Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

There are lot's of our members that have a huge knowledge of the class that don't live in Dublin or even in Ireland. The lads in the MRSI have seen it up close and their knowledge of the prototype and modelling is good enough for me. Lots of folks work Saturday too.

The photos posted on here and the video Hattons have on youtube of the model running is as good as it gets without handling the sample. Timing was possibly not the greatest time for people neither with prior commitments.

I have to say that it looks stunning and can't wait to see a full production sample.

Rich,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to confess that I was being selfish, hoping that somebody would have more video or photos, but would also say that it won't be available too soon...

Trying to catch up on the last ten or fifteen odd years of Irish models is very expensive, never mind the difficulty in tracking down some of the earlier Murphy Models stock.

With IRM now selling some stunning freight models to replace my non-realistic freight stock, there is even more pressure on.

There are the A Class and the 121 coming as well, so a small pause between the two would suit me very well!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things

Some painted examples have arrived and He Who Must Be Canonised is happy with them

The finished models wont be here for the 3 day show but there will be some running/painted ones on display

Hopefully they should be available before Christmas 

One thing that surfaced is that there will need to be 6 switches for DC running, double heading being the ball breaker

So no stupid replies please, it will be here when its here

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 3

Thank you for the heads up. Sounds great. It'll be well worth the wait. Dave do you know what the livery release plan is? (eg grey + IE/IR first, then B&T and ST a few months later, etc?) Well yes double heading is what these locos were born to do. :) Happy days 2019 is going to be an expensive if not an explosion of new Irish locos. You think CIE locos and all the GMs fill the memories. Is it true the windscreen wipers work? 😎

Edited by Noel

Are there any plans for a variance in the marker lights? For example there would have been at least two different types of marker lights used by locos carrying the IÉ livery. I assume 124 and 134 will have the latest marker lights but will 129 have the older type used in the 90s?

CIE_134.jpg

5597657575_af8006461b_b.jpg

Edited by gm171 kk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Hopefully all going well the release will be

Grey 121 & 135

IE 124, 129 & 134

Before Christmas

Then

CIE Black 125 & 131

Supertrain 126 & 132

Possibly late Feb

Finally 

IR 127, 130 & 133

Bangor in April?

Sounds great. 1xGrey + 1xB&T + a pair nose2nose in IR would do very nicely. Really looking forward to these locos. No doubt the A will also be exceptional but the  distinctive shape of these iconic GMs really wets the appetite.

1 hour ago, gm171 kk said:

Are there any plans for a variance in the marker lights? For example there would have been at least two different types of marker lights used by locos carrying the IÉ livery. I assume 124 and 134 will have the latest marker lights but will 129 have the older type used in the 90s?

CIE_134.jpg

5597657575_af8006461b_b.jpg

The name is Bracken, not Murphy!

Lights will be as per period, another detail that has added to the delay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

Slightly off topic but still 121 related. I remember many years ago, probably the middle 1980's, I was over in Leinster Models in Monck Place and Ciaran McGowan was on counter duty-with pipe in full swing. He was showing me paper plans (blueprints) for an "O" gauge 121 he was building for a customer. I wonder if it is still in existence? Also you could get 121 in "00" gauge built on an American chassis. Don't know if he used Bachmann or Athearn. Anyway it was outside my budget at the time. Little did I realise at the time that a 121 would be available as a standard item. I used to frequent the shop a lot and I have some great memories. I can still smell the pipe smoke from some of the Lima models I bought there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudfan said:

''He was showing me paper plans (blueprints) for an "O" gauge 121 he was building for a customer. I wonder if it is still in existence?''

spudfan

They built one for the Fry Layout in Malahide Castle, it was no. 130 - it could be that one! Chances are slim it will be displayed in the new museum....

Here is a link to a few photos of one that was built in later times but owes it's heritage to Leinster Models I believe? (this link might encourage wrennie to update his photos in the thread);-

Eoin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I was talking to a lad today

Although Murphy Models have advertised the model it was a bit premature

A couple of problems arose at the last minute but they have been resolved

Obviously this will delay the production of the 121

The hope now is that they will be shipped mid to late November, in time for my birthday

So apologies from MM but he is hoping that the wait will be worth it

Some painted examples may be on view at the SDMRC 3 day show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

On 10/11/2019 at 11:41 PM, murrayec said:

spudfan

They built one for the Fry Layout in Malahide Castle, it was no. 130 - it could be that one! Chances are slim it will be displayed in the new museum....

Eoin

The emphasis in Malahide will be on Fry’s actual models in display cases, and an 00 gauge operational layout. Currently there is no plan to display the non-Fry-made models and they remain in storage. They will be properly sorted and catalogued over the winter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The emphasis in Malahide will be on Fry’s actual models in display cases, and an 00 gauge operational layout. Currently there is no plan to display the non-Fry-made models and they remain in storage. They will be properly sorted and catalogued over the winter.

Hi

There will be an overhead Gauge O track! in the new museum with 4 'non-Fry-made' trains running, but unfortunately not including the 121 loco.

Eoin

MURPHY MODELS Class 121 - - - LATEST NEWS from a UK retailer.

0f9c957d-9342-4a7d-b3b6-7c7c7649af6b.jpe

Murphy Models have confirmed the recommended retail price of the forthcoming CIE Class 121, resulting in a confirmed discounted sales price of £149.50.

As this is cheaper than our estimated price, your order has been automatically amended to this new, lower price as per our pre-order policy, and no payment has been taken from you at this stage.

We have been advised that decorated samples are expected soon with release anticipated between late November 2019 and early 2020.

If you have any further queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to contact us on 0151 733 3655 or info@hattons.co.uk

• Like 3

Had an email from Hattons this morning giving a confirmed discounted pre-order price of £149-50, anticipated delivery late November 2019, early 2020. A pleasant surprise re the price and fingers crossed re the delivery dates. I have 6 IR and IE versions on order.

Ernie

Sorry for the duplication, OLD Blarney beat me to it!

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

Pleading the 5th George

No person shall be subject, except in cases of impeachment, to more than one punishment or trial for the same offense; nor shall be compelled to be a witness against himself; nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor be obliged to relinquish his property, where it may be necessary for public use, without just compensation....[E]xcept in cases of impeachments, and cases arising in the land or naval forces, or the militia when on actual service, in time of war or public danger...in all crimes punishable with loss of life or member, presentment or indictment by a grand jury shall be an essential preliminary....

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Pleading the 5th George

No person shall be subject, except in cases of impeachment, to more than one punishment or trial for the same offense; nor shall be compelled to be a witness against himself; nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor be obliged to relinquish his property, where it may be necessary for public use, without just compensation....[E]xcept in cases of impeachments, and cases arising in the land or naval forces, or the militia when on actual service, in time of war or public danger...in all crimes punishable with loss of life or member, presentment or indictment by a grand jury shall be an essential preliminary....

Aka.. Bracken models 😂

• Like 1