IRM Fert Now Available To Pre-order

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Mine arrived today much to the chagrin of the Ladies in the office as they got SFA on Valentines day!! Great timing,

Very impressed with the faded CIE wheel too.

Having made a good few MIR Ferts the difference in additional detail is astonishing and would of taken hours and hours of extra work to try to get somewhat close so I can really appreciate these masterpieces in their RTR Glory!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

Another box of Fertiliser wagons arrived yesterday. Love these stunning master pieces. Really appreciate the finess and fine detail. They run free as a bird too. Watching some old videos earlier I noticed these wagons below. Fertiliser wagons with what looks like steel mesh sides. Did they start out line this and switch to sold doors later? Presume the fertiliser bags were plastic so rain proof. Also was there a reason the centre compartments were not fully loaded (eg load limit, etc)?

CIE_Fert_Wagon_1974.thumb.jpg.961be9c6b337e1f4eac1ddab6d92b30c.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, Broithe said:

I understand, from my Goods Receiving personnel, that mine have arrived.

I'm currently assembling the necessary quality assessment protocols and should be able to give a preliminary report in a few day's time.

A preliminary assessment has taken place - as before, the brakes appear to be seized on the 'off' position  - and there seems to be no oil in the buffers for damping purposes - otherwise, they seem OK.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, Noel said:

Another box of Fertiliser wagons arrived yesterday. Love these stunning master pieces. Really appreciate the finess and fine detail. They run free as a bird too. Watching some old videos earlier I noticed these wagons below. Fertiliser wagons with what looks like steel mesh sides. Did they start out line this and switch to sold doors later? Presume the fertiliser bags were plastic so rain proof. Also was there a reason the centre compartments were not fully loaded (eg load limit, etc)?

CIE_Fert_Wagon_1974.thumb.jpg.961be9c6b337e1f4eac1ddab6d92b30c.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

Quick version (sorry) This was discussed somewhere  maybe earlier on this thread (I don't recall off hand). Started with mesh doors which proved (more) problematic than the final doors. There was some debate as to whether they only ran that way in trials or in traffic iirc but in any case it was short lived.

CIE logos on the mesh. The fertilizer bags themselves were waterproof and they were shrink wrapped in a secondary plastic on 5 sides (I think) while on the pallet. Two centre: load limit momentum arm so far from the bogies

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

19 hours ago, Sleeper said:

Ferts waiting to be loaded. Well impressed with the models 👍

20200220_220023.jpg

Those loads look fantastic. All you need now is a fork lift truck. Wonder if I would be brave enough to model an open door on one of those lovely wagons for a yard scene such as this.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, K801 said:

Are the ferts still used or are they stored/gone?

At least one rake of fertiliser wagons were converted to container wagons as fertiliser traffic tailed off during the mid-1990s. I remember seeing some converted wagons during a visit to Inchacore Works, but don't remember whether they kept their floors.

1 hour ago, DART8118 said:

I take it that laden fertiliser wagons reached all parts of the network.  Were the return trips empty wagons or were they used for transporting other goods on part of the journey?

8118, they were empty on the return journey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, popeye said:

Nice :D 

He is overloading that bay :facepalm:

Never mind overload the bay, the forklift is grossly overloaded!

The forklift is likely to tip over attempting to load 4 pallets in one lift😩.

Image result for container forklift tip over

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2