barrow street

Rate this topic

warb

Wow.

Where to start? No idea really. The vision, the skill, the running, the... oh for goodness sake!

Quite possibly one of the finest model railways anywhere. 

To follow the movie, now needs an album and a novel - though preferably not a musical😁 and certainly a major series in the Model Press.

Quite remarkable and to say 'well done' is not enough but thank you and keep sharing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed with all the comments above a great slice of the world in miniature. Certainly worthy of being a public treasure showing how Dublin has developed and of museum quality - may be in time to be preserved for future generations. 

The ghostly DART shows work in progress and a rare model.  Taken by the single railcar - It would be good to know about its build?

Thanks for sharing the developments, and the shed is certainly thought provoking for myself. ( lottery win required!)

Robert    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

It's great to see it reassembled in it's new home. Very interesting to see the steel frame used for the supports - when I go to build a layout of my own, this would be the way I would go about supporting it, after seeing it first on Barrow Street!

The idea for the layout supports was originally done 35 years ago by the Model Railway Society of Ireland for their exhibition layouts which provided ease of movement and strength.

Warb 

• Like 1

Its been a long term in the planning and construction  I first heard about plans for a Westland Row-Grand Canal Dock layout nearly 20 years ago. 

Its nice to see the Sparrow and Arrow Railcars again, the single unit railcar was surveyed within days of its arrival (1997?) in Inchacore and the scratchbuilt model completed and in service on the Greystones layout a lot quicker than it took IE to commission the prototype.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warb,

You just need to put the shed on wheels now and then you can travel the world with this masterpiece, bet your glad to see the idea finally come to realization , from a recent trip on the dart there are a lot more barges now docked in Grand Canal but I remember your scene well commuting to /from work. You  just need a bit of white bird poo on the remnants of the boat you have in your scene or a few gulls sitting on the sides.

Regards

Paul R.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, David Holman said:

Seems no matter how contemporary you try to be, barely a day goes by and it becomes history!

During the last 20 years the Grand Canal Dock area has been transformed to some of the most valuable real estate in Europe on the back of Government (tax) incentives to encourage the IT giants to set up their European headquarters in Dublin, this resulted in the whole sale re-development of the area including the 're-development" of urban renewal projects carried out during the 1980s & 1900s

I worked in a relatively new (post 1990) neo-Georgian office block that had an excellent view over the "Boston Yard" about 20 years ago, the complex was demolished and replaced by a high rise steel and glass box during the past 10 years, in stark contrast to the urban decay that blighted the area during the 60s and 70s with the run down of port operations and associated industries on the South Quays and in Grand Canal Dock.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

Seems no matter how contemporary you try to be, barely a day goes by and it becomes history!

29 minutes ago, Mayner said:

During the last 20 years the Grand Canal Dock area has been transformed to some of the most valuable real estate in Europe on the back of Government (tax) incentives to encourage the IT giants to set up their European headquarters in Dublin, this resulted in the whole sale re-development of the area including the 're-development" of urban renewal projects carried out during the 1980s & 1900s

I worked in a relatively new (post 1990) neo-Georgian office block that had an excellent view over the "Boston Yard" about 20 years ago, the complex was demolished and replaced by a high rise steel and glass box during the past 10 years, in stark contrast to the urban decay that blighted the area during the 60s and 70s with the run down of port operations and associated industries on the South Quays and in Grand Canal Dock.

Take it away Ronnie..

• Like 1
  • Funny 1