonnets was a sugar cube.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...