Tara's

Rate this topic

Jim

Stay with the programme Jim!!!

Hi guys,

We have just received an update on the Tara Wagons and their progress. Sadly it has been slower than initially promised, and naturally we are upset about it. We're getting a timely reminder about why we usually use airfreight, but mother nature has slowed progress down, coupled with the time of year and the sheer volume of traffic leaving China. 

We will have the Tara's in stock by November 30th, with packages being shipped the next day after we burn the midnight oil and conduct our own QC checks. The will be arriving with all customers who have placed orders so far by the end of the first week of December.

We would like to apologise about this delay once again, and we have had too many missed deadlines on these wagons. We thank you all sincerely for your patience and understanding, and we are making sure these these missed deadlines become a thing of the past with our new projects going forward.

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

• 3 weeks later...
They're here! Tara Mines Now in Stock!!

The wait is finally over, after a long and perilous journey from China, the Tara Mines wagons are now in stock and how good do they look? A perfect companion for your 071 or our forthcoming A!

The first tranche of orders left our warehouse today, with another huge amount to get through tomorrow! Here are some close ups, and with over half the production run already sold we cant see them sticking around for long. :)
327788827_TaraLayout1.thumb.jpg.86bb004668c856035eeb8f98846e7bcf.jpg

910615359_TaraLayourCloseup.thumb.jpg.e00ccf623068ba322177c3ded641bfae.jpg

2115670521_TaraUnderbelly.thumb.jpg.2c13e08beb4570b141b872174db76ba0.jpg

692849491_TaraLayout2.thumb.jpg.3677b7ddb0683156938a0f452059f6aa.jpg

1038829408_071IRMTaras.thumb.jpg.4aba0c843bb01785dbe1139ea61f08af.jpg

Don't miss out, order yours today! Thanks to everyone for your patience in waiting for these. It's been one hell of an ordeal, but we're delighted to finally have them here and making their way to you all! 

Cheers,

Fran
  • Like 8
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

21 minutes ago, Railer said:

Hope they don't bounce, there's a good bit of weight in them. Currently have 6 of the wagons on as a test and the weight of just them is very impressive. Going to see if I can get 082 here to shift all 20 of them. Going to be good load test haha. 

94g each. 

Got mine this morning and they are amazing. I'm really happy for the lads as they were really upset and disappointed when the weather put a spanner in the works and they had to take the long way to reach us. Fran always kept us up to date and informed with current news on when they hopefully would be here. 

From our side of the fence it was great to see how everyone showed such patience and support which I know really gave the lads a great lift. It's good to see such solid relations between manufacturer and customer's. 

The spare axle cups are also a nice touch as are the coupling bars.

Rich,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have to say that the track width versus prototype bogies is quite believable in Eamonn's photos, who needs 21mm, eh? 😛 

(A set of wheel pullers and you'll pop them wheels out to 21mm in a few mins, incidentally)

Glad they're going down so well with you lads, it's been a bloody pilgrammage...! 

R. 

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Mine arrived yesterday! Haven't had the time to even take a proper look at them yet but I will tonight. But they look fabulous!

Unfortunately due to the fact that I'm doing some major changes to my layout's track plan I won't be able to give them a proper run.>:(

But I'm hoping to get that sorted by the weekend...

• Like 1

They really look great running behind an 071, can't wait get an A up front. 

These Taras make you wish the MM 071s had rotating axel caps too, really adds to the running quality. They look great from every angle and just look "right". They really show up the design compromises Murphy had to make with the scale of the 71s in the buffer width spacing. 

Yet again, top marks lads. More than worth the wait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glenderg said:

I have to say that the track width versus prototype bogies is quite believable in Eamonn's photos, who needs 21mm, eh? 😛 

(A set of wheel pullers and you'll pop them wheels out to 21mm in a few mins, incidentally)

Glad they're going down so well with you lads, it's been a bloody pilgrammage...! 

R. 

News on 21mm conversion is good news and will have to see how easy it is.

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As Richie @Glenderg pointed out from Eamon's photos, the important thing is they look great on the typical 16.5mm track that 99%+ of us all use. Aside from the impressive model and scale detailing, I am also very impressed with some of the key innovations (i.e. since the ballast and bubble wagons):

• NEM pocket mounted on independent swivel plate - closer coupling - reliable running on shorter radius curves.
  • Optional close coupling bar provided as alternate to TLCs which - facilitate close coupled fixed rakes.
  • Rotating axle boxes.
  • Detailing pack consumer added avoids unboxing damage, transit vibration and option of joined hoses.
  • Sprung buffers.
  • Wagon Weight.
  • Darkened wheels.
  • . . . and the body detailing

Really looking forward to these wagons. They are not really my modelling era and I never saw the prototype in the flesh until last July passing a siding in Limerick, but they look so good my 'resistance proved futile'. :) Looking forward to running these. Bar raised yet again more than a few notches.

Congrats guys.  :tumbsup: They may have been late and even suffered some sea sickness on route, but worth waiting for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dead Kennedy said:

The Tara Mines wagons look absolutely brilliant. Well done.  I am hoping that the original versions in blue will be released in the not too distant future?

Well we tooled the correct lid for them, and we have a couple of SuperTrain A's on the way in the not too distant future....  ;)

We're coming up on 70% sell out on these beauties already, and we're doing our best to keep up with demand. Thanks to everyone for the support! 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Well we tooled the correct lid for them, and we have a couple of SuperTrain A's on the way in the not too distant future....  ;)

We're coming up on 70% sell out on these beauties already, and we're doing our best to keep up with demand. Thanks to everyone for the support! 

Cheers,

Fran

That would be brilliant, Thank you Fran/IRM

• Like 1

Fitted Kadee no 18s to NEM pockets today and height seems perfect. Effortless swapping out the TLCs and pop in the no 18s. Magnetic uncoupling working well and they look great coupled close together almost buffer to buffer. They look delicious behind B&T GM consists. 

IMG_8852b.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Has anyone tried the supplied close coupling bars?

Not yet, but the kadee no 18 NEM couplings couple up pretty close

IMG_8855b.jpg

Close coupled with kadee no 18s plugged straight into NEM pockets work really well pushing or pulling and enable pretty close coupling. Uncoupling magnets worked well with the Tara's

IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Unpacked mine last night and finally had the chance to examine them up close. Lads, the build quality, detail and finish on these wagons is absolutely top notch! Can't wait to give them a spin on the layout.....

14 hours ago, Noel said:

Fitted Kadee no 18s to NEM pockets today and height seems perfect. Effortless swapping out the TLCs and pop in the no 18s. Magnetic uncoupling working well and they look great coupled close together almost buffer to buffer. They look delicious behind B&T GM consists. 

IMG_8852b.jpg

Yeah the nem pockets are absolutely spot on these wagons, another welcome detail.

To be honest I'll probably add draft box Kadees to these in the future, like I did with the cement bubbles, but it's great to have perfect compatibility out of the box and not have to faff around with plastic shims or glueing Kadees under the pockets!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Unpacked mine last night and finally had the chance to examine them up close. Lads, the build quality, detail and finish on these wagons is absolutely top notch! Can't wait to give them a spin on the layout.....

Yeah the nem pockets are absolutely spot on these wagons, another welcome detail.

To be honest I'll probably add draft box Kadees to these in the future, like I did with the cement bubbles, but it's great to have perfect compatibility out of the box and not have to faff around with plastic shims or glueing Kadees under the pockets!

The NEM362/kinematic coupler assemblies on the wagons should make draft boxes redundant. It’s also why we included close coupling bars with the Tara’s.