IRM Fert Now Available To Pre-order

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

30 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

As above should Britain eventually leave the EU from a Vat point of view all of our euro orders would shift to originate in the EU rendering any such worries null :)

we do our best to make life easy for you guys. 

By that time, Scotland might be back in and they could come across the new bridge...   :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Railer said:

Either PM scaled the 071s too small or the ferts are too tall or a bit of both. The fert roof profile should more or match an 071 in height and shape?

No the Fert sits higher. I loved the Ferts and have seen them hauled hundreds of times by 071's 141 181 classes and they were always  higher. Especially so at platform height.

When a locos wheels were turned down at the wheel lathe in Inchicore the wheel diameter radius would be smaller albeit slightly. 

Rich,

• Like 1

Ferts are distinctively tall, even taller than 201s. Our measurements check out against the drawings of the real thing and difference in height to locos. You can even see how much difference there is against the A in the previous page. Also remember that the highest point of an 071 is in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

How much radius might you lose between a new wheel and one that's been turned/worn down to the minimum?

I don't know for these vehicles in particular, and in general the range varies rail vehicle to rail vehicle, but as an example a LUAS tram's tyres are 660mm when new down to a minimum allowed 580mm when worn.

• Informative 2

43 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I don't know for these vehicles in particular, and in general the range varies rail vehicle to rail vehicle, but as an example a LUAS tram's tyres are 660mm when new down to a minimum allowed 580mm when worn.

So a 40mm height change in that case, if nothing else alters.

6 hours ago, Railer said:

Either PM scaled the 071s too small or the ferts are too tall or a bit of both. The fert roof profile should more or match an 071 in height and shape?

Just out of interest how did you arrive at the conclusion that one or both models were scaled wrongly.

Rich,

5 hours ago, RedRich said:

Just out of interest how did you arrive at the conclusion that one or both models were scaled wrongly.

Rich,

Just by eye in the videos of the models running and from photos of the real things. I was using the side window of the 071 against the side of the fert as a rough guide.

1428992511_Screenshot2020-02-10at21_22_57.png.365caf9ed8a525ad3f2a55a119eea373.png

3025809_e2879e31.jpg

In addition to our extensive 'high tech' methods for ensuring the cad and model are an identical replica of the real thing, the 'mark 1 eyeball' can determine that the profile, matches the 'fat' part of the 071 (which is the tall part in the middle) pretty much exactly. The ferts are actually bigger and taller than 141/181s or even 201's as Fran mentioned above.

11 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The ferts are actually bigger and taller than 141/181s or even 201's as Fran mentioned above.

And so they should and is very evident in the models too.

It's the picture in page 2 of this thread with 113 in the modern NIR livery hauling a rake of ferts that had me. It must be the angle making of the shot making the 071 profile appear taller against the fert wagons.

Either way, when are these going up, I missed placing an order.☺️

21 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Thanks everyone!

Just to let you know that the remaining stock of Fertilisers goes on sale today at 5pm on our website. We are unable to take orders until then, so there is no point calling or emailing us. Sorry!

Cheers!

Fran

Is this all the stock gone or is it like the PFAs (excellent wagons BTW) where that was extra stock coming in my ship weeks later?

47 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well another vote of confidence from me, lovely models - graced the office desk today !   I am sure a second run will come in time but after the A , C ,class 80, Beet double decker, BR based heating van and a 47 foot flat or maybe between one of the forgoing !

Not wish listing of course !!

thanks IRM gang.

Robert  

Yes the Fertiliser Wagons are stunning. But I'd hope something like the CIE AEC 2600 class DMU might make the IRM futures list before a NIR 80. :)

• Like 2

Just nabbed 2 bundles for myself. I thought these would hang around alot longer before I had to pull the trigger. 

Lads must be delighted these sold so well considering all the adjustments and thinkering that was needed to get them to their standard.

Have the ferts, bells and bubbles, all that's needed is the kegs to complete the perfect cross border mixed liner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BosKonay said:

As above should Britain eventually leave the EU from a Vat point of view all of our euro orders would shift to originate in the EU rendering any such worries null :)

we do our best to make life easy for you guys. 

thanks for that takes a big headache away

26 minutes ago, NIR said:

including a 48 tonner, strengthened to carry peat briquettes I think.

I'm not to well up on how the ferts ran, but I believe it was mentioned on here a few times that the 48s kept to themselves and never really mixed in rakes of non modified wagons. 

Now, a job for the rivit counters, matching up the 48s with their real running numbers if you wanted a full rake of different numbered 48 modified wagons. That would be a challenge 

16 hours ago, BosKonay said:

In addition to our extensive 'high tech' methods for ensuring the cad and model are an identical replica of the real thing, the 'mark 1 eyeball' can determine that the profile, matches the 'fat' part of the 071 (which is the tall part in the middle) pretty much exactly. The ferts are actually bigger and taller than 141/181s or even 201's as Fran mentioned above.

You were able to defend your product there without the help of anyone in the audience but more importantly, who the lad making off with the beer keg? 😀

3025809_e2879e31.jpeg

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Hi Railer, 

They were uprated from 40 tonnes in the late 90's when bag sizes, pallet sizes and amount of fertiliser bags changed, thereby dictating the "48 Tonnes" marking on the later packs. Research shows that the "48 tonners" ran with ordinary rakes, hence why they were branded "48 tonners" on the doors. But some loading points had different grades of fertiliser, different bags, so depending on the density of cargo, they were apportioned to the appropriate wagon. As I understand, it was for the benefit of the forklift operator to make sure he didn't fall over, if he could handle a certain density pallet.

By the time they had left service, all were uprated to 48 tonnes and since 40 tonnes had become obsolete, (because the pallet size had come into alignment with EC regs, and the bags too) the need to "tag" as "48 tonnes" the wagons just phased out, and all the unloading operatives knew what they were handling. 

R. 

• Informative 4

16 hours ago, enniscorthyman said:

I was down at the Wexford Model Railway club this evening and had a good look at a fellow members 2 Ferts that he got.I was very impressed by them as were everyone who viewed them.Well done to IRM.In one of the photos I posted,a MIR Fert is shown with the IRM pair.

20200211_194456.jpg

Yea stunning. The MIR is not on the same planet. The finesse and detail on these are the best yet. Fab wagons of substance.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Noel said:

Yea stunning. The MIR is not on the same planet. The finesse and detail on these are the best yet. Fab wagons of substance.

Noel,

Ah, come on now! MIR was run from someones home. The people involved held-down full time jobs and one also cared for his family too.

Of their time they were a quality product, and many of us were extremely grateful for these kits. Their efforts and models: Locomotive bodies, Ammonia Wagons flats, as well as  their  brass  sides,  assisted many of us in creating  realistic rolling stock for our model railways. It is unfair to compare one with the other. If one is going to draw comparisons between these two manufacturers, that comparison has to be fair and favourably measured. To state "The MIR is not on the same Planet" is, in my opinion, unjustified, shows a complete lack of understanding, and very much - lacking in good-taste. 

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 9
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Old Blarney said:

Noel,

Ah, come on now! MIR was run from someones home. The people involved held-down full time jobs and one also cared for his family too.

Of their time they were a quality product, and many of us were extremely grateful for these kits. Their efforts and models: Locomotive bodies, Ammonia Wagons flats, as well as  their  brass  sides,  assisted many of us in creating  realistic rolling stock for our model railways. It is unfair to compare one with the other. If one is going to draw comparisons between these two manufacturers, that comparison has to be fair and favourably measured. To state "The MIR is not on the same Planet" is, in my opinion, unjustified, shows a complete lack of understanding, and very much - lacking in good-taste. 

Ah yes that’s fair comment. I should have added they were very acceptable in their day, folks were delighted to have models of Irish rolling stock that were not available RTR. My point was things have moved on and the IRM wagons have raised the bar so high that the MIR kits are not on the same page which is true. Not a criticism just an observation of fact and praise for how far IRM have taken Irish rolling stock.

• Like 3