Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

The silver livery seen on that “A”, and also applied to “C”s, the first trio of “G”s, the E401 and B101 classes, always got THAT filthy in a very short time.

So much so, that a PRISTINE silver loco on a layout is about as unrealistic as a pale blue and tartan one, hauling purple and pink coaches! 

silver looks sky blue, ,

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The silver livery seen on that “A”, and also applied to “C”s, the first trio of “G”s, the E401 and B101 classes, always got THAT filthy in a very short time.

So much so, that a PRISTINE silver loco on a layout is about as unrealistic as a pale blue and tartan one, hauling purple and pink coaches! 

Pale blue and tartan , hauling purple and pink coaches,  reading this out loud to my daughter, she just became a modeller!  and she asks can they have ribbons, ,, says i only at the launch,,

do you launch locos, like a ship, ???

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Dave already uploaded these images 2 weeks ago in page 3 of this thread why the duplication.

Rich,

Rich 1) I posted a link not the images 2) you seem to only post negative or sarcastic responses to my contributions on here and 3) please get off my back. It is getting tiresome, I’m sure face to face we would probable get on well. Noel

• Like 5

I think when leslie mentioned the electric motors being left in place, with the diesel engine acting as the generator, he meant that the new GM diesel engine drove the generator that provided the electricity to the electric motors (which were original to the loco when delivered from Metro-Vick)

Edited by skinner75

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Rich 1) I posted a link not the images 2) you seem to only post negative or sarcastic responses to my contributions on here and 3) please get off my back. It is getting tiresome, I’m sure face to face we would probable get on well. Noel

Why post a link when the images appear on page 3 of the thread you commented  on the images yourself. In regards to point 2 in your post I refer you to the posts on page 4 of the IRM 2018 Range, Project 42' and Plough thread from Glenderg, Jason Brady, and Warbonnet as they sum up the feelings of lots of folks on the forum towards those kind of contributions made by your good self it isn't just me. As for the last point don't think so. 

My own post about the link was attacking the post not the poster.

I hope that this post will be taken with the sincerity I have composed it with.

If you want to talk any further about it then PM me by all means as even though I wouldn't agree with your post your certainly entitled to it.

share the love and be happy ,*i*, the class 121 club!  sorta like the skyhigh club.

my 121 is DCC fitted and came weathered, i love it as its the only brass model i have, cant remember where i got it,  was second hand in plain box with black n white print on top, (box stored away, so until i get into storage i wont know from where, but irish rail modellers or somet'ink made it ) had to cut the front underside to get it to fit onto peco 100 track,  saw wrenneire has one on display. he also said the front had to be bashed to fit some tracks

Bashfully, its the first and only kit bashed bashing i have done.

• Like 1

On saturday I acquired some 250 Irish original slides and there are a fair number of 121's from the early days, 4 samples below. I havn't done much research yet into the unknown locations as I also have several hours of 4K video from the Keighley & Worth Valley and Severn Valley Gala's to edit. I quite like B121 with the TPO "ancient and modern" for the era.

All will be going on flickr in due course!

B126 Athlone 7 jun61, B130 Ballaghaderreen 8Jun61  B134 I think is Sligo

ERnie

Athlone B126 7Jun61 img115.jpg

where B134 img122.jpg

where B130 img121.jpg

Where B121 + TPO Jun63 img116.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
missed off captions as usual DOH!
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 4

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say it but the Kranz shot of B132 is very dark and gives no real idea of the true colour. Lance King's almost identical shot has been properly exposed and shows a much brighter grey.

How do I know it's a better exposure? - you can make out the Midland 2-4-0 at the shed quite clearly - it's dark blob in the Kranz shot.

No Photo Shopping, by the way, it's a direct scan from the Kodachrome (or Agfa - he used both) slide. Lance, God bless him, would not have known what software was!

I'd upload it, but the file is too large!I

9 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Hatton may be offering it to you, but if you buy it from Paddy who has taken all this work on himself and his team, it maximises his income.

Dare I say it - we all owe him?

He has no shop and sells them through outlets like Hattons and Marks so how pray tell do you buy them from the man himself - Just Ask?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 3/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, Irishswissernie said:

On saturday I acquired some 250 Irish original slides and there are a fair number of 121's from the early days, 4 samples below. I havn't done much research yet into the unknown locations as I also have several hours of 4K video from the Keighley & Worth Valley and Severn Valley Gala's to edit. I quite like B121 with the TPO "ancient and modern" for the era.

All will be going on flickr in due course!

B126 Athlone 7 jun61, B130 Ballaghaderreen 8Jun61  B134 I think is Sligo

ERnie

where B130 img121.jpg

B130 looks like Attymon Junction westbound

B?? possibly Athenry Up platform Eastbound.

I love the TPO!!!

• Like 2

He has no shop and sells them through outlets like Hattons and Marks so how pray tell do you buy them from the man himself - Just Ask?

Good point, George! I simply can't remember WHO I bought my 141s from!

My 201 was a swap for wagons with Seamus of Toymaster, the CIE 071 from that well known gent the former Garda Commissioner and NIR 112 from Gareth.

Isn't life strange? (to quote the Moody Blues).

Hhmmmm

The slide is marked B121 but I am not sure; blow up attached .

I thought about Attymon for B130 but havn't found a photo yet to confirm it.

Also looking for photos of Ballycullane and also Duncormick to try and pin down a couple of the other unidentifed slides.

I have also managed to do a bit of modelling on Glengarriff as Mrs B is 'baby sitting' in Didcot  - due back tomorrow unfortunately er sorry  I meant YIPPEE. Hope she's baby sitting again next year(or the year after!) when the 4 x 121 I have ordered arrive

Ernie

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Excellent shots as always Ernie but have the say that the TPO is fantastic with the collecting apparatus still in use/in place!😍 Would anyone happen to know the origin of that 6w? TPO, maybe GSWR? TIA

The TPOs a bit of a puzzle. The majority of GSWR and MGWR 6w and bogie TPOs had been officially withdrawn from service before the B121 Class entered service.

Van appears to be a bogie rather than a 6w van (4 axleboxes showing) with GSWR rather than MGWR design features, including roof profile, gas lighting, window profile and continuous lower foot boards.

Looks very close to 245 a 45' GSWR TPO built in 1900 officially withdrawn in 1959 🙄.

Van appears to be in good cosmetic condition painted in the late 50s green with single eau-de-nil stripe paint scheme.

A pair of  GSWR built TPOs survived into the 1960s these were longer more modern looking vehicles with elliptical roofs completely unlike the van in the Athenry  photo

Its just about possible that GSWR TPO was "cascaded" from the Southern on to the Midland to replace a more modern ex-MGWR TPO as Inchacore rolled out its first batch of Laminate TPOs in 1959.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1