New murphy Models 141s

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

3 hours ago, raymurph said:

Just wondering what price do people think secondhand older MM 141s and 181s to go for let's say 6 months after the new batch are released?

It depends perhaps on wither the re-run release are the same models just with different running numbers, or if there is any kind of refresh with new features added such as speakers, stay-a-live, proper lighting configs, etc.

If the former the older models are likely to retain a higher value due rarity, if the latter, second hand prices could go down significantly. Fortunately I never paid more than €118 for a baby GM when I started collecting them seven years ago. The sort of ebay prices in recent few years seemed to defy rational logic. Panic buying at outrageous prices.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Noel said:

It depends perhaps on wither the re-run release are the same models just with different running numbers, or if there is any kind of refresh with new features added such as speakers, stay-a-live, proper lighting configs, etc.

If the former the older models are likely to retain a higher value due rarity, if the latter, second hand prices could go down significantly. Fortunately I never paid more than €118 for a baby GM when I started collecting them seven years ago. The sort of ebay prices in recent few years seemed to defy rational logic. Panic buying at outrageous prices.

The new ones have new features. I know for sure they have Pre-fited speakers!!!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The new ones have new features. I know for sure they have Pre-fited speakers!!!

That's a huge plus.  Many modellers found removing the body to fit a decoder and speaker extremely inconvenient and with a degree difficulty, not to mention lacking the skills to solder two wires to the PCB.

• Like 3

I'm running on DC myself so being able to pick up the older models(which by all accounts are excellently detailed and reliable runners) at non insane prices would be great 😃. The cool features like stay alive capacitors and built in speaker on my A Classes will most likely never be used.

I live in hope.

• Like 2

Rumor has it theres the same body shell, reworked bogies, a speaker and "a few other tweaks here and there."

Assumedyly this means they will have updated the pcb also to seperate the head and marker lights but thats just speculation from me really, for the new bogie i would assume we just get 121 bogies.

the hand rails and wipers on the current 141/181 range also feels very dated to me, so assumedly these will be updated to suit more modern modelling standards although im also kinda hoping any spares will be compatible with the older models and i doubt MM would be able to do both of these things but we never know until they arrive with us.

• Like 3

I've two current-issue ones in black'n'tan which I may sell (I don't need the 6 or 7 I have!). Both are DCC fitted, but whoever owned them before me inexplicably chopped the handrails off!!! I got new ones which would be supplied with them.......... Haven't decided yet if I will sell them, but we'll see..........

I will certainly want a new B147, as that one is a particular favourite of mine from runabaout travels in 1976. I think I had it on the Limerick - Ballina train one day, and somewhere else a day or two later (maybe the Nenagh branch).......

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

i reckon the handrails commonly got broken and then removed entirely among the younger modellers who didnt fully know how to handle models just yet

I have a love hate relationship with them

I did get the impression that the person from whom I bought the pair of them hadn't a clue - no boxes either........

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I did get the impression that the person from whom I bought the pair of them hadn't a clue - no boxes either........

Yes unfortunately many didn't realise it was possible to leave the hand rails on the model while removing the body section to fit decoders and speaker. 

One nice to have refresh item would be see through the body grills on the side like the 121, but that robs a lot of weight and storage space for speaker (which could perhaps be suspended above the gap if small enough).

• Like 1

if they can squeeze it all into the 121 im sure theres enough space within the slightly larger 141 shell. Presumably the chassis will have some level of similarity to those as well.

also would hope for an all new range of running numbers given the way things are in that regard now. would also mean that the older ones are still just as collectable after these come out.

Edited by Sean
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Noel said:

On 4/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Some tweaks to the original tooling plus speaker will be installed
MM packaging I presume, he is not associated with Bachmann any longer afaik

The thing I would most like to see is the addition of a stay alive. I was disappointed that the 121's didn't come with that capability. I'd have happily given up the see-through grills in favour of the stay alive.

Pre fitted speaker would also be nice, even though the older 141 wasn't too badly served in that respect as it had the speaker cradle included.

All in all there was very little to criticize with original Baby GM's. They still hold up very well IMHO.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, irishthump said:

The thing I would most like to see is the addition of a stay alive. I was disappointed that the 121's didn't come with that capability. I'd have happily given up the see-through grills in favour of the stay alive.

Pre fitted speaker would also be nice, even though the older 141 wasn't too badly served in that respect as it had the speaker cradle included.

All in all there was very little to criticize with original Baby GM's. They still hold up very well IMHO.

Agree, still my favourite Irish loco. Staggering slow speed precision performance on the Bachmann chassis. I was delighted how well the MM baby GMs run over Peco code 75 electro frog points at crawl speeds (see below) without a hint of a stall or judder.

Combine with a bass reflex speaker and a decent sound project and these locos excel despite being a 15yo build. The 071 and 201s also excellent but not quite as silky smooth runners. The A's are excellent too.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sean said:

if they can squeeze it all into the 121 im sure theres enough space within the slightly larger 141 shell. Presumably the chassis will have some level of similarity to those as well.

also would hope for an all new range of running numbers given the way things are in that regard now. would also mean that the older ones are still just as collectable after these come out.

What MM managed to fit inside the 121 body was miraculous given the size, especially the see through grills. However in engineering sometimes compromises are required to achieve the primary functional objectives. In the case of the 121 it was the small inaccessible sugar cube speaker that was less than perfect. Easy to fix for customers used to dissecting and reassembling models, but for typical customers perhaps not viable.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I was delighted how well the MM baby GMs run over Peco code 75 electro frog points at crawl speeds (see below) without a hint of a stall or judder.

Combine with a bass reflex speaker and a decent sound project and these locos excel despite being a 15yo build. The 071 and 201s also excellent but not quite as silky smooth runners. The A's are excellent too.

Indeed. I was pottering about the layout yesterday with several steam engines, but also five "A"s and two "B141s". Couldn't agree more about the super-smooth running.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Edo said:

Now that we are in the silly season..........any news ?

Anybody heard anything as regards a vague notional delivery date?

Just trying to get my financial planner in order!

"Shortly" was the last update:

Screenshot_20230609-184414.png

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, enniscorthyman said:

Reminds me of when the original 141/181s came our in 2007/8.They were a game changer and certainly changed the Irish model railway scene.I was on the old Microsoft MSN irish model railway site.The excitement was enormous.

I knew nothing at the time, but I had built a layout for an old boy that I knew and I went to a toy/model fair to get some bits for him. I saw one and bought it on a whim, for myself to have something to run on his layout.

When we first ran it, it was immediately obvious that it was considerably better than anything we had become used to, in every respect.

A fortuitous glance in the right direction, at the right moment, was all that it took.

Up to that point, plausible carriages and wagons weren't too hard a prospect, but a decent loco required rather too much effort for me.

It was an absolute transition in the market.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

How much are they :D  

need to decide how many i cant afford.

Will you ask paddy to ship a few hundred extra wipers and handrails and make them available as some sort of repair pack for the older models? lol a man can dream.

Edited by Sean
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1