IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

22 hours ago, connollystn said:

@Westcorkrailway - I didn't go to college and look where it got me [unemployed]. Anyway, better off buying one great model than lots of mediocre ones.  

The only reason they try to get people to go to college and or into university is to see just how much they can learn is the shortest period of time, I am personal disillusioned with the whole education system either side of the stream between our countries. Having worked in it for a few years I feel that anyone going now looses out on so much more. But most importantly, it is more about box ticking and not so much about the education in its own right.

If you have the talent for something practical on the whole you are not always encouraged to develop it, but to become someone who is capable of being an officer worker pushing bits of paper from one place to another.

Before you say I am off to where ever, just ask your self what sort of life you want afterwards, not every university student ends up with a high flying job.

Also don't forget this day and age it is more than likely you will end up with having had two or three different jobs by the time you get to my grumpy old age of 63. 

If you like using your hands then think about a modern Apprenticeship it will make your life so much more rewarding, I have yet to find a course on self employment or how to set up your own company or stuff of this nature as this is far and few between. 

If you have ambitions to become the next designer for Irish model rail it would be worth talking to them to find out what sort of qualities they would be looking for in someone to fill that role.

You don't have to be mad, but is does help you go a long way 😆 

Good luck in your educational endeavours, who knows you may one day end up being the President of Ireland, you can but dream

Colin Rainsbury

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, connollystn said:

@Westcorkrailway - I didn't go to college and look where it got me [unemployed]. Anyway, better off buying one great model than lots of mediocre ones.  

Kia Kaha! (Maori Stay Strong) Don't let it get you down, life is full of ups and downs it will come right in the end.

As a teenager I wanted to be a mechanical engineer but could no get into college because secondary school did not teach the required subjects, was unemployed for 6 months before I was offered what's now called an Internship in construction, very quickly discovered I had strong problem solving and project management skills and completed a lot of interesting projects over the past 30 years.

Although there have been setbacks along the with construction boom-bust cycle I am definitely better off than when I started out and in a way have fulfilled my mechanical engineering ambitions even if its in 1:76 scale

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Lovely stuff Patrick. That early shot of it gliding to a halt at the platform is sublime! Good music too- I have come to associate Máire Ní Chathasaigh & Chris Newman’s version of ‘Lord Inchiquin’ with the SLNC as it was on a loop when I was finishing ‘Enniskillen’! 

Cheers GM - I'd love to tell you who's performing the music but modesty prevents me.... 😇

Thanks for the kind comments - the A class locos are making themselves right at home on Brookhall Mill, it had been my plan to get the main building finished before their arrival but life got in the way :facepalm:

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Absolutely outstanding, Patrick!

Wow thanks JB!  Much appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Cheers GM - I'd love to tell you who's performing the music but modesty ….

I’ve always admired mounted military bands who can play whilst riding a horse but if you can perform that whilst operating a layout and filming it…. that’s just another level ;) 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Funny 2

On 9/11/2021 at 11:22 PM, connollystn said:

@Westcorkrailway - Silverfox should not be mentioned on the same website (or planet) as I.R.M. Can't even say that their attempts at modelling Irish railway prototypes are a dogs dinner because if I did then my dog would starve himself to death - he's not a fussy eater but has his limits. 

The Irish Silverfox stuff should always be considered more suitable for modellers rather than collectors. If you were willing to put in some work you could end up with a very acceptable model, certainly better than anything that was produced by repainted UK outline stuff and selling it as Irish!

• Like 6

On 10/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, murphaph said:

Hmmmm, I was also curious what sound this is. It sounds very much like an EMD sound from the ESU library to be honest! I asked in a comment what the prototype sound is from and found my comment deleted this morning. I doubted my sanity for a minute and just to be sure I restated the question (in a polite way, giving them credit for a nice sound first) and again, comment deleted! They obviously don't like people asking too many questions!

I went through the sound files on the ESU website and I'm pretty sure it's from their file for the EMD 16-567C 4EXH NT. So wrong engine model, wrong amount of cylinders AND it should be a Crossley engine anyway! In all fairness it does sound somewhat similar to the 645 used in the reengined A Class. I know because I used a similar file in my Silverfox A Class, which is ok for your own use but trying to pass it off as a custom built soundfile pisses me off to no end. Horn is terrible as well and the station sounds have been lifted from the old 071 file. It's probably just the 071 file with the engine sound switched.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:11 PM, Georgeconna said:

Yeah, when I see the Baccy 47 and the Fans whizzing around that would of been the cream on top of the A. How I love to see them rotating as it is very visible. Min 2.38 in the Vid below. Obviously extra few bob involved sticking it in and the Deluxe 47 is a fairly hefty price tag.

Have to agree, the fan on the As is quite prominent and in a sort of way it'd be nice if it could be motorised, however (have never stated this before), I feel that the newer models are a bit too fussy and rotating fans together with rotating axle boxes and sprung buffers are a few things that can be done without. You can have all the bells and whistles you want but if you don't capture the character of the prototype then all else is futile.

• Like 3

Jennifer E. Kirk has just uploaded her review of the I.R.M A class. Stumbled across a review from a Continental European railway modeller and he [Christian Bitter] was really impressed. He'd certainly know good value for mony when he sees it - a similarly detailed and quality HO model would be more expensive.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, irishthump said:

The Irish Silverfox stuff should always be considered more suitable for modellers rather than collectors. If you were willing to put in some work you could end up with a very acceptable model, certainly better than anything that was produced by repainted UK outline stuff and selling it as Irish!

Indeed.

I have several Silverfox bits myself, two “C” class among them, plus some coaching stock. They fill a very valuable niche, even if the liveries aren’t always right!

And I have more on order….

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Jennifer E. Kirk has just uploaded her review of the I.R.M A class. Stumbled across a review from a Continental European railway modeller and he [Christian Bitter] was really impressed. He'd certainly know good value for mony when he sees it - a similarly detailed and quality HO model would be more expensive.

Do you have any URL links?

Edited by Billycan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed.

I have several Silverfox bits myself, two “C” class among them, plus some coaching stock. They fill a very valuable niche, even if the liveries aren’t always right!

And I have more on order….

Indeed they do. I think anyone anticipating the NIR MK2s if they done already should consider picking up a Silverfox NIR 101. They look the best out of the box and if you do modify it/just build it from scratch. You could do a worthwhile job of a model that likely won’t be offered for Yonks if at all in RTR otherwise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Indeed they do. I think anyone anticipating the NIR MK2s if they done already should consider picking up a Silverfox NIR 101. They look the best out of the box and if you do modify it/just build it from scratch. You could do a worthwhile job of a model that likely won’t be offered for Yonks if at all in RTR otherwise!

Oh never say never 

22 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Oh never say never 

And never say never to the Cork & Macroom Direct Railway inspection car 🤣🤣🤣

the only thing I’d add if your getting a silverfox Hunslet is that you might have to wait a year for RTR as Irish stuff is only made done in October of every year if I’m not mistaken 

it does line up well with the anticipated mk2 coach release date  as well me thinks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Ah 007 gets the spotlight too!

Looked at this review, Pleasant enough, she could basically cut the time in half, goes over the loco, explains this and that and goes over it then again and allocates a score instead of just dong the score in the first place.

You will want a Degreaser when you get that loco back:)

Now back to Canoe Technique's for me trip tomorrow!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Well I remember one decoder supplier have a good old bitch and moan about Murphy’s 121 because it didn’t like his particular brand If decoder.

And someone always has an axe to grind, for whatever reason. But that’s life. We’re just delighted that our core customers are loving them and serves to encourage us to do more powered models for IRM. That’s the most important message we take out of our A Class experience. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 18