New murphy Models 141s

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

14 minutes ago, derek said:

Hi Oisin. Thanks for the reply, but I can't seem to download your videos. Thanks nonetheless  for taking time to upload them. From what you say in your reply, we seem to have similar set ups (and similar problems). I too use a pair of Hornby controllers. I have never had a problem before this with any of my locos. I have emailed IRM about it so we will see what develops. I wonder if anybody else is having this problem? (Although most probably use DCC) .Thanks again for the reply.

Derek

Hi Derek and Oisin,my Irish rail 181 made a similar noise when I first ran it on my DC layout. Got worried like yourself thinking there was something wrong.

On the instructions it says you have to let the gear in the motor to bed in by running it for a hour in each direction without any load . Left it running for two hours and have noticed the noise has faded significantly 🙌🏻

hope this helps

thanks 

Dave 

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, derek said:

Hi Oisin. Thanks for the reply, but I can't seem to download your videos. Thanks nonetheless  for taking time to upload them. From what you say in your reply, we seem to have similar set ups (and similar problems). I too use a pair of Hornby controllers. I have never had a problem before this with any of my locos. I have emailed IRM about it so we will see what develops. I wonder if anybody else is having this problem? (Although most probably use DCC) .Thanks again for the reply.

Derek

Not a bother Derek, happy to help if I can. Ohh ok that’s weird, I’m not sure  what happened there then, there’s not much to the videos though I was just demonstrating the sound it makes but looking at the video you have on the other thread, the sounds are similar.

Yes I’d say you’re dead right, it’s likely down to the controller. I’ve had a similar sounds off of other locos before so I presumed it was just the way certain locos sound on DC and didn’t see it as much of a problem, and to this day all of my stock runs perfectly. Do any of your other stock, MM or otherwise have similar issues? 

1 hour ago, Anders112 said:

Hi Derek and Oisin,my Irish rail 181 made a similar noise when I first ran it on my DC layout. Got worried like yourself thinking there was something wrong.

On the instructions it says you have to let the gear in the motor to bed in by running it for a hour in each direction without any load . Left it running for two hours and have noticed the noise has faded significantly 🙌🏻

hope this helps

thanks 

Dave 

Ahh ok well that’s it then I’d say! Thanks a million for the help Dave, case closed!! 

23 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

Not a bother Derek, happy to help if I can. Ohh ok that’s weird, I’m not sure  what happened there then, there’s not much to the videos though I was just demonstrating the sound it makes but looking at the video you have on the other thread, the sounds are similar.

Yes I’d say you’re dead right, it’s likely down to the controller. I’ve had a similar sounds off of other locos before so I presumed it was just the way certain locos sound on DC and didn’t see it as much of a problem, and to this day all of my stock runs perfectly. Do any of your other stock, MM or otherwise have similar issues? 

Ahh ok well that’s it then I’d say! Thanks a million for the help Dave, case closed!! 

On 14/4/2024 at 2:18 PM, Anders112 said:

hope this helps

thanks 

Dave 

Hi lads, thanks for taking the time. Like you Dave, after I ran the loco in for an hour in each direction, the noise does seem to have diminished ( or am I just telling myself that). No, seriously it does seem better. And Oisin, I also run another 141 from the original run with no noise problems.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Newtoncork said:

IE 163 arrived this morning, herself was here, so had to own up. She especially liked the dayglow panels and how heavy it is. The distraction tactics worked. Next one is that they worked in pairs..........

You need to sign out now, assuming she doesn't have access to your password - then sign back in hourly and report on your wellbeing...

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, Newtoncork said:

IE 163 arrived this morning, herself was here, so had to own up. She especially liked the dayglow panels and how heavy it is. The distraction tactics worked. Next one is that they worked in pairs..........

Emphasise the "they worked in pairs" angle. Say "they worked in pairs" just like us....

• Funny 6

5 hours ago, Newtoncork said:

And don't  forget the third loco for 'Standby'  purposes... 😉

• WOW! 1
  • Funny 3

Just to add on the three some!! I now have 2 from first batch and 154 from this batch and all lovely models. now need to find time to build suitable layout in my loft - slightly more possible as found some boards in good order - albeit 50 years old! 

This loco will get a spot of filth for fun. 

Robert     

• Like 2

Latest two arrivals to my Drogheda and platin layout… there’s just something about the tippex livery with the dayglo 😍😍

154 came in the post today and just like @Flying Snail 189  was last week adventure of trying to get home from work before the post man landed with it 😂IMG_4883.thumb.jpeg.7947646382d243f1e05a5e4671d8d0ae.jpegIMG_4886.thumb.jpeg.c00db22e2f735a3971a78f6f930d261c.jpeg

IMG_4887.thumb.jpeg.a3f06f4f6978b8e1328e96cb49cd6527.jpeg

Edited by Anders112
  • Like 6

Got my 141 today. I decided to dust off the train set and run it, but a paper mat over carpet is not a good running surface at all, and it was a struggle to record these clips. Don't mind the livery mismatches and the HST cameos - I wanted a black and tan 141 to have a black and tan loco. What if I told you it was actually an MGWR HST?

• Like 4

So I got my delivery of chips on Friday
I also ordered some more 121 ones
Plain chips OK
DCC 
MM567 
MM645
MM567A
MM645A
Any idea why there are 2 versions for each loco, 
Maybe separate one for the 141 & 181 but why 2 for the 121's?
Have a few Peroni Nastro Azzuro's on board so grey cells are not up to scratch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

So I got my delivery of chips on Friday
I also ordered some more 121 ones
Plain chips OK
DCC 
MM567 
MM645
MM567A
MM645A
Any idea why there are 2 versions for each loco, 
Maybe separate one for the 141 & 181 but why 2 for the 121's?
Have a few Peroni Nastro Azzuro's on board so grey cells are not up to scratch

They are for the 2 different engine types. Both the 141's and 121's originally had the 567 while the 181's were fitted with the 645.

Many of the 141's and 121's were later re-engined with 645's taken from the withdrawn C Class locos.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1