What happened to 224

Rate this topic

21 hours ago, Rob said:

It did have a note stuck to it that 'No Parts were to be removed from this loco by order'.....

I saw that sign, but there was no date on it, probably part of the RAIU investigation, also then to stop it being cannibalised after

Heres a photo from Saturday

image.thumb.png.3628fd19249096696d70f7abdc0d0716.png

You can see where the original split was, but as said by @Warbonnetabove it really is a testament to what IE can still do at Inchicore when needed

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

21 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

They'll probably paint her grey, stick on some pantographs and stick in a big fat electric motor. The first carbon-nuetral 201 or whatever.

Well, it won't be converted to a turf-burner, anyway...

• Funny 2

Apprenticeships are the life blood of all engineering sites, that said try getting some of the kids today to think in terms of a worthwhile living and they would prefer to be playing donkey Kong or some other such computer game.

No disrespect intended but just how many of us are under 30 on here? For what it is worth I am 63 (64 in September this year)

Colin    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Apprenticeships are the life blood of all engineering sites, that said try getting some of the kids today to think in terms of a worthwhile living and they would prefer to be playing donkey Kong or some other such computer game.

No disrespect intended but just how many of us are under 30 on here? For what it is worth I am 63 (64 in September this year)

Colin    

I’m 19 on Saturday, I’ll count myself in that under 30 bracket….

And I applied for most of the stuff IE have advertised. Cad drawing, Technical drawing and engineering all done for the leaving cert in a couple of weeks…..still haven’t a notion what I’ll actually end up doing though 

ps: Donkey kong is about 40 years out of date, very amusing 🤣

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

Colin    

I'd actually say the irish group is by in large much younger on average compared to the likes of the british modeller community. At least a dozen here in their 20s from what I can gauge, myself included.

Actually planning to do a metal fabrication course sometime after uni too..

Donkey Kong came out in 1981 lad

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

I'd actually say the irish group is by in large much younger on average compared to the likes of the british modeller community. At least a dozen here in their 20s from what I can gauge, myself included.

Actually planning to do a metal fabrication course sometime after uni too..

Donkey Kong came out in 1981 lad

Donkey Kong is pre-historic.

Highly likely that the Irish modellers have a slightly younger demographic than British modellers...

Or to flip it on it's head, it's likely that the more mature modellers ended up modelling British outline due to a lack of choice / skills / time, whereas the slightly younger modellers have a different world facing them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sean said:

two of my uncles are into model trains and have decent sized loft layouts full of hornby, doubtful that either of them have even heard of MM or IRM........

My own older next door neighbor has a marklin empire in his attic. Had no clue you could get Irish stock. 

4 hours ago, BosKonay said:

My own older next door neighbor has a marklin empire in his attic. Had no clue you could get Irish stock. 

My best friends neighbour is similar, has a substantial and very nice mainly Fleischmann layout in his attic.. Was very proud of his live steam, which he said was far ahead of anything Hornby were making when he bought it in the early 2000s.. 

Was quite impressed when I showed him my IRM bubbles though, again wasn't aware how far Irish modelling had come and is unlikely to make the change at this stage..

12 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Or to flip it on it's head, it's likely that the more mature modellers ended up modelling British outline due to a lack of choice / skills / time, whereas the slightly younger modellers have a different world facing them.

Seems to have been much the same as when I first joined a model railway club in the 1970s.

The club demographics basically broke down into a group of Creative Modellers some of whom modelled Irish railways to be different, a larger group who mainly collected British, Continental or American ready to run and the Elder Statesmens' some of whom were highly accomplished modellers who mainly modelled the Big Four.

The people who modelled/collected Continental or American models did so mainly because of superior running, higher quality (and potential re-sale value) compared to British Outline

As a Junior Member I attempted to model Irish railways with the encouragement and support of the creative modellers and the Elder Statesmen

A lot of Irish people who ended up modelling/collecting British/Continental and American because they simply did not find Irish railways as appealing or exciting as overseas railways.

I remember one of our members (a GNR enthusiast) writing of his experiences growing up in Kilkenny during the 1950s finding the steam hauled CIE passenger trains that served his city dull and boring, though Waterford's varied roster of GSWR 4-4-0s and the writings of Jack O'Neill paints a completely different picture, it all depends on perspective.

Personally the most encouraging thing is the enthusiasm of the younger members of this Forum who are actively developing and improving their modelling skills and the support shown by the more experienced modellers. 

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

@Mayner, I wholly agree with the above. I got back into railway modelling in the late 1990s and it was quite difficult to know where to go in terms of what to model. There was nothing Irish, the British stuff fell short in many areas so I went continental European (DB AG). When Murphy Models launched the 141/181 a bought some but I just couldn't connect with them so I stuck with purchasing continental European stock. When IRM produced the A class I was quite reluctant to buy any as I had a lot of Fleischmann stock, however, I couldn't resist. The A class was the locomotive of my childhood so once I got my hands on one of those beauties I couldn't let go. That will be the same for the Murphy Models 201s - there will be lots of people here who are familiar with them and once they're back on the shelves it will draw a few more people into the hobby.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for letting me know about the approximate age in this group, this is not only a very good thing for Irish modelling but for engineering as a whole.

As Mayner said above that was the typical set up of a model railway group in the 1970's. My own intro to model railways was via a local model railway exhibition, this lead from one thing to another. I did start with the Hornby Triang stuff of that period, but found it did not excite me enough, it was at this point that things took off, I first meet a life long friend Dave Brewer, a narrow gauge nut if every there was one, while he was exhibiting his layout of Linton (Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in North Devon). Big locos on a narrow gauge (2ft) railway WOW now that's the thing I was looking for, or so I though.

Enter my local library and lol and behold what did I find in the railway section? yep you guested it, Patterson's book on the Lough Swilly Railway BOOM! I was hooked on yet bigger locomotives on narrow gauge railways and a great colour print at the front of one of the 4-8-4 Tank locos.

As I was young about my mid teens and before girlfriends/cars/work etc all got in the way, I thought this must be heaven, a couple of early 009 layouts and an attempt at 7mm 16.5mm gauge modelling happen around that time.

After that and for a long period I got into Steam Railway Heritage and the formation of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in North Devon was a big pull at the time, I only got back into modelling as such after reading an article or two by the late David Lloyd his layout was called Coolcalaghta (I will leave that one up to you guys to pronounce as I don't have a clue) in the mid to late 1990's.

It was an 00n3 (12mm gauge) 4mm scale layout, indirectly it was this layout that saw a number of 00n3 brass etched kits hit the market around that time, today there are still a lot of kits about if you know where to look and how to ask for them.

Sadly for me I think I must have a butterfly brain, as I happen to not only like the Irish narrow gauge, but this has developed a liking for many 3ft to meter and 3ft 6in gauge railways around the world.

Finally if I can pass one bit of modelling advice on to anyone, it would be don't give up and prepare to try again, it is not a sprint but more like a marathon, I do know my short comings in modelling and it is only now 40+years later do I think it is ok, there will always be someone better than you at this don't take it personally if you think they have just made a great model and you don't think you could do just as well, don't forget to get to that stage takes a long time and a modelling apprenticeship as well.

There back to where I think I started.

Happy Modelling to you all.

Colin     

• Like 5

I start collection of marklin collection form 2003, I hear about MM Lima irish models 201 plus coaches but no high details models (it look like railroad models).

I also collection of too many boxed of old train set from 1950s Dublo to 1990s hornby in the loft. 

I was luck got unboxed 1976 hornby irish hymek with two mk2 coaches at cheaper price from local antique fairs.

Edited by steventrain
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Two months later, and yet nothing else about 224 has been heard of...

If they actually are repairing her, I'm starting to wonder if it's going to take ages like it did with 225...Got damaged in 2010 and was ready to run (no pun intended!) in 2019.

Edited by 228RiverOwenboy
Gramatical mistake

264630107_PhotoEditor_PixlrE-freeimageeditingtool-GoogleChrome16_11_202119_24_25.png.1da2b52f7076808dac5ca5e08a39782b.png

It is perfectly obvious what caused this damage. The damage occured bang smack in the area where you hold the loco when putting it on the track. Someone was putting this on the track and slipped putting all of the weight on the hand holding the loco and pushing it downwards. Seems there was a bulletin issued in Inchicore telling staff to be more careful.

• Funny 2

On 13/7/2022 at 1:08 PM, 228RiverOwenboy said:

Two months later, and yet nothing else about 224 has been heard of...

If they actually are repairing her, I'm starting to wonder if it's going to take ages like it did with 225...Got damaged in 2010 and was ready to run (no pun intended!) in 2019.

At that rate it will take the same length of time that it does for me to build just one 00n3 steam loco kit.