IRM announce NIR Enterprise Mark 2 Coaches

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

7 minutes ago, gm171 kk said:

When was the DVT used? I know they were used with Hunslets but were they used with 111s and 201s during the 90s?

In formation yes, but only as brake coaches. Their push-pull equipment was for use with the Hunslets, the 111s not being fitted.

The original intention was that in summer an eight coach set with a Hunslet either end would be used, reduced to five coaches with one Hunslet and a driving trailer the other end in winter.

2 hours ago, MOGUL said:

The Gatwick's ran with a Gen van converted from a Mk2B BFK, 8911.. But the lads won't be producing that one, I would imagine as it doesn't really fit with the other Mk2Bs being released here..

I'd forgotten that it was a 2B, my brain always associates it with the 2F because the Gatwicks were such.

33 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Looking at the underside of the bogies I'm wondering will the brake blocks sit behind the wheels where the wheels are pushed out to 21mm? Or is there a magic IRM solution for that in the works?

That will require some modelling to take them out. But the space is all there!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Informative 1

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The DVT was used as regular coaching stock with the withdrawal of the Hunslets from Enterprise duties.

BDTS ;) The Hunslets were used (a bit) on local NIR services when they were replaced by the 111's, such as Belfast to Bangor, theres a photo in the book '35 years of NIR' with a Hunslet pushing MK2's in different liveries. Usually these MK2's were the Enterprise spares. 

As @Garfield has said it was usually 'civil unrest' that threw the MK2's off their regular Enterprise workings most of the time. 

In the 111 days (1981-1998) they were among the most intensely worked locos and stock in the British Isles, only the 47/7s and MK2/3 stock on Glasgow-Edinburgh came close

• Like 4

Will there be a few thousand of the lighting kits available seperately?

I'd like to be able to retrofit my MM Cravens, MM Mk2D's, Bachmann Mk2A/B's, Lima Mk2D's, Silver Fox Mk3's and Silver Fox GSV!

Also, can the wand be installed somewhere on the layout, for example underneath a bridge?

So, as each train passes underneath, the lights alternately switch on and then switch off each time?

Or, does the wand have to be activated by pressing a button or something?

Is the wand bi-directional or do you need to start at one end?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaine said:

BDTS ;) The Hunslets were used (a bit) on local NIR services when they were replaced by the 111's, such as Belfast to Bangor, theres a photo in the book '35 years of NIR' with a Hunslet pushing MK2's in different liveries. Usually these MK2's were the Enterprise spares..........

Correct. 

In fact the last time I saw them in use, ever, was a three car set being pushed by Hunslet 101 - I wish I had noted the date, but early 1990s. If I remember correctly, one of the three carriages in use still did not have the white stripes, but the other two did. A driving trailer was leading with the loco propelling. It was on an all-stops from Central (or possibly Bangor) to Portadown.

I had not seen a Hunslet in traffic for quite a while at that stage, other than shunting Adelaide. 103 had already succumbed so only 101 and 102 were left - again, while i didn't note it, memory suggests that 101 was considerably less active even by then. She looked pretty shook up that sunny evening, and I believe that she actually expired at Portadown on that very service that evening, never to run again.

So for all of us with MM 111’s it’s great to have stock of equal or better quality to run with them at last and I will certainly be ordering my fair share as budget dictates. 

Now for those that like everything prototypically correct the bad news. 
MM112 carries certain features that came along after these coaches were withdrawn. 
MM113 carries the large front yellow panel that I believe again would have been painted after the coaches withdrawal. 
MM111 is actually the only one that would have run with some of these coach packs in real life. 
So this is an excellent opportunity for Murphy Models to get another run of 111’s done with the correct features and colours to run with these and give modellers who missed the chance to get one. 

I know I can’t wait for these coaches. Never did I believe these would be available RTR. Brilliant. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

So for all of us with MM 111’s it’s great to have stock of equal or better quality to run with them at last and I will certainly be ordering my fair share as budget dictates. 

MM112 carries certain features that came along after these coaches were withdrawn. 

Not mine 😜

20210814215037_IMG_6652.thumb.JPG.cbc36c8c3bf5d543cfc7f57f922e2a61.JPG

Delighted to have coaches to run behind MM 208.

I've only ever seen a generator coach at either end of the Enterprise whilst hauled by a 201.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

MM113 carries the large front yellow panel that I believe again would have been painted after the coaches withdrawal. 
MM111 is actually the only one that would have run with some of these coach packs in real life. 
So this is an excellent opportunity for Murphy Models to get another run of 111’s done with the correct features and colours to run with these and give modellers who missed the chance to get one. 

I know I can’t wait for these coaches. Never did I believe these would be available RTR. Brilliant. 

Dont forget the two NIR 201s for the later livery, IR and Supertrain locos and of course the Hunslets! 

• Like 3

The 201’s are an excellent match.
Here’s a couple of photos. Sorry about the quality of the NIR MV Class 104 but it gives IRM an excuse to produce a C 201 Class model and it’s just after departing Ballymena for those interested. 

10D90524-6C98-4C97-8EFA-7C6E34115775.jpeg

7CB42400-BF97-4EA6-8DF9-5786846F86EB.jpeg

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 4

Interesting that the three 111s STILL carry an NIR logo, rather than a Translink one; the NIR markings were officially superseded in 1996, or 25 years ago!

Wonder what one of those yokes would look like with a Translink "egg" logo!

Even "flying snails" didn't last beyond fifteen years after they were replaced.....

• Like 2

While I know that these coaches ran with other locos, they spent the majority of their working lives behind a 111 Class. The lack of availability of MM 111 Class locos might hinder the sale of these coaches to some extent.

I would think that it would be a win both for MM and IRM, if another batch of 111's were to be released; MM could release an already tooled model in liveries that were already released and IRM would probably sell more of these coaches as suitable locos (111 Class) would be available to haul them.

1 minute ago, iarnrod said:

While I know that these coaches ran with other locos, they spent the majority of their working lives behind a 111 Class. The lack of availability of MM 111 Class locos might hinder the sale of these coaches to some extent.

I would think that it would be a win both for MM and IRM, if another batch of 111's were to be released; MM could release an already tooled model in liveries that were already released and IRM would probably sell more of these coaches as suitable locos (111 Class) would be available to haul them.

Conversely there are many NIR 111s and 201s, not to mention silver fox and MIR kits of Hunslets with little to nothing to haul. It's always a case of "grab these now or regret it later" and so far sales have been positive. With the backlog at the factories the way we are the production run of these will be smaller than recent things we've made, so worth keeping that in mind too.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

I reckon that there are a huge amount of 111's and 201's out there already, crying out for coaching stock...

I personally know of six NIR locos in need of coaching stock, and I'm sure they are the rule rather than the exception.

Another run of 071's would be a treat, specially in grey and in NIR livery, though!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I reckon that there are a huge amount of 111's and 201's out there already, crying out for coaching stock...

I personally know of six NIR locos in need of coaching stock, and I'm sure they are the rule rather than the exception.

Another run of 071's would be a treat, specially in grey and in NIR livery, though!

Great for anyone that has 111's to hand, but for anyone that doesn't,  I can see any that appear on ebay over the next while most likely going for astronomical prices.

Also, if memory serves me correctly,  there were only 250 done of each of the 111's. As someone already said above, the only prototypical one out of them for these coaches  is 111.

Edited by iarnrod

9 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Conversely there are many NIR 111s and 201s, not to mention silver fox and MIR kits of Hunslets with little to nothing to haul. It's always a case of "grab these now or regret it later" and so far sales have been positive. With the backlog at the factories the way we are the production run of these will be smaller than recent things we've made, so worth keeping that in mind too.

Cheers!

Fran 

I don’t think I will be taking any chances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'd like to be able to retrofit my MM Cravens, MM Mk2D's, Bachmann Mk2A/B's, Lima Mk2D's, Silver Fox Mk3's and Silver Fox GSV!

Also, can the wand be installed somewhere on the layout, for example underneath a bridge?

So, as each train passes underneath, the lights alternately switch on and then switch off each time?

think everyone would want them

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Great for anyone that has 111's to hand, but for anyone that doesn't,  I can see any that appear on ebay over the next while most likely going for astronomical prices.

Also, if memory serves me correctly,  there were only 250 done of each of the 111's. As someone already said above, the only prototypical one out of them for these coaches  is 111.

And the 201's!

Just now, mphoey said:

think everyone would want them

Definitely!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The wand simply has a magnet on the end. The lights are activated by magnetic relay so some neodymiums in a tunnel can activate lights or indeed on a gantry coming into a yard can switch them off. 

as the lighting system is integrated with the bogie pickups and stay alive capacitors we’ve not yet explored offering it as an upgrade for other coaches. 

27 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The wand simply has a magnet on the end. The lights are activated by magnetic relay so some neodymiums in a tunnel can activate lights or indeed on a gantry coming into a yard can switch them off. 

as the lighting system is integrated with the bogie pickups and stay alive capacitors we’ve not yet explored offering it as an upgrade for other coaches. 

So a lighting and 21mm bogie kit might be an idea???

• Like 1

Just spent the last hour researching the NIR coaches. For such a small fleet, there was a lot of variations existed and it makes for interesting reading.

British Rail Matk 2 Coaches by Micahel Harris gives a rather detailed account of them, which along with the various Irish stock books, show a lifespan of renumberings and conversions for quite a few of them.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

Hats off to the lads at IRM, these look phenomenal! Honestly though, these are probably outside my sphere of Irish modelling but I may be tempted to go for the BR ones, finances permitting!

I really hope the other model companies are taking notes here. You’ve really pushed the envelope with the design and features of these coaches.

• Like 3