IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Can't think why anyone bought them in the first place, were Irish modellers that desperate, REALLY?

Yes, and to an extent still yes 

there valuable in the sense they can product RTR stock for those who cannot covert or build for themselves (or do not have the confidence to build) I for one started with silverfox. And I still might buy one or two things off them 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just ignorant but B233 and B234 apparently ran in multiple with baby GMs. These are the Maybach engined A's. Could be interesting for anyone modelling that era. A kind soul posted a pic of this up on Facebook. I'd never heard of it before. Looks very cool to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just ignorant but B233 and B234 apparently ran in multiple with baby GMs. These are the Maybach engined A's. Could be interesting for anyone modelling that era. A kind soul posted a pic of this up on Facebook. I'd never heard of it before. Looks very cool to me.

B233 and B234 were Maybach-engined C Class locos, not A Class. :) 

Very interesting locos and the only Metro-Vicks to ever work in multiple while in service (C231 has since worked in multiple with 146 in preservation at Downpatrick).

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

See, I told you I was ignorant 😁

When did the C's get those Maybach engines? Presumably post-end of scheduled steam on CIE?

I remember they got em after the 141s arived. They asked GM could they get engines but GM only we’re willing to make whole locos. GM eventually did provide engines for the class but while before that, CIE tried maybach engines 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

C233 & C234 were re-engined in 1965/65 with MD650 Maybach engines.

Some slight visual differences in the Maybach engined locos and the C and later B GM versions .

No GM headlight 

One of the side port hole windows covered in as illustrated in this picture from Ernies Railway Archive 

Limerick B233 1970 img658

Lots of variations in the C , B201 locos for any manufacturer considering doing it hint hint....................

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 11/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, connollystn said:

Can't think why anyone bought them in the first place, were Irish modellers that desperate, REALLY?

Remember many of us were glad to have the Silver Fox model in order to build and enjoy a layout which represented CIE from the fifties to the nineties before the IRM model came along. All of us accept some compromise in order to achieve our goals of building a realistic layout and I for one was very happy to have the Silver Fox models, four of them, which despite their shortcomings were important for the big picture of the South Waterford Line. Admittedly they were mostly run on through trains where they received less scrutiny!   I have said it before that the availability of an A class was a deciding factor for me to switch to Irish modelling over ten years ago. Have we forgotten how few Irish models were available before IRM came along?

Edited by patrick
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Angry 1

52 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Enough about the Silver Fox's, it's the silver As is where it's at. Hopefully there'll be some suitable stock produced shortly to run with these beauts.

Are you on some sort of commission or bonus scheme from IRM? 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Please point out where one could have a rtr A class pre IRM for those of us who aren't workbench wizards?

You'd hardly call the SF A a work of wizardry! Anyway, that's all history now, we should be looking forward to I.R.M. announcing fantastic new models. I have my credit card on standby.

13 hours ago, JasonB said:

Are you on some sort of commission or bonus scheme from IRM? 

Wish I was. It was Euvirail's review of the A1 which prompted me to purchase the A30 (A1 was sold out by then) and there are a few other versions of the I.R.M. A class I wished I'd purchased also. I'm not chained to any particular era or strict prototypical consists - I'd be comfortable oprating a silver A with a set of Mark IIIs. While I type this response the A30 is gleaming in the sunshine which is highlighting the exquisite details - it's a joy to behold. 

On 25/4/2022 at 8:50 AM, connollystn said:

You'll find, no matter which livery, that this issue isn't unique to modellers of Irish railway prototypes.

Anyway on code 75 track that's well ballasted we get away with the narrow gauge look of 00 track. (ie 16.5mm instead of 21mm).

The best decision I made was in addition to my IR variants to secure a specimen of each of the silver and green A's to work a steam-diesel transition era layout I will someday build. I'd be raging if I'd let them slip through my fingers. I have the bookends so to speak, the earliest 4 and latest 6 A's.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

Dangerous posting evidence like that, ladies do look at the internet.

He should be safe enough, there's no cats in the picture.

I've been told that a few boxes might have fallen off on the long train journey, but you would have to pay in Roubles.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1