IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

4 hours ago, Garfield said:

All were widespread... silver lasted from introduction until the early 1960s when the green livery was rolled out. Then from the mid-1960s, CIE decided to introduce Black & Tan (as on A15), but after a few locos had received this livery they changed their mind and finished off the rest of the fleet in the all-over black colour scheme. Black & Tan then made a comeback on the rebuilt locos...

So both the silver A30 and the green A42 would pair well with John's grey pre-1963 RTR brakevan 23543?

All-black A55 and green A42 would be correct alongside both of John's post-1963 RTR brakevans, brown 23544 and grey 23580? A55 and A42 would also look correct beside the single-stripe MM Cravens coaches? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So both the silver A30 and the green A42 would pair well with John's grey pre-1963 RTR brakevan 23543?

All-black A55 and green A42 would be correct alongside both of John's post-1963 RTR brakevans, brown 23544 and grey 23580? A55 and A42 would also look correct beside the single-stripe MM Cravens coaches? 

A42, A30 and A55 work on pre 1963 van. A55 and A42 for post 1963 grey. I don’t think either livery saw the red/brown livery vans. I could be corrected on that 

I think the last of the green was gonr by 1967, and cravens introduced in 1963(?). I’m not sure when the last green A class was repainted though. Something that @jhb171achill might be able to elaborate on 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

A42, A30 and A55 work on pre 1963 van. A55 and A42 for post 1963 grey. I don’t think either livery saw the red/brown livery vans. I could be corrected on that 

I think the last of the green was gonr by 1967, and cravens introduced in 1963(?). I’m not sure when the last green A class was repainted though. Something that @jhb171achill might be able to elaborate on 

When did the John's brown post-1963 brakevan start service?

11 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

They were painted that way around 1970 (I think!?) anything green was gone

I had a feeling they were more suited to the sewenties alright, but the "post-1963" description of the logo had me curious.

Both green A42 and black A55 would have hauled Cement Bubbles? With JMD's grey post-1963 brakevan?

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

When did the John's brown post-1963 brakevan start service?

Last silver anything (locos or coaches) mid 60s.

Last green 1967.

Almost certainly no green loco ever hauled bubbles*, and very definitely no silver one did.

No brown wagons till 1970, so nothing brown behind a silver or green anything….

(* and if it did, for maybe one day!)

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Barl said:

It looks like there's a small few of the A Class locos back in stock on the IRM site if anyone's interested.

Thanks. Wow only 105 locos left out of the entire production run is an incredible sales success. Thanks for the heads up Barl, managed to order one of the liveries I’d omitted to order two years ago.

this restocking event has me filled with indecisiveness, everythings gonna be gone by the time my mind is made up!

a few things that i had relinquished as "its gone never to be bought again" are now all in my face at once  the the wallet is currently holding moths......

Edited by Sean

yep sat here and watched them all sell out....... decided on ballast ploughs though, since not having them was putting me off starting a rake. was either that or cement bubbles and i dont really want to add a cement plant to my layout. the lights will be fun to play with :)

• Like 2

First time I've bought directly from IRM and the 048 x2 which I purchased yesterday afternoon [02032022] arrived at my apartment first thing this morning - much quicker than the original would have. Consider myself really lucky to have gotten them as it took me ages to process the payment (credit card had expired). Life would not have been worth living if I had missed out on these.

The one good thing about using PayPal is that it allowed me to register my new credit card during the transaction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bought the A55 x2 from Mark's earlier. Was sitting on the fence for ages regarding the Crossley As (the fence wasn't very comfortable) so had to get off and went on a bit of a shopping spree. I feel that the Crossley engined As have a bit more character so decided on getting a few A30s also. The reality is IRM have done such a fantastic job on these locomotives that they look good in all their' guises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just two sleeps 'til my silvers arrive. I'm quite surprised at how fond I am of the A55, the Crossley engined versions just have that bit more character. @murphaph - I hope to have bought all the models I need by the time the reruns of the A appear. I expect that there'll be lots of other great IRM locomotives by then. The one thing I desire most is suitable passenger carriages. My As are hauling Fleischmann stock.

• Like 1

Got my A30s in the post this morning. The silver livery really highlights all of the details, seeing stuff that I didn't notice with the darker liveries. Everyone should have one of these, if only for display purposes, at least. Delighted that I didn't miss out on these - can't stop looking at them. Looking forward to the next motorised model from IRM.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My Thanks to the poster on FB group, and Fran who tipped us off that some more A class locos had come into stock.

Managed to get A12 which I'd accidentally omitted from my original order two years ago. She's a beaut fits right into my CIE era. Happy Days. Look forward in the fullness of time to running her with IRM's Crossley DCC sound decoder. Here she is before being rebuilt with GM power. Hauling morning branch working from Limerick to Claremorris about to depart for Athenry. Back in 2014 when Fran first told me about possible plans for an A class I could not have envisaged such a superb precision model coming to fruition. Well done team IRM. One happy customer here. I remember these locos in Waterford in the 1960s.

IMG_5536.JPG

Edited by Noel
Lexdysia
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, connollystn said:

@Noel - I completely disagree with your sentiment. There would be a decent market for newly tooled models of the 141 & 181 locomotives because of the way they operated people will buy multiples of the units. The bar has been raised to such huge heights that there's no going back. Anyway, my priority is waiting for IRM to produce passenger stock to go with the A class.

Fair comment. Only time will tell. Agree 100% on desire for IRM to produce passenger stock to go with the A class. What pax stock would you like to see?

I have two of these fine locomotives [A55], they're my favourite. Regretting now that I didn't buy the Crossley engine versions of these beauts earlier. If there are any of you sitting on the fence regarding them  I'd seriously advise you to get off it now and purchase these.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1