IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

13 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Ah, I thought it would tell you where your school tie was...

There you go, and like the man says, 'Every day is a school day'.  Thanks to Warbonnet and D J Dangerous for posting the links.  Enjoyed the videos, especially the way Jennifer overlayed stills photos of some point she was explaining in the video.  Nice that.  Those A Class are the business. 

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

After much begging, moaning, pleading and badgering, we managed to secure a small quantity of A Class standard decoders from ESU. These are the only new batch of ESU Lokpilots available anywhere, and we're so grateful to ESU for prioritising us with these. They have now arrived in stock and any pre-orders for these will be sent out from today. Thank you to everyone for your patience. 

We thought we'd have to wait 12 months for these as per the global semi conductor shortage! We have a relatively small surplus that you can order now here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a-class-dcc-standard-chip

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

Hi everyone,

We're also finished our audits of cancelled orders and have also freed up some of the stock we kept behind for warranty repairs. All numbers apart from A3r are now back on sale in extremely limited quantities. So, if you had previously missed out on a running number... 

Bag yours here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

We have been speculating as to whether IRM will follow their acclaimed "A" class model with it's smaller sibling the Metro Vick "C" class.

Bearing in mind that IRM have been lauded for their attention to detail and the accuracy of the various derivitives of the "A" class model we assume that if they were to release models of the Metro Vick "C" class it would be to the same exacting standards. The "A" class loco weighed in at 82 tons whereas the "C" class weighed in at 61.5 tons, roughly two thirds the weight of the "A" class. Would the model of the "C" class weigh two thirds the weight of the "A" class models and more importantly will it be two thirds the price of the "A" class.....?

Just trying to prepare my case to present to the Head of Household Finances should the "C" class arrive.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, spudfan said:

Just trying to prepare my case to present to the Head of Household Finances should the "C" class arrive.

Why don't you do as the Brexiteers suggested and 'Take Back Control' [of your finances]? That's what I did, hence, the reason I'm on my own now.*

I've a feeling that the next I.R.M. project will be either the B101 or the  Class 22 000 (I've eleven guesses left).

*Doesn't pay to take advice off me.

42 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Or subscribe to our news

That would have been the smart thing for me to do, otherwise, I wouldn't have mißed out on the opportunity to pick up two 036s 😞

• Funny 1

I finally got to open my A Class delivery and they really are stunning models, even better in the flesh! The packaging is excellent too, no fear of them being damaged in transit.

Just one question; are there screws under the cab connecting the body to the chassis? There's just a tiny gap (literally tiny, I'm being very pedantic) between the cab and buffer beam on the fan end of A46 but I'd say it just needs tightening. 1871015270_IMG_20211120_0955112.thumb.jpg.a3abd5030ba531d10edcb67a93f5da58.jpg

Edited by Barl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barl said:

I finally got to open my A Class delivery and they really are stunning models, even better in the flesh! The packaging is excellent too, no fear of them being damaged in transit.

Just one question; are there screws under the cab connecting the body to the chassis? There's just a tiny gap (literally tiny, I'm being very pedantic) between the cab and buffer beam on the fan end of A46 but I'd say it just needs tightening. 1871015270_IMG_20211120_0955112.thumb.jpg.a3abd5030ba531d10edcb67a93f5da58.jpg

Pop the magnetic roof off then you’ll see four small screw. Undo them and the whole body lifts cleanly away

Did not plan on buying an A Class however after all the great reviews I bought one this morning, fabulous model detail, weight, superb slow speed runner and the booklet with history of the A,  the standard for loco's has moved to another level, well done IRM

20211120_125018.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Plus, a model of probably the most well-proportioned locomotive ever to stalk the rails of Brexitland-Actoss-The-Sea, the LSWR “Radial” 4.4.2T, may appear too.

Ah come on now, JB . There’s some serious competition there!!! These are the pick of the bunch,surely….,.

386E02AE-8F49-4D92-8101-DB83007B7EDD.jpeg

B2C8F85D-A3F0-4ED6-8380-EAAAF07AA8BA.jpeg

F26951B7-F786-456B-A7F7-99E7913D3236.jpeg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

While I prefer things to be compatible location and time-wise, I wouldn’t be averse to mixing it up either…. My layout is unashamedly 1955-65, but if anyone ever does an 80 class set, I’m ready to buy! Plus, a model of probably the most well-proportioned locomotive ever to stalk the rails of Brexitland-Actoss-The-Sea, the LSWR “Radial” 4.4.2T, may appear too. It’ll look odd in charge of CIE cattle wagons, but there ye go!

I’m my eyes. A radial looks a bit like an SLNC leitrim class if you squint and completely ignore the wheel arrangement 

AF0005 SLNCR Manorhamilton 'Hazelwood' 1 July 1950

32 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Ah come on now, JB . There’s some serious competition there!!! These are the pick of the bunch,surely….,.

386E02AE-8F49-4D92-8101-DB83007B7EDD.jpeg

B2C8F85D-A3F0-4ED6-8380-EAAAF07AA8BA.jpeg

F26951B7-F786-456B-A7F7-99E7913D3236.jpeg

I’m on team radial for this one 😅

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Interestingly, Claud Hamilton (the big blue loco) has a strong Irish connection. It was named after Lord C H, an officer in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and son of the Duke of Abercorn (the family seat is still at Baronscourt in Co Tyrone). Hamilton was Chairman of the GER and took a huge personal interest in it, travelling across the system and seeking to thoroughly understand and improve it. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Interestingly, Claud Hamilton (the big blue loco) has a strong Irish connection. It was named after Lord C H, an officer in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and son of the Duke of Abercorn (the family seat is still at Baronscourt in Co Tyrone). Hamilton was Chairman of the GER and took a huge personal interest in it, travelling across the system and seeking to thoroughly understand and improve it. 

Anything to do with the Hamiltons of Cluanín?

• Like 1

Indeed there is Jb - Sir Frederick Hamilton, who built the castle in Manorhamilton, was the son of an earlier Claud Hamilton - a direct ancestor of the GER chairman. One wonders what he would have made of the SLNC - a world away from the GER and its expresses !  And to avoid thread creep entirely, imagine if the SLNC had been renewed and relaid by Euro money and re-equipped with As in two tone green and Cravens in SLNC maroon….that, however, is the kind of fantasy you want to paint up Lima class 33s and Mark 1s for, not IRM and Murphy models! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Galteemore said:

………..imagine if the SLNC had been renewed and relaid by Euro money and re-equipped with As in two tone green and Cravens in SLNC maroon….

I could have seen them struggle on with hiring stock and diesel locos  in from CIE & the UTA  in Enniskillen, as they were already doing that with carriages on busy days. Fast forward to EU days and they get grants to get a couple of 2-car 2600 sets. And IE operate their timber trains from Manorhamilton…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Now that we've gotten the I.R.M. As out of our' systems I wonder what will be the first of the 13 new announcements the guys have for 2022?

I'm sure that one of the lads posted that one of the 13 is going to be a unit... DART, 22000, 29000, 2600, 2700, who knows?

I'd suspect that one will be road vehicles, one will be a new large wagon, one will be an expansion of the Mk2B/C coach range, and one will be a P42 re-run. People lost their minds for Container Liners, Keg Liners and Ferts, they have to be on the burner!

• Like 2