Irish Royalty - Park Royal Coach Next For IRM

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Bandon tanks er? well SSM do an etched kit, or I wonder if anyone makes a 3D print of them the problem with that is then fining a chassis for the body, they are no doubt a fine looking loco, but I don't think I could do with just one, plus I do wonder how I can justify them running into Downpatrick except for some sort of religious festival of which I am not aware of😃.   

Well the bandons were simular enough to the BCDR tanks perhaps a bandon in BCDR livery would look right 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:24 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

Livery isint too bad either. 1 green stripe and detail from being accurate…maybe a few shades lighter here and darker there.

I might take the bus down there during the week. I hear from one of there curators they have gotten some locomotive and coaching stock upgrades since  

A few of the early ones indeed seem to have got the dark green and eau de nil. Most photos I've seen show single stripe but have come across one which shows a second stripe above the windows too. Some of us put several late hours researching this for the Park Royal at Downpatrick, was not good for the OCD. 😁 Should we go with one stripe or two etc.

You can actually see one of the single stripe dark green ones on the cover of Chris Larkin's West Cork book. 

• Like 1

1944 in the early green at Downpatrick. And yes, I know that technically it wouldn't have carried this livery as a brake conversion or with the plated over windows but it's actually one of the very early ones (originally numbered 1381, so the 3rd in the batch) so quite likely would have been one of the ones to carry it.

Given the RPSI ones generally carried the lighter green it's something different anyway.

52237180899_b6b766a587_o.jpg

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Niles said:

A few of the early ones indeed seem to have got the dark green and eau de nil. Most photos I've seen show single stripe but have come across one which shows a second stripe above the windows too. Some of us put several late hours researching this for the Park Royal at Downpatrick, was not good for the OCD. 😁 Should we go with one stripe or two etc.

You can actually see one of the single stripe dark green ones on the cover of Chris Larkin's West Cork book. 

What I’ve uncovered in my time looking at the west cork AEC railcar sets is that there was always something in a different livery. In one of those “green Irish railway dvds” i don’t know the name. An AEC railcar comes through drimoleague but instead it’s the AEC railcar in dark green and the intermediate Park Royal  in light green

infairness in those days @Niles there was a good bit of experimenting and one offs. West cork even had its own regional livery of unlined dark green. Or C class which supposedly got flying snail transfers applied to them. It’s not out of the question that something like that happened 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whestys SSM Bandon tank makes up into a very nice loco, is not a hard kit to build and it would be a shame if his sales dived because a ready to run version is brought out. I wonder how many J15 kits he has sold since 00 works delivered their J15? And I stick my hand up to owning an 00 works one.  I still think the D&SER 2-6-0 is the one for a manufacturer to go for as its a visible loco that would be at home on many/all the layouts featured on this group.  For me the interest in Irish Railways is building and adapting models to fit the Irish scene; but that's just me sayin!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

What I’ve uncovered in my time looking at the west cork AEC railcar sets is that there was always something in a different livery. In one of those “green Irish railway dvds” i don’t know the name. An AEC railcar comes through drimoleague but instead it’s the AEC railcar in dark green and the intermediate Park Royal  in light green

infairness in those days @Niles there was a good bit of experimenting and one offs. West cork even had its own regional livery of unlined dark green. Or C class which supposedly got flying snail transfers applied to them. It’s not out of the question that something like that happened 

The idea that there was a fair bit of experimenting in colours isn't actually correct; aged weathering, and the same paint in some cases on timber, others on sheet board, and others on metal surfaces, gave that impression.

As you say, though, on the West Cork system there were some vehicles painted in a sort of "secondary stock" paint scheme. This was the standard dark green, still used on station buildings, road vahicles and buses until 1963; but without any lining. In some cases no snails either. While it was indeed to be seen in West Cork, it was also seen on the Cavan & Leitrim (the "bus-coach") and even more so the West Clare, where by the end every vehicle on that line was variously in the standard light green or the standard dark - in neither case with any lining at all, and few with "snails".

Some secondary wooden bogies and a few six-wheelers got the unlined "secondary" dark green too, on the main system.

I'm unaware of any diesel other than "A"s ever getting a snail; if anyone finds a pic of a "C" thus adorned I'd be interested to see it. Just about every model "G" seems to have a snail; in reality not one ever did.

You're right about the railcars. They were introduced before the lighter green ever appeared, so would have had the dark colour, but from the outset only had the thin waistline lining, not the full version. After '55, they were gradually repainted the lighter green. One at least - and this was a one-off - had UTA-style yellow and black stripes, but on the front of the roof, rather than below the cab windows as the UTA would have a few years later. And this railcar certainly worked in West Cork.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Whestys SSM Bandon tank makes up into a very nice loco, is not a hard kit to build and it would be a shame if his sales dived because a ready to run version is brought out. I wonder how many J15 kits he has sold since 00 works delivered their J15? ...

He'll likely sell one J15 kit to me because I want to try @Mayner's Z boiler conversion kit

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:44 AM, Niles said:

1944 in the early green at Downpatrick. And yes, I know that technically it wouldn't have carried this livery as a brake conversion or with the plated over windows but it's actually one of the very early ones (originally numbered 1381, so the 3rd in the batch) so quite likely would have been one of the ones to carry it.

Given the RPSI ones generally carried the lighter green it's something different anyway.

52237180899_b6b766a587_o.jpg

Well , if memory serves it became second in the batch after 1380 was converted to AM14.Wasn't 1381 refurbished to 1944 after being involved in the Cheryville accident?

EDIT: On reviewing the 1987 list of stock it looks like in addition the following coaches are missing from the PR 1379- sequence and may be the ones converted to TL brakes coaches 1941-8 c.1984.

1381, 1382, 1392, 1393, 1397, 1412, 1414

I presume that 1380 and 1408 were still AM 14 & AM 15 (c 1971) or had they been retired? I don't see them listed  in 1987 but I seem to be short of a brake coache above. Maybe one from the 1420 series?

1419 which had been Snack 2423 until c 1984? was back in the regular PR fleet 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3