IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

I found that the tension lock couplings on the "A" class are slightly lower than on the ballast wagons and it is also a different size. If I shunt the Ballast wagons with an "A" class the loco coupling goes below the leading ballast wagon and derails it. Funnily enough the MM 121 class coupling is bang in line with the ballast wagon coupling and it will shunt the wagons without derailments. I would have thought that any manufacturer would standardise on couplings for all rolling stock. I did contact IRM regarding this but they said no one else has reported this issue. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, spudfan said:

I found that the tension lock couplings on the "A" class are slightly lower than on the ballast wagons and it is also a different size. If I shunt the Ballast wagons with an "A" class the loco coupling goes below the leading ballast wagon and derails it. Funnily enough the MM 121 class coupling is bang in line with the ballast wagon coupling and it will shunt the wagons without derailments. I would have thought that any manufacturer would standardise on couplings for all rolling stock. I did contact IRM regarding this but they said no one else has reported this issue. 

Personally I find tension lock coupling especially the more modern small ones very poor for shunting and running performance, especially in reverse. Kadee couplings are much more reliable for operations including reliable reversing, automatic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling. They also look less obtrusive and the great beauty is one can vertically pick up any item of rolling stock from a formation and remove it without the usually tangles mess associated with TLCs.

PS: Kadee's also generally facilitate closer coupling with less gaps between rolling stock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Personally I find tension lock coupling especially the more modern small ones very poor for shunting and running performance, especially in reverse. Kadee couplings are much more reliable for operations including reliable reversing, automatic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling. They also look less obtrusive and the great beauty is one can vertically pick up any item of rolling stock from a formation and remove it without the usually tangles mess associated with TLCs.

PS: Kadee's also generally facilitate closer coupling with less gaps between rolling stock.

I have thought of getting everything I own converted to kadees. Many don't have the "pockets", though. That's some 20 locos and maybe 50 items of rolling stock (so far). Some RTR, some kits made up. Some old, some modern.

What would be your advice on a project like that? I know the end result, if well done, would be a good one - but is it too much hassle?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I have thought of getting everything I own converted to kadees. Many don't have the "pockets", though. That's some 20 locos and maybe 50 items of rolling stock (so far). Some RTR, some kits made up. Some old, some modern.

What would be your advice on a project like that? I know the end result, if well done, would be a good one - but is it too much hassle?

The simplest option is direct fix a Kadee No 5 or No36 Long shank coupler to the model, no messing about with NEM pockets.

https://www.kadee.com/ho-scale-couplers-c-274_276_284/36-ho-scale-30series-plastic-couplers-with-gearboxes-long-2564-centerset-shank-p-270.htm

We used the No36 coupler as standard for scratch, kit and rtr rolling stock on the Loughrea layout.

IMG_2796.thumb.jpg.f6b343a906d1a250499cc00bea08c6c1.jpg

Kadee No36 coupler direct fixed to a Dapol/Airfix  tank wagon assembled about 30 years ago!, the wagon once part of a rake of 10 has been through the wars loosing a buffer at one end and a coupler at the other end

• Like 4

8 hours ago, spudfan said:

I’ve also had this issue propelling the Bachmann RPSI green coaches run with A42 just because they were to hand and green and with the 42’ keg liner if I recall correctly when the A class is coupling to and propelling the rake. Same issue loco running under the wagon coupler and lifting the wagon which may run straight but propelling into a siding is a no-no. Once hooked the wagon cannot regain the rail even if the loco then hauls the rake as the vertical bar on the loco TLC is now within the circumference of the wagons TLC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

It’s a certain amount of work but I spread it overtime having now converted most of my stock. Most did not have NEM pockets so I used raft gearbox NEM couplings. This thread below shows some of the different conversions. Where NEM worked I went with that, where it didn’t, I kitbashed, modified or used draft gearbox Kadee whisker couplings which enabled me to hide the box entirely under the wagon floor. IMHO kadee no5s are unsuitable as the project visible too much.

image.jpeg.412a9563373de14f124b24b17b427160.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, spudfan said:

Same here. I did not want to mention it before TBH. The Weedspray flats derail when going over points as the A Class scoops up the first bogie set when reversing. I'll see If I can Video it later.  I think the 201 is the same as it has a droopy long coupling.

Over all not a great fan of the couplings on much of the Irish stuff with bogies TBH,  They do not like recentering on most stock with bogies, Mk.2 especially. Ugh.

Its not like I can pop down to the LMS and pick up some packets of Kaydees, Its either post from Europe with postage Order from the UK extra 3.50 for the pleasure of clearance plus postage.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I wonder if it would be worthwhile the big UK manufacturers getting together to discuss providing free Kadees with every new model released from now on to try to finally help banish the TLC from the face of the earth. Other industries see competitors work together to develop new, better standards that the whole industry then abides by. TLCs should have been retired decades ago already. Awful things. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I wonder if it would be worthwhile the big UK manufacturers getting together to discuss providing free Kadees with every new model released from now on to try to finally help banish the TLC from the face of the earth. Other industries see competitors work together to develop new, better standards that the whole industry then abides by. TLCs should have been retired decades ago already. Awful things. 

Can't see that happening.

42 minutes ago, murphaph said:

TLCs don't affect their sales, but offer the idea of 'compatibility' to ill informed consumers. Don't rock the boat if its not taking on water. If it ain't broke leave well enough alone is probably the reasoning. TLCs especially the more modern small variety are IMHO utter rubbish both functionally and visually. The old 1970s Triang larger soft plastic TLCs may have looked obtrusive but functionally they were pretty good forward or reverse. Just looked so 'toy town' and not very reliable for uncoupling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We hate tension locks.

While included, the MK2s and MK5's include magnetic couplings, the caldrons have magnetic chain couplers, and we're working on a range of magnetic and knuckle based systems that will offer compatibility with NEM and those that really want Tension Locks, will be able to continue using them

Well pleased to say lots of shunting about here and there and while the camera was rolling not an item of stock fell off the rails!!. Typical, Anyhow here are some shots of the A Class and 201 Coupling under the 42ft ones plus the couplings not centering.

You can see I have some silicon grease is added to the 42's to help this but no luck. I can't figure out why the couplings are not going back to the center.

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9446.jpg

• Like 4

Here is some Video, Failed getting into the Oscars so sorry bout the quality, Need more lighting in the cabin.

1st on of a A with Weedy Trains

The 2nd one if MK.2 and a mystery uncoupling!!

again sorry about the quality, The missus had the only fans set up at the time so had to make do with a manual yoke.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 6

@Georgeconna Hi George, I hope you n family had a good Christmas....

I notice in both your videos- in the first one, when shunting backwards the A's coupler is raising up to the point that the latch is not engaged any-more. In the second video, after the loco uncouples one can see that the latch on the A's coupler is still in the raised position> this may be the problem?

I would try to limit the A's coupler movement upwards and free up the latch pivot a bit if one can, so that it pivots freely and falls down on its own....

Eoin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, murrayec said:

@Georgeconna Hi George, I hope you n family had a good Christmas....

I notice in both your videos- in the first one, when shunting backwards the A's coupler is raising up to the point that the latch is not engaged any-more. In the second video, after the loco uncouples one can see that the latch on the A's coupler is still in the raised position> this may be the problem?

I would try to limit the A's coupler movement upwards and free up the latch pivot a bit if one can, so that it pivots freely and falls down on its own....

Eoin

It was fully engaged at the start, Just demonstrates the movement of same. I'm not too bother, As Noel says Kaydees would be the bizz.Just need to save up for em.

• Like 2

On 31/12/2021 at 11:16 AM, Georgeconna said:

Here is some Video, Failed getting into the Oscars so sorry bout the quality, Need more lighting in the cabin.

1st on of a A with Weedy Trains

The 2nd one if MK.2 and a mystery uncoupling!!

again sorry about the quality, The missus had the only fans set up at the time so had to make do with a manual yoke.

Hi George,if you are having trouble with mk2 coaches uncoupling as I did,I replaced with Hornby couplings and found them excellent,no uncoupling or derailing.

Screenshot_20220102-121634_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

This one is undated, taken by Senior. I think it is winter 80/81 but I'm not sure.

img166.thumb.jpg.a03fb7dda4c3f02893e3a4ace46929db.jpg

This, of course, is what would have interested Senior a great deal more! (Plus me, if truth be told....). His pic, Adelaide 1962.

img107.thumb.jpg.2c0416c3816dc631ce46836dd21d4126.jpg

But back to the diseasels. Senior wasn't down this way too often, so it should be easier to date this, probably late 80s he had a holiday in this neck'o'the woods..

img099.thumb.jpg.5358b735c2f8994b57b6f69e72b4618e.jpg

• Like 10

On 3/1/2022 at 1:31 AM, jhb171achill said:

This one is undated, taken by Senior. I think it is winter 80/81 but I'm not sure.

img166.thumb.jpg.a03fb7dda4c3f02893e3a4ace46929db.jpg

This, of course, is what would have interested Senior a great deal more! (Plus me, if truth be told....). His pic, Adelaide 1962.

img107.thumb.jpg.2c0416c3816dc631ce46836dd21d4126.jpg

But back to the diseasels. Senior wasn't down this way too often, so it should be easier to date this, probably late 80s he had a holiday in this neck'o'the woods..

img099.thumb.jpg.5358b735c2f8994b57b6f69e72b4618e.jpg

On of the LCs near Ballinacourty?

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

Thank you to everyone who bought As over the Christmas break, or indeed received them as gifts from loved ones. We hope you had a great time running or displaying them.

Our stocks on some have dwindled further. We have 11 of the special edition A1 left, and 10 of 056 in Supertrain livery with IR embellishments. So, if you fancy one, now would be the time to act... https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/availability_in-stock?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

Hello Mr 'Warbonnet', I know that you're busy trying to offload the remainder of the As but there are a number of us on here who passed the Leaving Cert (a long time ago) and are wondering when you are going to mention one of the new announcements for 2022. We're seven days into the new year and there hasn't been a word of what's in store for the forthcoming 12 months for us Irish Railway Modellers.

PS. It was jhb171achill who put me up to this*

*I went to the Boris Johnson School of Not Accepting Responsibility for any of my actions**

**I did not type this response following the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol***

*** What does 'copious' mean?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3