IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

You'd almost feel sorry for it. "A Lima A Class is for life, not just until IRM bring out something that actually looks like an A Class"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185127302612

I've two of those but I'd never sell them because they are part of my collection of historic Irish models, same with the Silver Foxes. My IRM 001  is going in a display case and won't run much.

• Like 2

So two of my six have landed here in Tasmania. Having been involved in this hobby over 50 yrs, I can say that in my opinion. this loco is the pinnacle of miniature engineering in 00. Detail, finesse andthoughtful design are outstanding.  In a time when so many ‘superdetailed’ locos arrive with wipers, handrails or pipes loose or missing, these As are exemplary. Whichever factory you boys have used for these, keep hold of em!!! Quality control is excellent. Thoughtful to include spare air horns too as they are so delicate. Can’t wait for my next four!

76629C02-F6FA-4602-B329-1FB2F56B8424.jpeg

8CB26296-C8F9-4742-84AA-529CF22554DE.jpeg

4DE25BFF-39B6-4583-82AF-4A873650DA0D.jpeg

F8D2263B-CB08-48E9-916C-3C3C79EBE4F1.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • WOW! 1

So, probably a taboo subject so early, but which of the remaining in-stock A Class locos are suitable for repaints to represent sold-out models?

I'm assuming that the only difference between the two ST/IR hybrids (007 and 056), and the day-glow IR models (036 and 054), is the lack of CAWS guards?

ST livery 018 looks like the early ST, has staff catchers, has no CAWS and has original windscreens, but ST livery 027 looks appropriate for IR resprays...

No staff catchers, has CAWS and has toughened windscreens.

So hybrids 007 and 056 along with ST 027 would be appropriate for pre-CAWS IR repaints?

What about the A46 that everybody lost their minds over, and the various B/T models that are almost gone?

Were the bodies the same through the silver, green, B/T pre-rebuild and black versions?

Were the B/T rebuilt A3R, A23R and A39R the same as ST livery 018?

I'm not going repainting one, don't worry, but I am curious!

• WOW! 1

Dave,  following on from your post, my sketchy knowledge of the A’s numbering system is confusing me.  I had thought that the suffix ‘R’ denoted rebuilt or re-engined locos following the power unit switch to GM.  Why then, does 018 not have this suffix? According to IRM info it is suitable for the GM sound chip?

I maybe answering my own question here, but is it the case that after Black n Tan locos, ST livery onwards did not bother with this suffix as they were all re- engined by then?

Also, what does the s suffix denote? strengthened windscreens?

Edited by johnfromoz

12 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

Dave,  following on from your post, my sketchy knowledge of the A’s numbering system is confusing me.  I had thought that the suffix ‘R’ denoted rebuilt or re-engined locos following the power unit switch to GM.  Why then, does 018 not have this suffix? According to IRM info it is suitable for the GM sound chip?

I maybe answering my own question here, but is it the case that after Black n Tan locos, ST livery onwards did not bother with this suffix as they were all re- engined by then?

Also, what does the s suffix denote? strengthened windscreens?

I see from this previous post that the "R" suffix was only used in a mixed-engine fleet:

On 10/7/2021 at 3:28 AM, josefstadt said:

The original intention was that the A class numbering would revert to A1 to A60 after all locomotives had been re-engined. The 'r' suffix was only to identify the GM-powered locos in a mixed fleet and once all locos had been done it was no longer needed. As Warbonnet says above, A1 did receive that number with the Supertrain livery, but before it appeared out of Inchicore CIE had decided to adopt the new numbering scheme and it became 001.

The "S" suffix was for CAWS.

One A15 available!

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

Thanks for that, so I’m assuming no Crossley engined loco made it to ST livery..

According to this post by @jhb171achill, the A's were re-engined between 1968 and 1972, and I think that the Supertrain livery only arrived in around 1972:

On 29/3/2019 at 1:33 AM, jhb171achill said:

Type

Introduced

Last operated

(as opposed to official withdrawal date, which could be months or years later)

Usual* location & use after 1968

(* In most cases this is absolute, e.g. IE’s 201 class never worked to Larne, nor Tara wagons to Loughrea. In a few examples, a one-off or trial run might have worked outside the area described)

Notes

NIR – GNR origin

AEC / BUT Railcars

1950-9

G V St. – Portadown (– Dundalk)

Never used on NCC section.

(Prior to 1965, used on “Derry Road”, and AEC cars got as far as Newcastle (Co. Down), Clones, Enniskillen & Bundoran).

Withdrawn when 80 class stock arrived. Very comfortable, if noisy.

GNR-built loco-hauled wooden-framed coaching stock

1930s-40s

Within period 1969 onwards, only excursions and very occasional extra summer services. Withdrawn when 80 class stock arrived.

Stock in use in this period dated mostly from late 1930s – 1949. Common fleet with ex-NCC stock.

NIR – NCC / UTA origin

“WT” Class 2.6.4T “Jeep”

1947-50

Last examples 1970

Within post-1969 period, spoil trains on Larne line, plus ballast duties only. Very occasional passenger excursion in summer on NCC section. In ballast use, GN section also.

Built 1947-50, thus earlier ones originally carried NCC markings, later UTA only.

On spoil trains, a loco each end.

BCDR Diesel No. 28

Shunted Grosvenor Road goods yard only post-’69.

Elusive, as it was never seen elsewhere, thus rarely photographed.

MED Railcars

c.1982

Built for the Bangor line. Confined to there until Central line reopened 1976, then to be seen on GN section and occasionally Larne line. Not to Portrush or Derry.

One set with cars 6 & 7 was on the GN and NCC sections, either as a 2-car or with a centre car.

VERY uncomfortable and stuffy to travel in, on cramped bus seats. Ghastly inventions, rivalled only by the dreadful “Castle Class”!

One set had a beautiful old NCC 3rd class coach (526) as a centre car until about 1981.

MPD Railcars (several designs, corridor and non-corridor; latter usually Larne line)

Various 1950s – early 60s

Last c.1980

Ex-NCC lines, also briefly on the Lisburn-Antrim line when reopened in 1976. Occasionally ran as single car units on locals on NCC. Used in multiples to haul CIE goods trains from Lisburn to Derry until mid 70s.

A mix of new builds and conversions from corridor and non-corridor NCC coaches, some as old as early 1920s.

A single car often used to shunt York Road or Derry

Loco-hauled wooden-framed coaching stock

1920s-1951

Within period 1969 onwards, only excursions and very occasional extra summer services. Withdrawn when 80 class stock arrived.

Stock in use in this period dated mostly from early 1920s – 1951. Included three of the five North Atlantic Express carriages, one now preserved at Whitehead (No. 91), and a couple of UTA “Festival” stock from 1951. Common fleet with ex-GNR stock in UTA / NIR days.

70 Class railcars

Initially, NCC main line, then “Enterprise” late ‘60s until Hunslets arrived. Then back to NCC. From 1976, in use on locals Bangor – Portadown also.

Centre cars were a mix of new-builds delivered with them, and several converted ex-GNR and NCC stock (K15 727 was the last GN coach in use until about 1981)

“DH” class 0.6.0 Diesel shunter

Mid 1980s

Ballast & shunting only. One was allocated to York Road with another there spare, the third to G V St. Underpowered and max speed 25mph. Rarely used after c.1978.

Rarely seen north of Ballymena (if ever?). Initial idea to use on locals to C’fergus too, but a trial run was unsuccessful.

NCC & UTA built loco-hauled wooden-framed coaching stock

Various 1920-51

NIR inherited a stock of old “steam” coaches. Post-1969, these were used for very occasional summer excursions on the NCC section. Perhaps no more than 2 or 3 outings per year as such.

Joined about 1971/2 by several old AEC railcars, with engines removed as secondary coaches. IN last few years, some repainted all maroon, rest remained UTA green.

UTA Cravens Spoil Wagons

1970 / 1980s

Magheramorne – Belfast Shore Road until spoil contract finished, then most scrapped. A few retained as ballast wagons until 1980s.

Side tipping, high centre of gravity, thus unstable when loaded, on poor track, or at speed!

NCC / UTA “Brown Vans”

Mid 1930s – Early 1950s

1980s

Fitted vans with almost main line side profiling, used initially on NCC main line and Larne line for parcels and mail. Slightly longer wheelbase than normal. Examples preserved at Whitehead and Downpatrick.

Not seen in normal goods trains too often. Ran behind steam originally, latterly railcars, mostly MPD type. Rarely seen on GN section, not ever used on Bangor line at all as far as I know.

NIR – Ordered new

101 Class “Hunslet” locomotives

Various*

The trio built new for the “Enterprise”. A poor and underpowered design, they were plagued with unreliability, especially 103. When the 111 “GM” class arrived in 1977

*withdrawal varied. 103 stopped in1980s.

101 last ran about 1994. 102 shunted Adelaide (only!) from then until about 2002

111 Class “GM” locomotives

111 & 112 – 1977

113 - 1981

In use

Enterprise duties from new. In 1980s 113 was rarely in traffic. Used on ballast all over NIR since 1990s. Since De Dietrichs arrived, little used – ballast only. 112 was lent to IE for several years, though, in early 2000s and was used on Ballina passenger and beet trains among others.

Last passenger use was the early Newry – Central commuter service with “Gatwick” coaches, until c.2000(?)

NIR Mk 2 passenger stock

1970 on

Early 2000s

Original set for Enterprise, later acquisitions. Used on Enterprise mostly, but very briefly a push-pull set on the Derry line late 1980s. Latterly early commuter services Newry – Central.

Joined by Gatwick stock, which was the last of this type of stock in use until, the early 2000s, when its solitary use was Dublin rugby specials and the 0700 Newry – Central. I think this ended about 2009?

80 Class Railcars

1974 & 1978 (2 batches)

Early 2000s

Entire NIR network, with occasional forays to Dublin and beyond. Three sets lent to IE in early 1990s for Greystones shuttle, one working for a short time on the Cork-Cobh suburban line

A few held onto until 2017 as the Sandite train; several preserved at DCDR. Absolute mainstay of NIR services for almost 40 years.

“Castle” (or 450) Class Railcars

Early 2000s

Entire NIR network, with occasional forays as far as Dundalk. I’m unaware of any in Dublin but it’s possible. Latterly didn’t go often to Derry, as this would have left NIR open to claims for torturing passengers… a run in one of these things from Lambeg to Hilden was bad enough.

NB: These were never known as “thumpers” by NIR, and only referred to as “450” towards the end of their life: staff and enthusiasts alike called them “Castle Class”….

In this writer’s opinion, by far the most uncomfortable passenger vehicle ever to run on this island – a title shared with MED sets.

CAF 3000 & 4000 Class Railcars

200?

In use

All NIR network plus Dublin

Open wagons & Guard’s vans

c.1915

1940s

About 2 ex-NCC and 2 ex-GN guard’s vans plus a motley collection of dilapidated open wagons used only for ballast trains.

Most of the open wagons were ex-NCC stock latterly used for coal traffic to Courtaulds in Carrickfergus.

CIE / IE

A Class

All duties as new. Unreliable until re-engined 1968-72; so mostly goods in 1960s. Back to main line duties 1972-76, when gradually displaced by 071s back onto secondary passenger and goods. Last six retained on Tara Mines until 1996.

One made it to Monaghan. Other locations visited were Harcourt Street, Mallow-Waterford, Tralee – Limerick – Sligo, Ardee, etc. Several preserved (A3, A15, A39, A55).

B101 Class

Mostly Cork – Waterford and North Kerry; seen as “southern engines”. To be seen on the Limerick-Sligo line very occasionally on the goods, and the main line Dublin – Cork. After 1976, little used except occasional ballast trains, yet many were repainted in “Supertrain” passenger livery.

Unknown on GN section or DSER. However, the last in use (106) did an IRRS special to Bray in 1976 – the last run of one. (My one and only cab ride in one!).

B121 Class

Early 2000s

These, the 141s and 181s operated as a common fleet, all fitted to run in multiple with each other. All over system, all duties.

The 121 class rarely ran “nose-first”, though in later days occasionally did so if on the Belfast goods, when it shunted Barrack Street Yard.

B141 Class

1962/3

Early 2000s

All CIE system, all duties

Several 141s reached Omagh on several occasions in 1963. Other locations included Foynes, Ardee, Loughrea, New Ross, Castleisland, Kingscourt…you get the idea.

B181 Class

Early 2000s

All CIE system, all duties

Last in use - 187 as Connolly Pilot

C Class

1956-8

Built for branch lines – which then closed! Used on the West Cork system when new, also places like Birr where there could be heavy cattle and goods traffic. Unreliable until re-engined in late 1960s. Spent 1960s on light goods and shunting, only passenger when absolutely necessary, and on Dublin suburban. From early 1970s until withdrawal increasingly Dublin suburban, push / pulling old AEC railcars and clapped out old Park Royals and laminates until DARTs came along.

Six sold to NIR 1986, for ballast and shunting. One never ran with NIR. Others withdrawn (some seeing almost no action) by mid 1990s. Two preserved.

D Class

Early 1970s

Shunting Dublin area only

First Irish built diesels. After 1968/9, only one operational, but did little work beyond an occasional shunt in Inchicore.

E401 Class

1956?

By 1985

Shunting Dublin area, North Wall, Cork & Limerick – Dublin only within post-1969 period

Post 1969, Heuston Yard was the usual haunt.

E421 Class

1961/2

c.1986

Shunting Dublin area, North Wall, Cork, Galway & Limerick – Dublin only after late 1970s.

Occasional visits elsewhere.

G601 Class

c.1962

Three built. Initially allocated to Newmarket, Banagher and Mitchelstown branches, which would then close, leaving them no work, as no vac brakes. Thus couldn’t be used on Loughrea passenger trains. Hung around Inchicore until G602/3 scrapped in 1970s, not used. G601 had fallen into a pit where it remained until the ITG rescued it. Saw occasional shunting service about Cork, Tralee areas, I think. The ONLY revenue was 4-6 wagon trains on goods only branches for a very short few years.

I include these (the ones with 3 square windows on the cab) just to illustrate the apparent confusion between them and the later seven G611s. This initial trio are only appropriate for a layout in the 1955-62 period, as they did virtually nothing after that, bar a little bit of shunting within Inchicore.

Basically useless purchases.

G611 Class

1975*

Seven built, this time WITH vac brakes. Used at various times to shunt and Dundalk, Ballina, Tralee, Fenit, Castleisland, Tuam Beet Factory, Cork (Coaching), Galway, Limerick. For three months in 1963 G613 worked the one-sixwheeler Foynes passenger / mixed train, and from 1963 to closure in 1975 they monopolised the Loughrea branch – passenger, goods and mixed. The Loughrea branch closed in November ’75 – last place in Ireland with mixed trains, cattle traffic, traditional branch services and atmosphere, and the only place the G class were ever the “main” traction. And the day I travelled, G613 was away shunting Tuam; I was furious at the sight of a C instead on the mixed train!

These were the ones with two larger cab windows.

*G611 used unofficially as Limerick works shunter for many years afterwards, following return from Sugar Co.

071 Class

In use

Front line main line passenger when new, gradually on goods too, main passenger fleet until replacement by 201s from 1996. Now goods and PW only.

Some in use from ’77 only

201 Class

In use

Replaced 071s in front line duty from arrival in 1996. Ran with Mk 2, Mk 3, Craven and Mk 4 stock. When large numbers of railcars, especially the ICRs from 2002, started arriving there was little for such a large fleet to do. Thereafter used on Enterprise and Cork Mk 4s, and goods. Underused now, many in store.

Some in storage for almost twenty years now, a few having seen barely ten years use.

K Class

Ex GNR MAK Diesel No. 800. Spent most of the post-1969 period stored in Inchicore. Briefly ran on Cork-Cobh, then withdrawn.

Suitable for a layout where “what might have been” is more important than “what actually happened”!

SLNCR Railcar 2509

About 1972

Used within this period only on a few IRRS trips and crew training.

As above!

2600 Class Railcars (AEC / BUT)

Used initially on main line & Dublin suburban, including Cork (Albert Quay) – Bantry, and Tralee – Limerick – Sligo. Relegated to Dublin locals only as diesel locos arrived. BUT cars ran little after late 60s and may be outside the scope of this table.

Some AEC cars converted late 60s / early 70s to push / pull for Dublin suburban, last examples withdrawn c. 1990.

(NB: I saw a CIE AEC set at Hilden on the Enterprise about 1965…)

2600 Class Railcars (modern)

In use

The first of the “new” railcars, used when new on Heuston suburban services and the Cobh line. Ran in 2, 4 or 6 car sets usually. Now used entirely in Cork area.

Nicknamed “Fanta Cans” when new, due to their version of the orange & black livery. Later became “Lilt Cans” when in the grotesque navy and lime green livery. So I suppose they must be 7-up now……

2700 Class Railcars

1998?

Stored

Later versions of above, latterly used in Cork & Limerick areas

…….and they LOOK like tins on wheels.

2800 Class railcars

Late 1990s

In use

Similar story to above, currently based round Limerick, with examples seen in Cork too, and used on the Ballina branch.

29000 Class Railcars

In use

Dundalk – Dublin – DSER, and MGW suburban route. I’m unaware of these going anywhere else – maybe someone can add to this.

22000 Class Railcars (ICR)

In use

All IE main lines now – they’ve even done the Enterprise

DART

1984 on

In use

Various batches Malahide – Greystones.

Initial route (1984) Howth – Bray only

Older wooden-bodied carriages

1915-30

CIE kept a stock of ex-GSWR carriages for excursions in the Cork & Dublin areas until 1974. Used on peak suburban services very occasionally, and in complete sets summer excursions to Greystones, Howth and Cork – Youghal.

The last six-wheelers (based in Cork) had been withdrawn from service in 1963, though one was used in 1964 for an IRRS jolly over to Albert Quay.

Bredin carriages

1933-37

Last c. 1977

Used as a common fleet with the four varieties below, and the three varieties of vans mentioned below. All CIE system.

For the modeller it is important to remember that it was only when Mk 2 & Mk 3 stock appeared that “uniform” trains were the norm.

CIE 1951-3 carriages

1951-3

Last c. 1980

All CIE

Bredins, Laminates, Park Royals, old CIE stock, and Cravens all operated together, and rarely was there a train with two carriages the same beside each other!

Laminates

1956-61

Last c. 1990

All CIE

Other than Cravens, the other types would have been in West Cork, Tralee – Sligo, Mallow – Waterford, Loughrea, North Wexford, etc etc.

Park Royals

1955-6

Last 2 – 1996

All CIE

Cravens

1963-4

Last c. 2006?

All CIE after 1963/4, thus not some branches

There was at least a single occasion which brought a Craven coach into Loughrea on a special.

“Tin vans”

Mid 50s

Last c.1977

All CIE

Earlier examples all over branch lines, ran behind steam, and all over Wisht Carrk too.

Initially 4-wheeled luggage vans built, then 4 and 6 wheeled genny vans and about 4 x 4 wheeled TPO vans, one of the latter now rescued at DCDR from recent weedspray duties. Last time I saw a “tin£ luggage van on a passenger train was Limerick – Ennis in 1976 or 1977.

“Dutch” Vans

Mid 60s

2000s

All CIE

So called as they were built with Werkspoor parts. Last railway vehicles built in Dundalk Works.

BR Vans

c.1970

2000s

All CIE

Converted from ex-BR Mk 1 stock, acquired for the purpose of replacing the “tin vans” on main line services

Mk 2 “Supertrain” carriages

1972 on

2000s

Main lines:  Limerick – Claremorris on exceptionally rare excursion

Never ran with all the above carriages; nor did anything subsequent. The deathly dull era of trains of all the one type of stock had arrived!

Mk 2 AB (second hand BR) carriages

1990s

?

All IE

Clapped out BR MK 2’s acquired in the mid-1990s as a stop-gap measure until the ICRs and other new railcars arrived. A coat of orange and black, a little sealing wax and sellotape and a 201 up front and it’s grand….

Mk 3 carriages

1986 on

2005/6?

IE Main Lines

Several sets of these were non-a/c push-pulls, used in conjunction with 121 class locos usually.

Mk 4 carriages

Late 1990s?

In use

Dublin - Cork

Have been trialled to Killarney

“Galway” International carriages

1990s

After trials, settled into existence on Heuston – Galway line.

Beautiful coaches, very comfortable.

Timber-bodied covered vans

Mostly 1940s

Last c.1971

Seen in every corner of CIE system, and as far as Derry and Belfast up to about 1970.

The last examples were GSR / early CIE from 1940-50 period, with an occasional all-wood ex-GN type, inherited from the GNR in 1959.

GNR Cement vans

1951-4

Last c.1975

Seen in every corner of CIE system, and as far as Derry and Belfast up to about 1972.

“H” vans

Mid 50s on

Last 1977

Seen in every corner of CIE system, and as far as Derry and Belfast up to about 1972.

Palvans

Early 60s

Last c.1976

CIE cattle wagons

Early 60s

Seen wherever cattle trains operated in period covered. Mostly Cabra, Loughrea. Cattle declined severely in 1960s. Last was Loughrea, 1975. All wagons then taken to Cork for burning and recovery of metal parts.

Ex-GNR cattle wagons were all withdrawn by CIE almost immediately after 1958, and are thus inappropriate for a CIE layout.

Bullied designed open wagons

Mid 50s on

2002?

Built as standard opens for all uses, latterly beet only after goods went fitted from 1977. Seen in every corner of CIE system, and as far as Derry and Belfast up to about 1972.

Doubled up and fitted in final years. Last four wheelers in use (beet). As doubled up, Wellington Bridge to Mallow only

Wooden-bodied open wagons

1940s on

Last c.1971

All CIE, plus Dundalk – Derry & Adelaide goods.

Also Derry Road prior to 1965 – but rarely seen in north after 1970

“Lancashire Flats”

Late 60s?

1990s??

The first “fitted” container flats – all CIE system plus Belfast / Derry goods. I think NIR got hold of one or two for Larne mail containers.

Long wheelbase four wheelers.

CIE 20 & 30 Ton Brake Vans

Late 50s on

1977*

Used for all types of goods trains. From the mid 1950s, early examples built with vertical wooden board sides, sheet steel from early 60s. A concentrated build programme 1959-63, plus branchline closures, eliminated all older types within a very short time.

*In traffic, 1977 – but two or three retained for PW, empty stock and other shunting movements well into 2000s. One in some sort of PW train with ends removed, now stored in Limerick without, as far as I know, ever having been used in this guise.

Older Brake Vans

Various

c.1963

See above; a small number (two ex-GSWR, for example) survived into the 1960s but by our period (post 1969) nothing but CIE standards were in traffic.

CIE inherited a couple of GNR vans, but these saw little use although one or two received the CIE grey livery and “flying snails”. Withdrawn long before 1969, though NIR retained two at this time on ballast duties.

A number of GSWR plough vans survived in PW trains until well into this century, albeit the last two were like Trigger’s Brush; so many newer parts, their originality was suspect! Important to note that plough vans were ONLY for ballast, never used as brake vans. (Someone asked me that recently).

Cement “bubbles”

Mid 60s on

2000s

Ask IRM!

Original bubbles 4-wheel, later cement wagons were bogie.

Bogie container wagons

Early 70s on

In use

Everywhere there has been fitted freight since the early 1970s

Other bogies (Ammonia, Tara, Fertiliser, etc)

Various

Various

Specialist traffic on specific routes only

A story in itself; another day!

RPSI Whitehead carriages

1960s

In use

RPSI excursions to all points north of Connolly (except the Navan branch, though RPSI has taken Cravens and wooden stock in there in the past…)

These carriages come from three sources, though all are 1960s BR design.

1.       Ex NIR 1970 Enterprise (built new then)

2.      Later NIR acquisitions for the Enterprise, but 2nd hand BR

3.       Vehicles acquired by RPSI direct from England, which never ran here in company service.

De Dietrichs

(JOINTLY OWNED IE / NIR)

In use

Dublin – Belfast (Lanyon Central Maysfields)

Spare parts now hard to get, I hear; what will they be replaced with?

Maintenance vehicles

Various

These are a subject in themselves and are not covered. Earliest tamping machines were trialled on Dublin – Dundalk and parts of the Irish North in the mid 50s, and same time on CIE.

“Yellow” machines were originally grey. Ballast wagons, plough vans and other “proper” railway vehicles were normal railway livery until the late 1980s, i.e. all grey to about 1970, all brown afterwards.

As Wrenn says, they didn't exist.

Very few private owner wagons ever ran anywhere in Ireland. Even when a railway set aside stock for a specific customer's traffic, is was almost always just ordinary vehicles from stock. The GNR did have some vans marked "GUINNESS", as did the MGWR - but Guinness' never owned them.

Those seeking accuracy on a layout would avoid the all too common Hornby or Bachmann open wagons or vans with anything at all written on them.....as well as the gaudy colours....

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, johnfromoz said:

Thanks for that, so I’m assuming no Crossley engined loco made it to ST livery..

Correct me if I am mistaken but I think the introduction of the Supertrain livery coincided with the arrival of the BREL Mark II stock in the early 1970s - most upgraded Metropolitan Vickers [MV] locomotives exited the Inchicore works in the black and tan livery. Not sure that the conversion of the MV stock was completed by the time the Supertrain livery was introduced but it would only have been applied to EMD* engined MVs.

*Electro Motive Division of General Motors (USA)

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Correct.

10 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Dave,  following on from your post, my sketchy knowledge of the A’s numbering system is confusing me.  I had thought that the suffix ‘R’ denoted rebuilt or re-engined locos following the power unit switch to GM.  Why then, does 018 not have this suffix? 

When they re-engined them, they were designated with the “R” after this, but no sooner were they all done than the supertrain livery appeared (1972) and a new numbering system brought in as they were repainted into the new livery. This involved dropping not only the “R”, but the class prefix letter too, and on all classes. 

So what had originally been A1 - A60 became A1R - A60R when they were re-engined, then 001 - 060 only once repainted into supertrain livery. At the same time the B101, B121 and B181 classes became 101, 121 & 181 classes, and so on. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Correct.

When they re-engined them, they were designated with the “R” after this, but no sooner were they all done than the supertrain livery appeared (1972) and a new numbering system brought in as they were repainted into the new livery. This involved dropping not only the “R”, but the class prefix letter too, and on all classes. 

So what had originally been A1 - A60 became A1R - A60R when they were re-engined, then 001 - 060 only once repainted into supertrain livery. At the same time the B101, B121 and B181 classes became 101, 121 & 181 classes, and so on. 

Don't forget that A1 (minus the 'R' suffix as the rebuild programme was complete) made a very brief appearance in Supertrain before being renumbered 001... :) 

• Like 1

After examining a further two arrivals, I am struck by the uncanny levels of Q/control. I am yet to find a fingerprint, paint smudge. glue residue mark, ill fitting accessory or oil marks on the body, ALL of which are commonplace on new locos from the big three. Add to that locos that are routinely sent out by H, H & B with sticky mechanisms, dodgy paint jobs, loose handrails and the contrast with IRM’s first loco is stark.

A98AD57A-1CB4-404D-82FC-9F8103007F38.jpeg

AABC618F-7A54-40B9-9DC9-BAD2BF888BE3.jpeg

08BF395B-47F3-4F29-8E51-E5639EA0DFC8.jpeg

AB2BBC81-1584-40FE-B228-9638E28159B7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

Finnally it’s my turn to dazzled by the A class and Dazzled I was! Postman chucked it at me this morning as he was in a rush, no damage done thankfully 

AD9D848E-063E-49A1-9C3C-BCFB3BCF8C2E.thumb.jpeg.93b595ad9b3450520980120d7148636b.jpeg

A1E934C4-F96D-4BCE-9C7B-27F1D14AAA40.thumb.jpeg.6c9fc99e5926595b562e6451fb2873fc.jpeg

The only A class variant that got verifiably got on to west cork rails. The silver A class in 1956, 57 and 62 (cork city railway) albeit probably more dirty then the one before me 

18DBC789-6345-416D-8921-3D06DAF30E8C.thumb.jpeg.ded660af612cae778fae8d1eed624e18.jpeg6385F35F-037A-43A7-B22D-C6009CF4E6CB.thumb.jpeg.8d24e39c2268f39114111020c75946fc.jpeg

While I don’t have a silverfox A, I do have a silverfox C (hopefully C212 can also get an upgrade in the coming years) just for comparison putting the two together to see the leap we have made in terms of Metro-vics! 

cant wait to give it a run later, no doubt it will be out of the park

thank you to all at IRM 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1