Port Bréige

Rate this topic

KMCE

10 hours ago, KMCE said:

I decided the front building would be good as a malt house with the drifter delivering a load of bagged grain for malting. Helps to tie the scene together.

905044173_Revised-Oct22-5.thumb.jpg.344363aa07f363936b0fdfe8d2310320.jpg

Anyway, all for now.

Ken.

Extraordinary scenes Ken, Delightful atmosphere and realism.  I can hear noises coming from the malting house and quay side activity, flange sequel as locos shunt the quay. Sorry to hear of your health woes, may the modelling be a positive distraction and bring some joy. Wishing you well, comfort and total success in treatment. Take care. Thanks for posting those beautiful scenes.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic news, Ken - keep at it!

Some lovely little bits of progress on the Port, its the details that make the layout come to life and its certainly doing that. I do like Dart Castings products - their conical milk churns for instance are, imho, the best available (no association with them except as a satisfied customer). I don't think I've said before that I think the Maltings are superb, although all your buildings are excellent.

Nice convertible, by the way ;) 

Stay safe, keep strong, and keep getting yourself better :)

All the best,
Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear you're doing well Ken. The backdrop on Port Breige is nice and subtle isn't it? Did you fade it to give that hazy appearance? There is something jarring to me when the photo backdrop is too clear. In the real world things get hazy in the distance. This one really works well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KMCE said:

First of all, many thanks for the heartfelt good wishes, they are much appreciated.  My treatment is going well and in time I should be back fighting fit.

In the meantime, I have been doing a bit of detailing on the port layout and some additional figures arrived from Dart Castings which helps to populate out the layout somewhat.

1300462243_RevisedNov22-7.thumb.jpg.4ad0cba07991b76a375800b48a6a716f.jpg

The drifter needed quite a bit of work with wheelhouse painted to brighten up the look, the lifeboat finally covered, hatch opened and stocked, some mooring lines, etc.

1365100585_RevisedNov22-5.thumb.jpg.b9d771fc865486acd71f986228581ab0.jpg

The Galway hooker got some weathering and stocked with some goods for market from the islands.

1536450346_RevisedNov22-6.thumb.jpg.1279c6455ca1e0737947f8872893bddd.jpg

Some additional figures help to add to the business of the port.  That poor guy on the hoist finally got some assistance!

1172358892_RevisedNov22-4.thumb.jpg.cf84523a20acd9f7b39d613e56df0207.jpg

Unloading grain from ship in the day was a manual and laborious process, but it's got to get done, and the gaffer is keeping a good eye on progress.

1024001422_RevisedNov22-3.thumb.jpg.6693e8fb4bff88c16343ad7c135cade7.jpg

1482942581_RevisedNov22-1.thumb.jpg.5c5d9a20b7fea846fd1c0c324ed53c5b.jpg

Back to the milk run from the island - the man from the creamery cannot be overly pleased with having to lug those churns up the steps to his cart.  "And now he wants me to take the empty beer barrels to the pub for refilling!"

1073727151_RevisedNov22-2.thumb.jpg.c55cd243e99db93cb36506db9feb69a8.jpg

Anyway, all for now, more when time and energy allows.

Ken

Well done Ken, in both your treatment and the latest developments at the port!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

The backdrop on Port Breige is nice and subtle isn't it? Did you fade it to give that hazy appearance?

Phil,  the standard backdrop supplied as part of the scalescenes kit was already faded so it does give a nice effect.  What I did was to mirror the image, print both and find a line where they could be spliced together with out being too obvious - although, I could do with smoothing out that seam somewhat!!

I have to agree with the sentiments though, the muted image is more in keeping with reality as colours and detail fade with distance. 

Ken

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...