What happened to 224

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Did a similar fate not befall CIE (B201) 224 , following its transfer to NIR in 1985/86 was found to have a bent frame and was replaced by 218 , its was laying out of use for many years before being scrapped . 

It happened 143 too. It ended up being confined to 40mph max and only shunted in Northwall Yard or Inchicore. It was painted on the cab sides similar to the air brake note painted on the 121s.

3 hours ago, Railer said:

Yeah, looks to be a hit and run. Maybe the loss of 224 will see it harvested enabling the return of 230 to the fleet.

Wouldn't say it's a hit and run - both ends look undamaged. You'd expect buffers to fail and some crumpling there before the main frame would give way.

• Like 1

So there was an accident or someone noticed it just had a wrap frame one day? 

And 224 did have a bent frame presumably due to fatigue but iirc wasn't 143 the result of an accident and thereafter it was speed restricted. Shows that there was a need for 141s at that time but not much traffic for so many 201s now  

On 7/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, Barl said:

Did somebody apply too much pressure plugging in a DCC sound decoder into the decode roof slot? 😂

Edited by Warbonnet
Off topic content removed
  • Funny 4

the Isle of Man used to have a load of carrigaes which had that fault and they keep on using them. That said it is a concern that a relative new loco has deveolped such a problem bring back the Heitage collection of ex CIE diesle locos.

Could be that Inchicore are in for a lot of rebuilding with new chassis's or a building a new jig to put each one right as they go through a full service, out of interest how many do they need to run the current service and just how many do they have in total?

Colin R

On 7/22/2020 at 12:36 AM, Ironroad said:

But is it an inherent problem, or is it due to impact that wasn't reported? Seems very strange. 

Apparently it was a metal fatigue defect that was known about from previous exams but the problem accelerated far quicker than expected to the point of failure. I don't know how true that is but it's one of the stories going around. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So, is this the end of 224?

If so, will 224 be used for parts to revive one of the hulks sitting outside Inchicore?

Will we then see an "071 grey" liveried 201 in service?

Most definitely the end for 224. No doubt useable components will be salvaged and could possibly be used in other locos - either replacing parts on locos still in service where required, or possibly to aid in the rebuilding of 230.

I wouldn't expect to see grey 201s. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garfield said:

Most definitely the end for 224. No doubt useable components will be salvaged and could possibly be used in other locos - either replacing parts on locos still in service where required, or possibly to aid in the rebuilding of 230.

Hey, I thought that you were a ghost?

How about an orange and black 230 with CIE roundels?

1 hour ago, Garfield said:

Be nice to see the parts put into 201 and get her reinstated as a heritage livery

Edited by mphoey
missed letters

6 hours ago, Railer said:

Apparently it was a metal fatigue defect that was known about from previous exams but the problem accelerated far quicker than expected to the point of failure. I don't know how true that is but it's one of the stories going around. 

If that is true is seems to me the whole class is doomed. Not a great recommendation of a GM product and certainly not to be expected in a locomotive that is a mere 25 years old.

32 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

If that is true is seems to me the whole class is doomed. Not a great recommendation of a GM product and certainly not to be expected in a locomotive that is a mere 25 years old.

hopefully just her affected as none of the rest seem to be showing signs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

According to the railway safety inspectors report the crack was caused by poor weld repairs during maintenance in either 2010 or 2019, IE has now introduced weld repair books to record the location and detail of every new weld as well as adopting the international recognised standard for weld repairs 

• Like 1
  • Informative 3