enniscorthymans workbench

Rate this topic

enniscorthyman

Dave, I can reccomend the brake van as a first kit. It goes together very well. Enniscorthyman has made a fantastic job of the plough van and has glued it together, I soldered my brake van. Both ways work, use whichever you feel happiest with and I am sure Des will offer advice. I put a few comments on the break van feed about how I did a few things. Go for it!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the plough van.

The bit I hate the most-painting is done along with glazing and decals and a small bit of weathering.She is still not finished yet as the roof needs to be fitted and some other bits to be done.The break pipes are not in the correct position from what I can tell, but I like where they are.

Oh I also let the bloody thing fall on the floor today, some damage but nothing a bit of super glue won't fix.

ForumRunner_20150130_190358.png

ForumRunner_20150130_190406.png

ForumRunner_20150130_190413.png

ForumRunner_20150130_190422.png

ForumRunner_20150130_190437.png

ForumRunner_20150130_190347.png

The roof has been glued on and a bit of weathering done.One problem came to light as I had used clear fix to affix the windows which worked fine, however as can be seen in the photo the super glue used to glue the roof on has clouded the windows on me.I made a bags of the antenna on the roof as well.However I am happy enough with the result and would hope to do a better job on the second plough van next.

ForumRunner_20150205_162551.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162600.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162609.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162617.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162628.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162638.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162647.png

ForumRunner_20150205_162702.png

One problem came to light as I had used clear fix to affix the windows which worked fine, however as can be seen in the photo the super glue used to glue the roof on has clouded the windows on me.

Looks plenty well enough to me - just tell people it's weathering.

In the old days, when travelling on a steam train, the windows were usually filthy - it was common practice to walk up the train along the platform, to find a good seat - and, then to wipe a clear patch, so that you could see out, and then hope the seat would still be vacant when you got to it.

I've seen this done on a few model layouts - mostly with more senior operators, it must be said....

She look's sweet Eamonn. The fumes from the super glue tend to cause the clouding on the glazing. A little tip I picked along the way was to dip the glazing in Johnson's Klear prior to gluing with Cyano. When the glazing is in place and the Cyano has cured, wipe the glazing again with clear and the cloudiness should disappear.

Rich,

I mentioned it before on my thread but Eamonn use odourless super glue, I wont cloud the plastic glazing. Safe as house. If there is one in Marks Models do you want me to pick it up and post it to you

http://cpc.farnell.com/deluxe/ad46/superglue-roket-odourless-20g/dp/SA03140

It looks the business at the back of the Rake Eamonn, Fab Work, Got two from Des at the weekend myself so hope to do them some justice as you have! I hate painting yellow!

Edited by Georgeconna

I mentioned it before on my thread but Eamonn use odourless super glue, I wont cloud the plastic glazing. Safe as house. If there is one in Marks Models do you want me to pick it up and post it to you

http://cpc.farnell.com/deluxe/ad46/superglue-roket-odourless-20g/dp/SA03140

It looks the business at the back of the Rake Eamonn, Fab Work, Got two from Des at the weekend myself so hope to do them some justice as you have! I hate painting yellow!

George would PVA glue have the same problem with odour causing the clouding.I can't wait to see your work

on the plough vans.