IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Been playing with A class with the ESU decoders commissioned by IRM installed. Love this loco's incredible chassis and smooth running. A few DCC sound questions please if anybody knows the answers I'd much appreciate it. Please forgive if I've misunderstood the published function list:

1. How does one turn the cab lights on? F12 doesn't seem to do anything
  2. What is F23 (Shunt mode lights) meant to do? It seems to turn both cab lights on rather than shunting lights or have I missed something
  3. F25 engine room lights doesn't seem to do anything?
  4. Is F13 Train brake designed to gradually brake the train when coasting (eg when F7 is engaged)? How does one simulate long distance gradual braking (ie inertia)?
  5. Do I need to do any remapping or something?

Many thanks

Noel

11 hours ago, Noel said:

Been playing with A class with the ESU decoders commissioned by IRM installed. Love this loco's incredible chassis and smooth running. A few DCC sound questions please if anybody knows the answers I'd much appreciate it. Please forgive if I've misunderstood the published function list:

1. How does one turn the cab lights on? F12 doesn't seem to do anything
  2. What is F23 (Shunt mode lights) meant to do? It seems to turn both cab lights on rather than shunting lights or have I missed something
  3. F25 engine room lights doesn't seem to do anything?
  4. Is F13 Train brake designed to gradually brake the train when coasting (eg when F7 is engaged)? How does one simulate long distance gradual braking (ie inertia)?
  5. Do I need to do any remapping or something?

Many thanks

Noel

Hello Noel,

Back on November 27th we sent out an email detailing an error on the DCC function list. I have copied and pasted it below in full to assist you.

Updated A Class DCC Function List

As you play with your A Class you may note that there has been a mix up with two functions. This is due to a misprint in the operating manual. F12 is in fact "Shunt Mode Marker Lights - Front and Rear" and F23 is "Cab Interior Lights". In the manual this is stated as the opposite way round. Apologies for this mix up.

You can download the updated list by clicking on this link.

F25 does function as an engine room light but as per prototype it is very faint. Please check across a couple of your locos in case the one you are looking at is not working correctly.

Thanks,

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hello Noel,

Back on November 27th we sent out an email detailing an error on the DCC function list. I have copied and pasted it below in full to assist you.

As you play with your A Class you may note that there has been a mix up with two functions. This is due to a misprint in the operating manual. F12 is in fact "Shunt Mode Marker Lights - Front and Rear" and F23 is "Cab Interior Lights". In the manual this is stated as the opposite way round. Apologies for this mix up.

F25 does function as an engine room light but as per prototype it is very faint. Please check across a couple of your locos in case the one you are looking at is not working correctly.

Thanks,

Fran 

Hi Fran

No prob. Thanks for the info and link to the PDF. Are the cab lights supposed to be bi-directional? They seem to come on at both ends. Will have another play later today. Thanks. Noel

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hello Noel,

Thanks,

Fran 

PS: Fran a few more questions by way of explanation if you were able to please answer or point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful:

1. Is F6 a toggle between normal inertia acceleration/decelaration times and more direct slower shunting throttle response? or is it a sort of train load setting?
  2. Is F13 intended as gradual train braking from coasting or throttle hold? Can one set this decoder up for coasting when a braking function is needed to bring the train to a halt over a prototypical distance?

Many Thanks

Noel

23 hours ago, Noel said:

PS: Fran a few more questions by way of explanation if you were able to please answer or point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful:

1. Is F6 a toggle between normal inertia acceleration/decelaration times and more direct slower shunting throttle response? or is it a sort of train load setting?
  2. Is F13 intended as gradual train braking from coasting or throttle hold? Can one set this decoder up for coasting when a braking function is needed to bring the train to a halt over a prototypical distance?

Many Thanks

Noel

Hi Noel,

Apologies in the delay in responding to your queries. Unfortunately we have suffered a burst pipe in our office which has been tremendous fun to deal with.

1. F6 reduces the top speed and kills a lot of the inertia. Makes it a lot easier to handle for shunting etc so it's a precision mode.

2. F13 emulates an increased loading so adds to the amount of time to stop. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

23 hours ago, Noel said:

Hi Fran

No prob. Thanks for the info and link to the PDF. Are the cab lights supposed to be bi-directional? They seem to come on at both ends. Will have another play later today. Thanks. Noel

The cab lights should be bi-directional but aren’t. Road and Rails did YouTube video on how to correct this. At Capacitor end swop over X5 to X6 and vice versa. At decoder end swop X5 to X7 and vice versa. 
Note  X5 has 2 wires yellow & black, it’s only the yellow wire that needs swopping over. A narrow tip is needed on soldering iron.

If done correctly, the cab lights are bi-directional and the marker lights work according to Function instructions.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

A12 is a perfect “crossover” between the end of steam and the re-engining programme, itself finishing the same year the “supertrains” started.

A black “A” with or without yellow ends will be happily accurate with “snail”-clad loose coupled wagons, and a 50/50 mix of green and black’n’tan carriages, passing along beside a loco shed with rusty withdrawn steam engines in it; but also it will be happy alongside a class sister now hauling squeaky clean new Cravens, with its new GM engine, tan lower band, and “R” after its number. Place it on the GNR main line, sitting in Drogheda, and the new Hunslet-hauled Mk 2 “Enterprise” can swing by, taking this comparison to its ultimate extent.

The 1960s saw the biggest changes in Irish railways in their history, and the black “A” - with AND without the yellow patch - was at the centre of it.

• Like 6
  • Informative 3

I must admit Ordering from IRM is fab.

This week I say to the Missus what days are you working this week love... replies "nights Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday on days". Ah bummer I say gonna miss ya (MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!).

Straight onto IRM and order this yesterday and ding dong arrives on que the this am....No one the wiser :) 

If life was this easy all the time eh. As JHB says she a nice looking loco. 

Tks lads Superb service.

IMG_9635.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

On 1/2/2022 at 2:34 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

In other news A12 (a personal favourite of yours truly, it looks the mutts nuts to me!) Is now down to 20 items remaining in stock. Once they hit this level it's not not before the go completely.

131971180_a12box.thumb.jpg.037aa304457b93bc6bf7acf42c3e01c7.jpg

Don't miss out! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/a12-a-class-locomotive

Cheers!

Fran 

Got delivery of this beauty yesterday A55 in CIE Black. Straight into service hauling pickup goods train to Galway via Mullingar, Moate, Athlone and Athenry with 10 wagons being disconnected and sent north to Claremorris. Photo doesn't do this model justice as the lighting was poor.

IMG_5160.thumb.JPG.0fff93e74405e0b5cc68a3ea3b73c636.JPG

IMG_5161.thumb.JPG.c8971a2c8973000a29ca4343673dcc9d.JPG

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

We're delighted that everyone is enjoying their As. As per the Railway Modeller review, performance was key, and something we really pushed hard for. Looking great is one thing, but the locos need to perform too, so our push for weight, helical gearing etc was vital and it paid off. 

Only 10 items of A12 left folks.... A55 also seeing a surge in recent days and when you see @Noel's pics it's easy to understand why!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

We're delighted that everyone is enjoying their As. As per the Railway Modeller review, performance was key, and something we really pushed hard for. Looking great is one thing, but the locos need to perform too, so our push for weight, helical gearing etc was vital and it paid off. 

Only 10 items of A12 left folks.... A55 also seeing a surge in recent days and when you see @Noel's pics it's easy to understand why!

Cheers!

Fran 

Black Beauty. This has become my favourite livery for the CIE A class. Epic 1960s nostalgia.  By way of confession, I got a little confused the other night when running it and I couldn't get F22 to work (ie headlights), but of course the early un-rebuilt locos didn't have lights lamps. Call it a brain 7art. :) Looking forward to the Crossley sound decoder whenever it becomes available for my 3 older A classes (Silver, Green and this Black beauty)

Black Beauty. CIE's top line loco in its day.

IMG_5188.JPG

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Looking forward to the Crossley sound decoder whenever it becomes available for my 3 older A classes (Silver, Green and this Black beauty)

Black Beauty. CIE's top line loco in its day.

IMG_5188.JPG

Looking good!

Re Crossley sounds; it seems that Australia is starting to open up again, which is positive. All except Western Australia, where the X Class is. Typical! Hopefully soon though. We really want to make the crossleys come to life.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Looking good!

Re Crossley sounds; it seems that Australia is starting to open up again, which is positive. All except Western Australia, where the X Class is. Typical! Hopefully soon though. We really want to make the crossleys come to life.

Cheers!

Fran 

Could be worse - could be New Zealand! Oz restrictions meant to be gone by March, whereas NZ are holding on till October

• Like 2

In all reality, a black "A", with or without yellow patch (some had them, but some didn't; not all would ever get them) is as essential to any 1960s layout as an ICR or a 201 are to a 2022 layout.

I'm sort of half considering getting another.............better get my act together, as there are few left.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Looking good!

Cheers!

Fran 

Will one of the DCC functions for the crossely decoder be the sound of the engine breaking down….

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

In all reality, a black "A", with or without yellow patch (some had them, but some didn't; not all would ever get them) is as essential to any 1960s layout as an ICR or a 201 are to a 2022 layout.

I'm sort of half considering getting another.............better get my act together, as there are few left.

So true John. I panicked last week and ordered A12 before they sell out. An option for a second A55 would be to renumber  it to one of the prototypes which had the CIE roundal and different placing of the numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, patrick said:

So true John. I panicked last week and ordered A12 before they sell out. An option for a second A55 would be to renumber  it to one of the prototypes which had the CIE roundal and different placing of the numbers.

I thought that very same thing too! Renumbering would probably be easiest by rubbing off the "2" in A12, or the second "5" of A55, and putting a "1" there - A11 or A51.

4 minutes ago, Garfield said:

.....................and colourful language from the driver!

• Funny 2

25 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

The Crossley's could've done with some of this! 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1YndLmbXQ

Nothing better than the real thing!

Nice "chuggy' sound. The WAGR seem to have overcome most of the problems BR and CIE experienced with their Metrovicks lasting in service with their Crossley engines until the late 1980s no clouds of filthy blue smoke!

• Like 1