IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic achievement, all the A class now gone on the IRM website. For such a niche market as Irish Railways is, this is some feat, the boys took a chance on this, we took a chance on the boys pulling it off  knowing they would , Win Win for us all. Onwords and upwards as they say, thanks lads for all of this.

All this came about because I just figured out how the sound works on my A class, it's something else 😁😁😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

After a period out of of stock, our EMD A Class sound decoder is back in stock! 

Grab one here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/a-class-emd-sound-decoder

And before you ask; no. No news on the Crossley as yet.

Cheers!

Fran 

You could use the BR class 28 as it had the same crossley engine, look at roads and Rails 

• 1 month later...

I've probably not run my A's long enough to see the failure George. I am interested to hear what it turns out to be though. Hopefully just a dry joint somewhere in the chain. Have you tried a different decoder first? The ESU stay alives are a three wire job I think so in theory the decoder could be gone bad as well. It's not a simple capacitor connected across the potential of the rails AFAIK. There's a bit more too it because big fat capacitors work as stay alives but they also swallow the ack pulses from the motor when programming so they have to be switched out of the circuit then. The three wire ones use some charging and discharging circuitry on the decoder and therefore don't need to be isolated during programming like simple caps do.

That's OK then might have a chance to move to a new location subject to things happening the way we want them to, which means I will have the time to save up to buy some of the next batch. will need more green and silver livery versions I think.

In that case does anyone have the knowledge of when each loco went from as delivered Silver to Green and then to Black and Tan V1? I would be looking at nothing later than say 1966 thanks in advance.

Colin 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colin R said:

That's OK then might have a chance to move to a new location subject to things happening the way we want them to, which means I will have the time to save up to buy some of the next batch. will need more green and silver livery versions I think.

In that case does anyone have the knowledge of when each loco went from as delivered Silver to Green and then to Black and Tan V1? I would be looking at nothing later than say 1966 thanks in advance.

Colin 

I think you might be ok for  any silver green or black except maybe black with yellow panel

• Like 1

On 23/1/2023 at 7:05 AM, murphaph said:

I will be in for more IR ones and green and silver ones whenever they do come out. A46 was as far as we know a unique livery, is that still the received wisdom? If so we should obviously not expect that livery to appear again unless it's A46 again. 

For weathering to within an inch of their lives?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Have to say that the A class looks great in all of the liveries, however, I'm a big fan of the silvers as it highlights all of the great details and love the way it gleams when the sun shines - just like today. Would love to see someone do a really good weathering job on one of the silver liveried A classes.

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

On 23/1/2023 at 7:05 AM, murphaph said:

A46 was as far as we know a unique livery, is that still the received wisdom?

Yes, it and C231 (now preserved) appear to be the only ones to get this one-off variation. The rest were all in the lighter green, like carriages and railcars after 1955.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1