IRM Announcements.

Rate this topic

Fowler4f

24 minutes ago, B141 said:

A model of GSWR 90 would be lovely please 🤞 Would be perfect for any steam era or early 1990s layout 

And a particularly LONG steam era; the thing was built in 1875, and remained in (albeit selective and limited) traffic until this side of 1960! Nice choice of liveries too - GSWR lined green (with both variations of lining); GSWR lined black, grey (1915-1957/8 - most of its life) and for its last year or 18 months shunting in Cork, plain black.

For even the smallest possible shunting layout it would be great with just a few trucks to shuffle about..........

However, it's so tiny - the real thing is a nightmare to work on (as I did once) if you are built much larger than a typical underweight nine year old. You need to be half that size to oil it underneath. Thus; how would you ever get a DCC chip into an 00 scale one! A challenge, if ever there was one.....

• Agree 1

On 8/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, murphaph said:

You're not implying the IRM lads are deliberately maintaining a great wall of silence are you??

They can't post as they're laughing too hard at all of us numpties and our ramblings.

13 hours to go and will there be an announcement? GSR 800? J15? P47? 071? Two-tone green Dublin buses? A B&I ferry? New IRM factory in the Canary islands? Or another week of dashed hopes and dreams?

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

4 hours ago, B141 said:

A model of GSWR 90 would be lovely please 🤞 Would be perfect for any steam era or early 1990s layout 

Mark dunlea does fantastic 3d prints of these that you an just plonk onto any old terrier chassis….

the quality is the best I have seen, even surpassing JM designs commissioned work from china, as mark has access to DELL computers 3D printers 

• Like 1

Mark’s “90” bodies are great (and to be applauded!), but the commercially available chassis options don’t match. 

A commercial manufacturer would  probably need a purpose-built chassis - pushing a price for a realistic model to telephone numbers for such a small, and to be fair, restricted operational prototype, beyond commercially viable parameters.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Mark’s “90” bodies are great (and to be applauded!), but the commercially available chassis options don’t match. 

A commercial manufacturer would  probably need a purpose-built chassis - pushing a price for a realistic model to telephone numbers for such a small, and to be fair, restricted operational prototype, beyond commercially viable parameters.

The biggest issue I think with marks 90 is that it won’t fit the circa 2019 new Terrier chassis. Which runs much better, is to a better scale and is better for DCC users

its deffinetly not perfect. But i don’t see a decently proportioned kit never mind IRM doing GSWR no.90 anytime soon! I have been contemplating making my own static chassis for 90

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, connollystn said:

The KQA pocket container wagons would be a great addition to any layout and wouldn't be surprised is they were among the major announcements this year. They've been a long time coming.

Dapol already do KQA pocket wagons.. Surely that would be an accurascale product rather than an IRM one?

53 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The biggest issue I think with marks 90 is that it won’t fit the circa 2019 new Terrier chassis. Which runs much better, is to a better scale and is better for DCC users

its deffinetly not perfect. But i don’t see a decently proportioned kit never mind IRM doing GSWR no.90 anytime soon! I have been contemplating making my own static chassis for 90

A 3D printed chassis block in a FDM or SLS material should be feasible, Richard Hobbs produced a Shapeways print of an GNR JT 2-4-2T with a 3D printed chassis. 

Chassis block could be designed to take "top hat" bearings available from UK suppliers like Gibson or Markits.

Coupling rods probably best laser cut from a company like PPD.

Wheels potentially the biggest challenge 90 has unusual wheels with H shaped cast Iron spokes, Tim Cramer made a set from carriage wheels for a scratch built No90 that appeared in the Modeller during the late 60s/early 70s. 

GSWR diagrams of No90 don't specify a wheel size but a Markits or Gibson 3'6" Industrial wheel appears close in dia.

A small gearbox and motor from Branchlines probably the best option for motorising, gearboxes are less fiddly to assemble and fewer small parts to loose than the more sophisticated high Level gearboxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

A 3D printed chassis block in a FDM or SLS material should be feasible, Richard Hobbs produced a Shapeways print of an GNR JT 2-4-2T with a 3D printed chassis. 

Chassis block could be designed to take "top hat" bearings available from UK suppliers like Gibson or Markits.

Wheels potentially the biggest challenge 90 has unusual wheels with H shaped cast Iron spokes, Tim Cramer made a set from carriage wheels for a scratch built No90 that appeared in the Modeller during the late 60s/early 70s. 

GSWR diagrams of No90 don't specify a wheel size but a Markits or Gibson 3'6" Industrial wheel appears close in dia.

A small gearbox and motor from Branchlines probably the best option for motorising, gearboxes are less fiddly to assemble and fewer small parts to loose than the more sophisticated high Level gearboxes.

I’ll need to find all those Tim Cramer articles….

I think actually there is GSR drawings of 90 somehere with the wheel diameter. That will require a deep dive into the archives

I have seen 3D printed chassis being done. Infact o have seen a guy do 463 fully 3d printed. It was a bit light and a bit hard to construct but it looked the buisness 

46 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I’ll need to find all those Tim Cramer articles….

I think actually there is GSR drawings of 90 somehere with the wheel diameter. That will require a deep dive into the archives

I have seen 3D printed chassis being done. Infact o have seen a guy do 463 fully 3d printed. It was a bit light and a bit hard to construct but it looked the buisness 

The drivers were 3’ 8.5” diameter

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, connollystn said:

With it being St Valentin'e Day tomorrow it's likely that the lovely guys at IRM Towers will make that all important 'Major' announcement - I'll be expecting a card in the post! Mind, Noel got nothing from them for his birthday which was last week and all he ended up with was two Munster Rugby tops.

An announcement tomorrow would lead to the dissolution of many relationships!

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

Have to say i disagree about the gearbox choice High Level boxes are a much better proposition they are easy to put together and unlike Branchlines boxes the motor is removable after the box is assembled.As for rods Alan Gibson of Lanarkshire Models do quite a range rods including "Universal " sets which is what i used for 90 and  100.The Tim Cramer drawing was in the MRC May 1972,Page 184.Andy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connollystn said:

With it being St Valentin'e Day tomorrow it's likely that the lovely guys at IRM Towers will make that all important 'Major' announcement - I'll be expecting a card in the post! Mind, Noel got nothing from them for his birthday which was last week and all he ended up with was two Munster Rugby tops.

That was me and I got an IRFU fleece as well that I proudly wore on Saturday with my green jersey.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Is there anything that the Irish and British pocket platforms share?

Manufacturer and design concept.. Not sure if much else beyond that..

Different lengths and bogies, plus the existing Dapol model make an IRM/Accurscale overlap model unlikely.. Lots of other wagons to be done first in both ranges 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, MOGUL said:

Manufacturer and design concept.. Not sure if much else beyond that..

Different lengths and bogies, plus the existing Dapol model make an IRM/Accurscale overlap model unlikely.. Lots of other wagons to be done first in both ranges 

So while nice, they don't fit that modular / multi-use mindset that most IRM products to date have.

10 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So while nice, they don't fit that modular / multi-use mindset that most IRM products to date have.

You could probably find some overlap to come up with some sort of modular construction that could reduce the costs versus tooling two seperate wagons for each market.. Plus the Irish bogie is already available in the IRM range..

But even in terms of interest, the CPWs would likely be much lower on people’s list than say an LX flat or an Ammonia(which has a very similar UK prototype for Accurascale).. They only ran 2003-2005 and then intermittently between about 2011 and 2019.. I know I would be happy to stick with my resprayed Dapol KTA/KQA which look pretty close when loaded with 2 empty tanks or a 40ft container for the next 3-4 years, rather than splash out for new models at the expense of say the MK2s or an extra ICR

• Agree 1

A 25436 Series Flat-Pallet Cement-Beet Double would be an obvious candidate for IRMs modular approach.

The flats were introduced into traffic as a general purpose flat wagon in the Mid-60s, retrofitted with cuplocks following the introduction of ISO containers (8' high) in the late 60s.

The Pallett Cement and Beet Double wagons were converted from redundant 25436 Series Flats displaced by bogie and skeletal flat wagons capable of carrying 8'6" containers.

Some steel floored flats remained in service principally for carrying Bitumen and Oil Containers.

The Pallet Cement wagons were originally built with double vertically opening doors. The vertical doors were replaced by curtains siders on an an-adhoc basis from the late 80s onwards as doors required replacement.

3 wagons several variations.

1. 25436 Flat as introduced grey with fold down stanchions, (a) 1960s era CIE containers and Lancashire Flats (b) Late 60s 8' ISO containers CIE, Bell, B&I, Guinness 20' Lancashire Flat swap body., Back-Back Lancashire flat/swap body.

2. 25436 Flat brown (a) Late 60s 8' ISO containers CIE, Bell, B&I, Guinness 20' Lancashire Flat swap body., Back-Back Lancashire flat/swap body. (b) 8' Bitumen Container.

4. Bagged cement as introduced blue with Irish Cement Logo balanced doors

5. Bagged cement blue no logo balanced doors

6. Bagged cement curtain sider

7. Beet double.

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

The most glaring omissions are carriages and railcars pre-Mk 2 times.

Timber framed / bodied coaches of NCC, GNR & GSR origin are needed, as are CIE laminates, Bredins & Park Royals.

But above all, the AEC railcar. You simply can't have a 1950-75 layout on the UTA, CIE or GNR without them - especially CIE. They were the ICRs of their day. A very large number of passenger trains were operated exclusively by them - as far afield as Cork to Bantry and Waterford to Tramore!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The most glaring omissions are carriages and railcars pre-Mk 2 times.

Timber framed / bodied coaches of NCC, GNR & GSR origin are needed, as are CIE laminates, Bredin's & Park Royals.

Would be nice to see some of the early CIE stock being produced as my silver and black A class locomotives are redundant at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Mayner said:

1. 25436 Flat as introduced grey with fold down stanchions, (a) 1960s era CIE containers and Lancashire Flats (b) Late 60s 8' ISO containers CIE, Bell, B&I, Guinness 20' Lancashire Flat swap body., Back-Back Lancashire flat/swap body.

2. 25436 Flat brown (a) Late 60s 8' ISO containers CIE, Bell, B&I, Guinness 20' Lancashire Flat swap body., Back-Back Lancashire flat/swap body. (b) 8' Bitumen Container.

4. Bagged cement as introduced blue with Irish Cement Logo balanced doors

5. Bagged cement blue no logo balanced doors

6. Bagged cement curtain sider

7. Beet double.

1 & 2 are a wee bit too late or much too early for me but 4-7 I would certainly be in the market for! 

• Like 1