eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

5 hours ago, Sails said:

Talking of large locos, have you had a chance to hold (in its box anyway) the class 70? Now that's a beast of a model,

Class 70 looks like it was made by the Thunderbirds out of Duplo :) 

Edited by Noel
iPad iOS 11 keyboard.
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Noel said:

The 201 as a prototype never seemed to be quite as 'nostalgia' popular with the hobby's age demographics.  Often wondered if the longer length of 201 model locos was a visual issue on typical layout curves, or was it just that the very distinctive shape of the other GMs had greater appeal?

Okay so the length of the model is a contributory factor thus affecting modelers with certain radius layout curves. I'm sure that must have really worried Hornby and Bachmann with their class 60 and 66 models. Hattons will be bricking it if they read that quote, now that they are producing a 66.

Rich,

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus man, will you ever relax about colours and logos!

Its a Jouef model and it should be a plain black body

Its not prototypical Its a continental loco painted to look Irish, like all the Jouef HDI models

And the Irish Jouef one should not have a stripe on the side

One for the collector, not the rivet counter

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Railer said:

Modified Dutch Vans with the Mk3 gangways not the standard Dutch Vans.

DCkits seem to have a basic kit. Not sure if it comes with bogies and/or wheels, etc, or is just the basic body shell. The bogies on the dutch GSVs were quite distinctive.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=975&search=dutch

• 1 month later...

Some old LIMA sets on the Bay

Couple of problems with them

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1998-Irish-Train-Cars-Set-Lima-Murphy-Model-L149801-3-Mk-IID-Cars-5201-Ireland/312386274536?hash=item48bbac44e8:g:w9UAAOSwQ5pcGUze

149801 should have 2 Mk 3's and a Mk 2, 7411, Mk 3 standard with a Restaurant prefix,  7115 & 5201 with silver window surrounds

The larger cut outs in the poly insert can clearly be seen.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-Train-Lima-Murphy-Models-L105100X33-300-Made-Loco-Restaurant-Car-Ireland/312386168906?hash=item48bbaaa84a:g:Z00AAOSw87lcGUYU

Loco and Restaurant are correct for the set, although Restaurant is # 7115!,  Mk 2 coach should be 5228 with plain window surrounds, not 5201 as in the pic

Really just for collector info, knock yourself out if you just want them to play with!!!

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, irishthump said:

Cheers, Have two of them but they have TLCs rather than the italian couplings on the earlier variants. The Lima's class 33s were pretty hideous locos, but better than the Jeouf junk of the same period. I feel confident that if I challenged another modeller to a loco speed drag race one of my Lima 215s would win by a large margin, they are insanely fast, and start off at a scale speed over 40mph. As BR class 33s models they were supposed to look like A classes after the dab of orange and black paint. Mine both sound like tractors and that's without a sound chip. Still in 1976 they seemed like the bees knees and the cats knickers cause they were vaguely CIE

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Keitheg6 said:

A lot of baby Gm's up  at the moment , couple of BT 141s got 200 euros 😅

11 minutes ago, Keitheg6 said:

A lot of baby Gm's up  at the moment , couple of BT 141s got 200 euros 😅

Yes strong sale prices, but that’s what these seem to be fetching these days. MM/Bachmann’s most successful Irish model ever. Hope one day Bachmann team up again with MM to do a rerun of these locos. I feel fortunate to have collected a stable of these 141/181s off eBay over the past four years or so at much lower prices. I think the highest price I had to pay was €120, and got some for €80 mark. The orange ones seem to sell at lower prices especially the less popular plug’n’sicket livery. 

Edited by Noel

12 hours ago, Noel said:

Yes strong sale prices, but that’s what these seem to be fetching these days. MM/Bachmann’s most successful Irish model ever. Hope one day Bachmann team up again with MM to do a rerun of these locos. I feel fortunate to have collected a stable of these 141/181s off eBay over the past four years or so at much lower prices. I think the highest price I had to pay was €120, and got some for €80 mark. The orange ones seem to sell at lower prices especially the less popular plug’n’sicket livery. 

I was lucky to spot a BT 141 for 130 buy it now, Needless to say I snapped it up 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irishthump said:

Wow. Couple of years ago I picked up a B&T 141 (165) on Ebay for 40Euro. Granted it was unboxed and missing the detail pack but I still snapped it up...

Yes there are still deals to be had if one can wait and be patient until they come up from time to time. I suspect once IRMs A class and MMs 121 class locos start delivering later this year, we might see a lot of the popular baby GMs hitting eBay at favourable prices as some folk fund their A class and 121 class acquisitions :)

I was lucky to pick up a few body damaged 141s at good prices last year as donors for C class SF kits. Same with damaged BR Class 20s as donors for future bo-bo sulzers.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently there has been a flood of Murphy Model 141/181s on eBay over the past few weeks but all selling for approx €200ea. Is this a market distortion, or are people actually paying this sort of insane money for model locos (ie toys for grown ups)? :confused: Few examples linked below. They can readily be bought at swop meets in places like Bray and Stillorgan for much more sensible prices. They may be the finest models ever produced of an Irish diesel locomotives, but these things don't even come with speakers, nor independently operating head lamps, nor cab driver figure. Not to mention the lack of working windscreen wipers. 😎

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Murphy-Models-Bachmann-Irish-Class-181-CIE-Black-Loco-MM0181-OO-Gauge/143127865264?epid=907307345&hash=item215315e7b0:g:gFEAAOSw0IBcZHra:rk:2:pf:0&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Murphy-Models-Bachmann-Irish-Class-181-CIE-Orange-Black-Loco-MM0182-OO-Gauge/143127848281?hash=item215315a559:g:WfcAAOSwA~5cYfNx:rk:4:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Murphy-Models-Bachmann-Irish-Class-181-IE-Orange-Loco-MM0181-OO-Gauge/143127860772?hash=item215315d624:g:EhsAAOSwt5dcYfXH:rk:5:pf:0

On 6/27/2012 at 2:04 PM, Glenderg said:

I'd say it's a reproduction, and a very, very good one. The give away is the side edges, they are too sharp, whereas the outer edges of the text and lip are rough like you'd expect. Mother nature doesn't discriminate with weathering. Not a sign of the original black paint either, and it's missing two mounting lugs at the back, which wouldn't be in a casting, only an original. I could be wrong, but I smell a long tailed rodent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/6755178451/

It's actually a common repro, and if I may be granted leave to contradict, an extremely poor one! The "weathering" makes them look a bit more genuine, but the font used and the size are utterly unlike that used by the GSWR. This is the case with almost all repros - I have never seen a convincing one of any type of sign.

Thats good, though. It would be a very bad thing if ebay eras were able to pass duds off as genuine.

I agree with comments above about these things dvaljing the price of genuine artefacts, but the other side of the coin is that they're "fun" ornaments for many - you see them in pubs etc....

Seems to me that the most common reproductions are GSWR gate (square) signs about being fined forty shillings, with various real and fictitious railway company initials at the top, long "LNER" gate signs, and larger GSWR trespass ones.  None, thankfully, are likely to be confused with the real thing.

Occasionally I see them on eBay offered as genuine. I tend to contact the seller in case they don't know, and give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they don't change their ad to "repro" I have reported several sellers. I would encourage others to do the same.

• Like 1

Another unload of 141 and 181's from the same seller. While I would be interested in the Black and Tan offered, at that price when DCC sound is factored in, the Global Shipping Programme instead of regular shipping and sterling conversion it's up on €350 for the loco sitting on the layout...

As it's a" nice to have" and not a "must have" I am happy to pass and let others pay the price for them.

Given the sellers location is Belfast, the Global Shipping Programme seems a bit odd given the buyer pays for the item to be shipped from Ireland over to the warehouse in England and then back to Ireland, but I suppose in these days of scams and people of less integrity trying to pull fast ones (I paid but I never got it mister) I suppose use of GSP is to be understood even it if does triple the price for the buyer. 

Edited by CFD
  • Like 1