Big day for Accurascale tomorrow when the first Deltics arrive with customers

Rate this topic

Noel

Big day for Accurascale tomorrow when the first Deltics arrive with UK customers. The UK market has not yet experienced an IRM/AS quality locomotive spec yet, tomorrow will be a seismic day confirming AS excellent credentials in the UK market. There may be ruffled feathers at Bachmann and Hornby.  I'm sure as the percieved Irish upstarts who said 'why not' succeeded beyond anybodies expectations. Looking forward to reading plaudits and glowing feedback on RMweb tomorrow. It all started here with the humble Irish Ballast wagon. Celtic warriors breaking the mould, and changing ideas about what's possible with models. Well done guys.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Have to agree with Noel's sentiments. Following on my own experience with the A classes [MVs and EMDs] I've no doubt that British Railway modelers will be blown away by the Accurascale Deltics. I've always been a big fan of the Class 55, had the Lima two tone green version in the 80s, and Accurascale certainly haven't made it easy for themselves modelling such an icon but you can see from the pictures that they seem to have caught the spirit of this locomotive. A lot of guys are going to experience tomorrow what we did when we did last year when we got our hands on the A class.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, a truly great day here after a long, hard slog. The team that worked on it put their heart and souls into it and it will show. Our CAD man is especially buzzing today.

I might even have a celebratory Makky Ds this evening while others soak up the plaudits 😉

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Sutton Locomotive works too. It will be interesting to see what Model Railway Journal make of the new Deltic. Nothing if not picky, but willing to praise where it is due and you'd certainly think they should.

Grew up to the sound of those Napiers on the ECML and saw them all eventually. Always looked forward to being hauled by one when going to/from college in London. Drivers seemed to enjoy the extra power over a class 47 and you always got 100mph down Stoke Bank. Best run though was on the Aberdeen Mail, which always loaded to 15 bogies or more and did Grantham to Newark (just over 14 miles) start to stop in 12 minutes 30 seconds, hauling well over 500 tons. It was dark, so couldn't get actual speed by timing the mileposts, but the demonic howl from those engines was quite something. Likewise a growing concern that we weren't going to stop at Newark, but we did, just!

However, when the 125s arrived, it was another step up in speed, when I found we'd got to Grantham (105 miles from Kings Cross) in exactly an hour. Somehow not as iconic as a Deltic though...

The name Deltic comes from the triangular arrangement of the cylinders. It wasn't unknown for one to much a hole in the engine casing - pretty catastrophic and known to crews as 'putting a leg out of bed'. I believe that riding in the engine compartment was not advised at speed for that very reason.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bob229 said:

One of my first loco's was a Lima Deltic, the Accurascale Deltic reaches a new level in model standards all sold out before arrival too no doubt Hornby etc will be watching, well done all in Accurascale 

Same here - blue with the yellow ends

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Noel said:

image.png.57d6a35c8094dc2bf06535e773276f

From RMweb where a lot of happy customers are opening boxes

They look fantastic, this one caught my eye 

883F29BB-2F7A-46A2-80F2-6CA17E0D5D6A.thumb.jpeg.c86740ce40cf0892dc9d9a71330c7ea5.thumb.jpeg.e821a0fa212a8adf1ab8f6957f1061a0.jpeg

The Lads better be careful now, I'm almost inclined to get one despite it not being at all my era or country of preference!

Really stunning, the Deltics have a real presence about them.

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

18 hours ago, Sean said:

071 is next....right.....RIGHT?

Not bad, but only six on and 25mph. Now imagine one with 13 coaches, over 400 tons, full throttle, around 85mph on the climb to Peascliffe Tunnel.

The two tone green my favourite - worked pretty well on all the BR diesels, though steam locos, where they still existed, we're pretty filthy by then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Not bad, but only six on and 25mph. Now imagine one with 13 coaches, over 400 tons, full throttle, around 85mph on the climb to Peascliffe Tunnel.

The two tone green my favourite - worked pretty well on all the BR diesels, though steam locos, where they still existed, we're pretty filthy by then.

I had a change at Retford in 1974 - one came through on the slight curve through the high-level station, giving the impression that it could produce its own tunnel through anything.

I failed to count the coaches.

• Funny 1

The power unit was so effective (it was a marine diesel) that the Royal Navy was still using it in front line service until 2008. I saw one being started up in 1989 on an RN minesweeper. Not sure how the rail version was started but the marine version used shotgun type cartridges to initiate the combustion sequence. The Northern Ireland patrol ship (usually a Ton class) was Napier powered, so Deltic engines could be heard around the Irish coast from Lough Foyle to Carlingford.

The locos were classic engines, worthy successors  on the ECML to the A3s and A4s - great to see Accurascale producing such a fine model. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The power unit was so effective (it was a marine diesel) that the Royal Navy was still using it in front line service until 2008. I saw one being started up in 1989 on an RN minesweeper. Not sure how the rail version was started but the marine version used shotgun type cartridges to initiate the combustion sequence. The Northern Ireland patrol ship (usually a Ton class) was Napier powered so Deltic engines could be heard around the coast from Lough Foyle to Carlingford.

The locos were classic engines, worthy successors  on the ECML to the A3s and A4s - great to see Accurascale producing such a fine model. 

The Hunt class ships had their last Deltic replaced in 2018, apparently - so, Brocklesby might still have had one when I intercepted it on Ulysses in 2013.

106372178_June2013015.thumb.JPG.f83dd5443092fbdadbe8fd70abb3b8f8.JPG

I couldn't hear the exhaust clearly.

• Like 1

Thanks @Broithe- the refurb prog started in 2008 but probably took time, as you say, to work through - think they went over to Caterpillar plant instead throughout the fleet. With all the lagging, and sound baffles that a ships decks and bulkheads imposes, I suppose the marine diesel noise is often much less clear than on a loco. I think that the new models will sound fab being put through their paces on some of the great ECML layouts out there.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

Presumably, there are decent sound chips available? The Chatham Club have a big 00 layout. Wonder if anyone is interested?!?

There again, we have an 0 gauge layout too. Heljan do a Deltic, I think, so couple of grand for one of these and eight Mark1s should make for a nice bit of nostalgia - or maybe not!

On 17/6/2022 at 8:37 AM, Bob229 said:

One of my first loco's was a Lima Deltic, the Accurascale Deltic reaches a new level in model standards all sold out before arrival too no doubt Hornby etc will be watching, well done all in Accurascale 

I do not think Hornby will be too bothered about the new Accurascale Deltic. As far as I can see Accurascale have sold out all of the stock so if you still want a Deltic the Hornby one will perhaps be the only one in stock at your supplier. Fair enough the Hornby one is not in the same league as the Accurascale model but you accept that if you buy one. If it is not for you don't buy it. Me, I have a blue Lima Deltic which I am very fond of. Why you ask? Well my father walked from Drimnagh to Leinster Models in Phibsborough and bought it for me. It still has the pipe tobacco smell that comes with everything bought at Leinster models. Still runs beautifully. When I get an Accurascale Deltic both will be run.  The Accurascale Deltic will look like it's just have an overhall and a new paint job and is just out on the tracks. They do look well but will probably look even better in my hands, with my glasses on and the light on too. 

• Like 3

Great to sea such an overwhelmingly positive customer response to AS's Deltic arriving these past few days. Respect, AS entered the Lions den with a Roar. Congrats on a successful business expansion. Better than German standards of model engineering but at UK model prices (ie Hornby/Bachmann). 👍 (now about those CIE laminates) 🤣

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/139650-accurascale-class-55-deltic-4mm-scale/page/197/#comments

Nearly 200 RMweb pages on the deltic thread alone must be a record for a new product launch in Britain.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

On 18/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, spudfan said:

We are being told by the Taoiseach that Anglo-Irish relations are at an all time low. Surely this is hardly the time to be launching models of this calibre onto the UK market? 😀

It’s a secret operation to spread anti-Brexit spores through the air over there. Better check the loco exhaust? Sssssshhhh!

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Well I see Sam's Trains has a review up um Youtube. But you guys will have to tell me how it goes, 'coz I will not watch it!😀

Mostly fine other than a weird tangent about couplers which was debunked and then the most nonsensical whinge about the nem coupler coming out hauling the weight of 67 coaches. I give him a lot of slack but this felt nitpicky.

I've seen worse, saw a video of a lad reviewing an A class which had a handrail that came off. Now fair is fair, I expect everything to be in place when it comes out of the box, paid good money after all but his whinging about it being completely unacceptable was beyond me.

Bad reviews get the views it seems

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

His 'layout' kills me 

Laid out on the floor! 😀

17 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

I've seen worse, saw a video of a lad reviewing an A class which had a handrail that came off. Now fair is fair, I expect everything to be in place when it comes out of the box, paid good money after all but his whinging about it being completely unacceptable was beyond me.

Oh I must find that one!

Ok, I watched part of the review and all I'll say is:

1) The slow speed performance. I don't think an hour is long enough of a run-in time to hang your conclusions on. I find it takes quite a bit longer to get optimum performance from a brand new motor and he's also using DC!

2) The couplers. He says there at the "wrong height". Does he realise there is no standard height for tension locks? We have a standard NEM pocket height but half the time it's not adhered to by manufactures and you often come across cranked couplers which can have them at any height! Not to mention the fact that every coupling he shows on his own stock seems to be drooping! 

Sorry for the rant.....

• Like 4

On 18/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, Galteemore said:

The power unit was so effective (it was a marine diesel) that the Royal Navy was still using it in front line service until 2008. I saw one being started up in 1989 on an RN minesweeper. The Northern Ireland patrol ship (usually a Ton class) was Napier powered, so Deltic engines could be heard around the Irish coast from Lough Foyle to Carlingford.

Ah, but they were 5'3" gauge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, irishthump said:

Ok, I watched part of the review and all I'll say is:

1) The slow speed performance. I don't think an hour is long enough of a run-in time to hang your conclusions on. I find it takes quite a bit longer to get optimum performance from a brand new motor and he's also using DC!

2) The couplers. He says there at the "wrong height". Does he realise there is no standard height for tension locks? We have a standard NEM pocket height but half the time it's not adhered to by manufactures and you often come across cranked couplers which can have them at any height! Not to mention the fact that every coupling he shows on his own stock seems to be drooping! 

Sorry for the rant.....

Skipped through it. the wagons he was using had about a 5 Degree droop on there couplings so no wonder he had issues.

In the end it proves you can beat a P

Edited by Georgeconna

5 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Saw one of Pam's trains  YouTube videos once.  That was enough!!!    

The bit I saw he seemed glowingly positive about the Deltic and full of praise. Seems strange to review models on a train set layout on attic bedroom carpet. Looking forward to my deltic which should be arriving this week.

• Like 1