Irish Royalty - Park Royal Coach Next For IRM

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

On 2/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, Wexford70 said:

Another example of mixed rolling stock. This time Cobh May 1971.

The train consists of what may be a 1953 built standard, a Park Royal, a "Dutch van" and a "Craven

B177 in Cobh

I thought the leading carriage looked to be a Harty GSR-built corridor third (flat sides), but I enlarged the photo and don't see any truss rods, so more probably a 1339 series CIE built corridor third (second by 1971).

On a separate note, the Suburban Park Royals only seem to have got TL cabling c1980/1 or so.

Edited by BSGSV
Mistake!
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi for the Brexit challenged among the forum how do I pre order in UK. I am sure sagely advice given but cannot now find it.  Efforts in my tiny IT challenged mind have failed and just a bit frustrated at my uselessness with anything IT.

Hoping I can be rescued!

Robert 

You should be able to order them from the IRM website:

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/park-royal-coaches

I'm open to correction here, but I believe that your order will be VAT free, with the VAT payable locally on receipt of your coaches.

2 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Thanks for that - that has prices in £ not Euros and I could not get past that stage, now site does not want to use my password, reset email  next ...

I assume it displays in the buyer's local currency by default.

@Fowler4f has successfully ordered from the Sunny Uplands filled with Unicorns.

EDIT: IRM's .com and .co.uk sites, like the Accurascale .com and .eu sites, all require different accounts, so you may need to set up a new account if your email address is not returning any hits.

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Agree 1

Hi got it done now two double strip vehicles to go with the gene car MK1s - hopefully next time lads !  Ballina branch sorted for the little people. 

But I have several kit ones on the go!! 

Fun thing is these are same price as a farish MK2 air con coach that is not even new tooling just art deco changes, and these Park Royals have a slightly more niche market.. 

Thanks for the help 

Robert 

Edited by Robert Shrives
added info
  • Like 1

• Accurate CIÉ Commonwealth bogies, with separate detailing where appropriate, that allows for the option of re-gauging to Irish Broad Gauge (21mm).
  • Brake blocks aligned with wheels, allowing for the option of moving outwards for Irish Broad Gauge.
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, Galteemore said:

• Accurate CIÉ Commonwealth bogies, with separate detailing where appropriate, that allows for the option of re-gauging to Irish Broad Gauge (21mm).
  • Brake blocks aligned with wheels, allowing for the option of moving outwards for Irish Broad Gauge.

Thanks guys, the next question to ask is I wonder it the bogies will become a separate items at some stage

6D2209AC-56D0-43E5-ABE1-10407F7CA65B.thumb.jpeg.cbe042e6b4309bc8149ea231dcc5ec37.jpeg

1B1AE47F-B851-4720-9DB9-6C157EDB5D41.thumb.jpeg.a0f481f044cd675c6a643597a8c6377d.jpeg

D48B2192-6736-4DDF-AFEC-7E5DDF696BC1.thumb.jpeg.db6ab1056bf31531eceacf7575323453.jpeg

F94EA1D2-A48C-474D-947A-B58C83E3C409.thumb.jpeg.86261d62dfd013a9786ee46aa7c6565d.jpeg

B908637A-C076-47BD-B855-35B9FB6B6671.thumb.jpeg.ec47a93152a7f929921e3cfef2254726.jpeg

When growing up. My nostalgia for railways came from Park Royal’s too. Although probobly not the same as the rest of you guys who actually got to use them in service 

in 1994, 2 Park Royal’s landed at west cork model village. They were subsequently painted in green and paired with CSE mallow number 1 or 2 Ruston locomotive (I can’t remember) which came from the GSRPS at fenit. It’s sister from halfway Co.cork with a bullied wagon, CIE brake and WLWR coach. 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

in 1994, 2 Park Royal’s landed at west cork model village. They were subsequently painted in green and paired with CSE mallow number 1 or 2 Ruston locomotive (I can’t remember) which came from the GSRPS at fenit. It’s sister from halfway Co.cork with a bullied wagon, CIE brake and WLWR coach.

Do you think they'd notice if somebody lifted them back out one night and dropped them to Maam Cross?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

As far as I know there in the market for buying, not selling 😁 

LOL, who mentioned paying for them???

21 minutes ago, Broithe said:

We need someone with experience to direct the operation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/222883.stm

Excellent. Should be roaming free by now. Hopefully available for some freelance work.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

October 😆 

But which one? Seriously I hope it is something which there where many of in the class and with a few tweaks you could produce a few variations on a theme hopefully it might be any one of the following :-

Great Southern & Western Railway Class 101 or GSR Class J15

Or others could be the U2 or the W or WT NCC locos the W and WT i think have many common parts

From the GNR(I) you could have SG, SG2 or the SG3 again some parts are interchangeable

From South of the boarder you could have the classes 372 and 393 both 2-6-0 ex-Woolwich SR designs now this could fit in with a new accurascale model if they ever decide to make one, the only thing is I think the running boards may need to be wider for the Irish versions of these locos.

Then of course everyone will want a class 800 wont they?

The biggest problem I see for anyone making a Irish steam loco RTR model is the numbers in each prototype class.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Colin R said:

October 😆 

But which one? Seriously I hope it is something which there where many of in the class and with a few tweaks you could produce a few variations on a theme hopefully it might be any one of the following :-

Or others could be the U2 or the W or WT NCC locos the W and WT i think have many common parts

From the GNR(I) you could have SG, SG2 or the SG3 again some parts are interchangeable

From South of the boarder you could have the classes 372 and 393 both 2-6-0 ex-Woolwich SR designs now this could fit in with a new accurascale model if they ever decide to make one, the only thing is I think the running boards may need to be wider for the Irish versions of these locos.

The biggest problem I see for anyone making an Irish steam loco RTR model is the numbers in each prototype class.

You forgot the J26!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colin R said:

October 😆 

The biggest problem I see for anyone making a Irish steam loco RTR model is the numbers in each prototype class.

While its a nice idea its difficult to envisage a manufacturer producing a wide range of rtr Irish steam locos even where there are common parts between classes, factors include limited demand and price point.

The majority of models produced by IRM and MM are focused on the 70s-90s era, reflect the railways experienced by modellers in their 30-50 (largest group and greatest purchasing power) during their formative years, with a very small demographic group in their late 60s onwards having memories of steam in every day service.

Although Chinese factories will produce a minimum run of 1000 plastic injection rtr locos or items of locos or rolling stock a contract manufacture would need to sell a minimum of around 3 times that amount at the current British/Irish price point for a similar rtr model. I think the Managing Director of Accurascale (Stephen) spoke about min. sales projected sales of 4000 before producing a loco.

A number of Chinese and Korean manufacturers produced rtr metal (brass and nickel silver) models of locos and stock with a limited production run of 500 models which would need to sell at a price point 4-5 time that of an equivalent plastic injection rtr model.

Several years ago I looked at commissioning a rtr Irish OO Gauge steam loco direct from a Chinese manufacturer, I would have needed to sell 500 locos with a €5-600 price range to make a profit. Although original pricing was based on a Midland Cattle loco, I would probably produced a GNR S or Compound had sales projections stacked up.

OO Works have managed to sell approx. 100 of their Irish locos produced to date about twice the price point of a similar plastic injection loco, though I understand that the UG 0-6-0 which followed their first Irish loco the U 4-4-0 was slow to sell.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 4

20 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

6D2209AC-56D0-43E5-ABE1-10407F7CA65B.thumb.jpeg.cbe042e6b4309bc8149ea231dcc5ec37.jpeg

1B1AE47F-B851-4720-9DB9-6C157EDB5D41.thumb.jpeg.a0f481f044cd675c6a643597a8c6377d.jpeg

D48B2192-6736-4DDF-AFEC-7E5DDF696BC1.thumb.jpeg.db6ab1056bf31531eceacf7575323453.jpeg

F94EA1D2-A48C-474D-947A-B58C83E3C409.thumb.jpeg.86261d62dfd013a9786ee46aa7c6565d.jpeg

B908637A-C076-47BD-B855-35B9FB6B6671.thumb.jpeg.ec47a93152a7f929921e3cfef2254726.jpeg

When growing up. My nostalgia for railways came from Park Royal’s too. Although probobly not the same as the rest of you guys who actually got to use them in service 

We were only there on Monday funnily enough, had a good look at the coaches given the announcement the day before! 

IMG_20230501_143531.jpg

IMG_20230501_145355.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Colin R said:

October 😆 

But which one?

.....you could have the classes 372 and 393 both 2-6-0 ex-Woolwich SR designs now this could fit in with a new accurascale model if they ever decide to make one, the only thing is I think the running boards may need to be wider for the Irish versions of these locos....

There's a couple of differences between the 372s and 393s. Whilst the wheelbases are shared at 7'3" x 8'3", plus the wider overall width compared to the Southern Railway Ns and Us, there's also:

- 372s: 5ft 6in drivers; 393s: 6ft drivers

393s had a deeper drop in the footplate in order to maintain the same buffer centre heights as the 372s, plus small splashers over the topsof the drivers.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Well the first bit of the rolling stock turned up to day and it is a Bachmann BR Mk1 BG coach in green, I know its not quite right, but at least it will keep the Park Royals company for now. Just got to figure out a way to install 21mm gauge wheelsets.  

I think there has been an article on how to convert one of these to it Irish sister.

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mayner said:

OO Works have managed to sell approx. 100 of their Irish locos produced to date about twice the price point of a similar plastic injection loco, though I understand that the UG 0-6-0 which followed their first Irish loco the U 4-4-0 was slow to sell.

Actually, John, this is why I asked. 00 Works next Irish loco is another version of the J15.

This class meets all the typical IRM criteria - lots of them, many variants (and to some extent liveries), but on the same chassis. While Roderick's little locos are pretty good (I've got five of them), I don't think they'd match a "Full Fat" IRM one.

Hence my quandary is, do I order a Z  boiler / large tender J15 to go with my two 4'4" boiler, small tender locos? Knowing that a J15 is a pretty logical steam loco for them to do?

Part of me says, you're 77 in four weeks, Roderick will give you the engine this year and give you another year's (or maybe more) running it! Of course, there's the other issue that J15s never got to Portadown!

John, your other point on the low sales of the Class UG (and the U Class) was due to the perceived high price. I wish I'd bought a dozen Us / UGs then, I could have sold them at a decent profit - much better than current interest rates!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Barl said:

We were only there on Monday funnily enough, had a good look at the coaches given the announcement the day before! 

IMG_20230501_143531.jpg

IMG_20230501_145355.jpg

Livery isint too bad either. 1 green stripe and detail from being accurate…maybe a few shades lighter here and darker there.

I might take the bus down there during the week. I hear from one of there curators they have gotten some locomotive and coaching stock upgrades since  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Livery isint too bad either. 1 green stripe and detail from being accurate…maybe a few shades lighter here and darker there.

Two green stripes wrong, in fact - the waistline one and the top one! The middle one - which IS accurate, should continue across the doors too......

The colours are correct for the older green livery. However, while there is a black and white photo in existence that appears to show the dark coliur, and with an upper green band, that was certainly not the case for the vast majority, which started their lives silver, with the lighter green livery later - or else were the lighter green when new.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 1

Pre-ordered two of the green ones the other day: be nice to have them in a model West Cork at some point. I could take them down to the Model Village for a few photos too: I do live very close to it.

Being the West Cork man I am, a Bandon tank would be my steam of choice. In more practical terms I think a preserved steam engine would be sensible.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Darrman said:

Pre-ordered two of the green ones the other day: be nice to have them in a model West Cork at some point. I could take them down to the Model Village for a few photos too: I do live very close to it.

Being the West Cork man I am, a Bandon tank would be my steam of choice. In more practical terms I think a preserved steam engine would be sensible.

Hear that @BosKonay that’s 2 bandon tanks sold!!!😁

no I don’t think we can expect a RTR bandon, unless 00 works do one…in the next 20-30 years. Luckily should have the time to do the crime if everything goes well😁

As for the model village.well now you can have a Hornby Ruston 88ds run around a ring with 2 Park Royal’s….a model village train!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Hear that @BosKonay that’s 2 bandon tanks sold!!!😁

no I don’t think we can expect a RTR bandon, unless 00 works do one…in the next 20-30 years. Luckily should have the time to do the crime if everything goes well😁

As for the model village.well now you can have a Hornby Ruston 88ds run around a ring with 2 Park Royal’s….a model village train!

Bandon tanks er? well SSM do an etched kit, or I wonder if anyone makes a 3D print of them the problem with that is then fining a chassis for the body, they are no doubt a fine looking loco, but I don't think I could do with just one, plus I do wonder how I can justify them running into Downpatrick except for some sort of religious festival of which I am not aware of😃.   

Edited by Colin R