eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Cloud cuckoo land???

There are a shed load of MM baby GMs 161, 165, 188 and 182 for sale on flee bay, but for a staggering €165 each PLUS €20 postage, thats €185 each. Cloud cuckoo land prices when you can buy these new for under €120.

He unfortunatly has sold out of them

Not many new ones around

Remember that they were introduced in 07, nearly 10 years old now

Thanks Dave. Does you remember what RRP they were back in 2007? I bought my first one new from Fry museum and vaguely remember it priced about €85 but I could be confused. I see the 4 eBay ones have been reduced from €165 to €150 with free post in Ireland. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/322193048295?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Noel

Thanks Dave. Does you remember what RRP they were back in 2007? I bought my first one new from Fry museum and vaguely remember it priced about €85 but I could be confused. I see the 4 eBay ones have been reduced from €165 to €150 with free post in Ireland. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/322193048295?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Noel

They're reduced to €110, with free postage now! Gotta be a bargain at that?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a mk2 EGV (black roof) going on eBay for about €45 plus postage. I thought these were as rare as hens teeth, but this one didn't sell two weeks ago and was relisted. No bids and its 12mins to go! :) I already have one, but surprised this isn't in demand. It would be an easy respray of the roof only if somebody wanted an orange roofed one.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/112150713390?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah lad's please. I can understand people offering praise and encouragement, but just look at pics of the prototype. There is more wrong with that model than there is correct. The chimney, the dome, there aren't any whistles, and that's just the beginning. Things have come such a long way in recent years do we really wan't to go back to that being acceptable.

Rich,

Ah lad's please. I can understand people offering praise and encouragement, but just look at pics of the prototype. There is more wrong with that model than there is correct. The chimney, the dome, there aren't any whistles, and that's just the beginning. Things have come such a long way in recent years do we really wan't to go back to that being acceptable.

Rich,

Fair enough; personally, I prefer accuracy. However I would feel that there's a place for both. Standards have indeed come on, but the numbers of hours in a day and wallet size maybe haven't kept up!

Its stretching it a bit to describe cutting off the safety valves & whistle off the loco and painting it grey as a conversion from an M7 to 279.

The big draw back to rtr conversions is that apart from the Woolwich, Jinty & LMS 2P 4-4-0 few British rtr locos look anything close to an Irish loco.

The loco appears to be based on the original Triang-Hornby M7 from the late 60s owner probably would have been better to leave it in BR or SR livery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=triang-hornby+M7&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhornby+M7.TRS0&_nkw=hornby+M7&_sacat=0

Triang L1 4-4-0 a good basis for anyone wanting to have a go at a D2 or other large 4-4-0 Class D 2 - 337 - GS&WR Class 333 4-4-0 - built 1908 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1930 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1955 - seen here at Bray in 1938.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triang-Railways-R350-R36-Class-L1-4-4-0-Green-Livery-/332123972007?hash=item4d5421a1a7:g:X64AAOSwt5hYiRS-

Triang-Hornby discontinued the model in the late 1960s and left a huge gap for anyone looking for a simple reliable chassis for a 4-4-0

I agree with John that the L1 is a good starting point for producing any of the larger GSWR/GSR 4-4-0's. A number of people have made good representations over the years. The main drawback is that the loco is too long but shortening it is a major undertaking involving a new chassis. If you're going to that amount of trouble, then there are always the smaller wheeled versions, the 333 and 342 classes.

Incidentally, there always seems to be a fair number of L1's for sale on eBay.

Stephen