Irish Railway Models Launch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Very well done, gents. I feel that despite a lot of rant, argument and discussion on the crowd-funding and prepay for a model threads, something very positive has come to fruition in less than a year. I like the model and will purchase some, most likely a a double digit rake (I don't supposed there are plan for a pack of 10?)

May I ask what safeguards will be implemented in terms of delivery of a high quality product? There is not any question that this would not be well designed. I assume some lessons will have been learned from other suppliers mishaps with overseas manufacturers delivering a substandard product.

Many many thanks for undertaking this venture!!

K

Edited by DiveController

Just had a chance to properly read through this thread now. Thanks to everyone for the positive messages! :)

May I ask what safeguards will be implemented in terms of delivery of a high quality product? There is not question that this will be well designed. I assume some lessons will have been learned from other suppliers mishaps with overseas manufacturers delivering a substandard product.

Many many thanks for undertaking this venture!!

K

To put it simply, the main safeguard we have is Dave Jones from DJ Models; he has a longstanding relationship with the Chinese factory we will be using and he knows the people on the ground there, which is a huge bonus for us.

We sat down with Dave back in August for a comprehensive discussion about the project and among the topics covered was contingency plans for 'disaster' scenarios. This included everything from substandard finishing to securing the moulds in the highly unlikely event the factory shuts down.

On the point of substandard finishing, Dave will provide an extra stage of quality control between the factory and ourselves, so if something like that happens it will be returned to the factory for re-working without ever landing on our doorstep. :)

Thanks for that elaboration, Patrick. This should help reassure buyers placing orders on the website rather than physically purchasing in one's local model shop.

Do you anticipate being able to do a second run or a smaller run if required so that (in time) a selection of rtr stock would be somewhat 'available' to purchase to extend a rake/ for new modellers etc. or each is destined to become a collectible once the run is finished?

Wish you all the best of luck with this, I really hope that this can gain some traction quickly.

Hi DC,

The plan is to do (market willing) multiple runs of the Ballast, and we're at early CAD stages on the Cement Bubble.

The goal is, on a 'neither for profit nor loss' basis, to create a viable means for the community to produce stock to a very high standard.

I'd also echo my colleagues thanks for the encouragement, after the months of planning, it means a lot to me and the team!

Jaysus lads - I go away for a while and come back to find this - Irish Railway Models Launch....must go away more often!! Absolutely great news, I wish you lads every success and to let you know I will be supporting this venture. Looking forward to the day when you have a wide range of rolling stock and the possibility of a loco or two! Again, the very best of luck with the launch and fair play to all concerned for making Irish modelling better and giving it a brighter future.=D

Looking forward to the day when you have a wide range of rolling stock and the possibility of a loco or two!

That'll be the dream Seamus, once we sell the wagons we can look at 'bigger' projects, but it's a lot of 'if's and but's' at the moment. We'll see where we end up once we sell the wagons!

If anyone needs any further reassurances regarding the quality aspect, have a look at DJ's preproduction BR Class 71 here http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/377-djm71ep

We're aiming for this to be the best it can possibly be as at the end of the day we want the wagons to stick behind our locos. If they're not up to our high standards when it comes to fit, finish and decoration (and I know I can be very picky myself, so can the others!) then we wont be accepting them and will send them back until they're right.

Hi guys, just a quick question, can a deposit be paid at the show.

Not that I don't want herself to know or see the bank statements

Nothing like that at all, you know yourself!

Absolutely, Stand 22, will be taking deposits / payments / orders on the Sat and Sun!

I placed an order for 4 packs, with the staggered payment option. I reckon a rake of 12 would look the part behind a 141, along with a plough van or two

This is a rake of 10 from April 2014, topped and tailed with ballast ploughs. They are my own scratchbuilt ones NOT SAMPLES OR PROTOTYPES, to the same dimensions and size as the ones being produced. The cutting mat is 3 foot long, to give an idea of scale.

DSCF8519.jpg

So there's me attempting to put together a Kingscourt branchline representation in the attic, and there's you lot sorting me out with a load of RTR gypsum wagons.

I built 2 from scratch myself already, added to the 6 I have just ordered on the drip will help me make up a nice rake. I know they are Ballast livery/marked , but were there any real differences between the gypsum wagon and the ballast wagon?

Fair play to you lads - looks like a winner!

That's what I'm talking about Glenderg! Very nice

Now all I've got to do is build the layout to run em on! That said, it'd be stupid of me to not buy stock while it is available, just because I've no layout yet. I have a mostly converted attic to use for housing a layout - just to come up with a plan for one & make a start

Edited by skinner75

... Now all I've got to do is build the layout to run em on! That said, it'd be stupid of me to not buy stock while it is available, just because I've no layout yet. ...

I would not worry about that. :) I collected rolling stock for about 20 years before I got around to building our layout.

Congratulations Pat, Fran, Richie, and Stephen. This is superb news and the enthusiasm shown in all your posts shows you are looking forward to it as much as us. Dave Jones knows his stuff and is the right man to have on board. The wagon chosen is a great choice and an actual railway lovers favorite. There is lot's of detail beneath the hoppers. The bubble has me even more delighted. For the specs given the price is very reasonable.

This is going to have a really positive affect on the hobby. I love the hobby and now it is going to get better.

All the best luck in the world lad's,

Rich,

By the way guys, before I ordered I had a little think and did some sums. My scratchbuilt hoppers (which are amateur look-the-part jobs) cost about £15 sterling just for the chassis, plasticard parts from evergreen, paint.dunno how much my time is worth! No decals yet either ... Sooooo ... Your Hoppers are very good value for a set of three high detail models. i cant wait to get them !!!

Fair play to Pat, Stephen, Fran and Richie for their initiative and being prepared to take the risk with commissioning a rtr wagon. The ballast hopper is an excellent choice and hopefully generate the critical mass in terms of sales to finance the development of the cement bubble.

A bit modern for my taste but very difficult to resist.