A first look at the new IRM Mark 2 Coaches

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Hi everyone,

Great news! Production of our Mark 2 coaches in NIR and RPSI livery is almost complete and we have been signing off the production samples. First up is a look at our special edition RPSI triple pack, long sold out and raising much needed funds for the society.

IRM-1247-RPSI(1)-2.thumb.jpg.f6580b75c6beac306b5682297a4286c1.jpg

IRM-1247-RPSI(3)-2.thumb.jpg.0daa4e86a3d3d4bce08b459f0c68be74.jpg

IRM-1247-RPSI(4)-2.thumb.jpg.7f1ca51fe521700e84d508bce2dd0dd6.jpg

IRM-1247-RPSI(2)-2.thumb.jpg.19b148e4d345287242b89bc53e4c6ec4.jpg

IRM-1247-RPSI(5)-2.thumb.jpg.60dbc23a21d84a4b83bd1768624536d0.jpg

IRM-1247-RPSI(6)-2.thumb.jpg.b81b7c16971dbae27bd999a88c5840ff.jpg

Shipping from the factory in China will commence next week and we hope to have them in stock in late October ahead of the three day Dublin show.

The RPSI sets along with the NIR sets are all sold out on pre-order, but some sets will become available when pre-orders are dispatched. Make sure you click the button to register your interest via email for when they come into stock via the following link: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/mark-2-coaches/products/rpsi-set-1

Also, look out for previews of the NIR coaches in the coming days!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

58 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Very crisp indeed. What's the story with the black axles? Any particular reason you've changed the design there compared to the P42s?

The coaches all have full pickups (and on board stayalive) for interior lighting (and head lighting on the DTs) so the axles are insulated. 

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Look really good. It wold be nice to see some a video of the running qualities Videos over points etc to see the couplings interact etc.? 

We're filming at the moment :)

You can also see the EP samples of these running from last year

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (7)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (6)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (5)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (4)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (3)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (2)-2.jpg

IRM1245-NIR-IC2 (1)-2.jpg

IRM1243-NIR-GBW1 (1) square.jpg

IRM1242-NIR-GB3 (1) square.jpg

IRM1241-NIR-GB2 (1) square.jpg

IRM1240-NIR-GB1 (1) square.jpg

38 minutes ago, murphaph said:

When was the very last time a Hunslet propelled one of these sets? Anyone know? Did they ever do so after the 111's entered service?

Here’s a video of Dundalk in 1984 with both 111s and Hunslets propelling the enterprise, so both were in traffic together 

Edited by Anders112
  • Like 4

On 23/8/2023 at 4:28 PM, BosKonay said:

The coaches all have full pickups (and on board stayalive) for interior lighting (and head lighting on the DTs) so the axles are insulated. 

I can't wait to convert these to 21mm. Big box of P4 profile coach wheels just waiting here......

They'll go well with the three Murphy RPSI Mk2s.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

These look fantastic. The detail is truly on another level.

Rockefeller once said his idea of enough was a little more....so may I be so bold in asking will there be anything steam-powered to haul those RPSI coaches?

On 29/8/2023 at 1:23 AM, Patrick Davey said:

Two amazing videos there - so much to see, all long gone.

And as for the H&S on the Hunslet tour...... yikes!

Non existent!

I recall footage on the DSER lines running specials for horseracing in the 1950s. People were opening the doors and getting off en masse on the trackside, while the train was still moving!

To boot, another train was coming in on the other track. One man was very nimble indeed to avoid it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Fiacra said:

A question for the IRM folks. Now that Mk2 delivery is on the horizon, are there plans to sell the scale-Irish-width B4 bogies as separate packs (e.g. to replace the narrower bogies on MM carriages)?

Almost sure that @BosKonay said no when I asked about this, as the bogies and lighting are integrated, but I'm open to correction.

Edited by DJ Dangerous
EDIT: That was in one of the earlier IRM Mk2 threads, not this one.
  • Informative 1

37 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Almost sure that @BosKonay said no when I asked about this, as the bogies and lighting are integrated, but I'm open to correction.

They are integrated with the pickup and lighting system however we are looking at ways we can package them up once al the runs have landed as we did for the 42’ flats / tara’s. We also have a tail lamp solution on the way as a small accessory add on. 

That sounds really awesome. I hope you can find a workable solution. I would replace all my MM B4 bogies with proper width ones. I think even 16.5mm modellers would be well advised to swap them because Irish coaching stock had/has a distinctive look thanks to the wide stance of the bogies. That character is lost running on 16.5mm bogies.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 29/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, Horsetan said:

....and here are the 28mm axles for them:

20230929_095942.jpg

The IRM supplied axles are insulated to work with the electrical pickup for the coach lighting etc. Are you planning to work without the lighting or have you an alternative solution as I am thinking your P4 axles are not insulated?

Tim

7 hours ago, TimO said:

The IRM supplied axles are insulated to work with the electrical pickup for the coach lighting etc. Are you planning to work without the lighting or have you an alternative solution as I am thinking your P4 axles are not insulated?

They are not insulated. I'll worry about lighting when I come to it.

• Agree 1