First photos of Irish Railway Models' ballast wagon (pre-production)

Rate this topic

Garfield

Hi folks,

So, a parcel just arrived from China containing the first pre-production sample of our ballast wagon. There are still a few niggly bits to iron out but overall we're extremely happy with how it has turned out. Here are some photos:

2uhnv9k.jpg

w1a7ew.jpg

oaws4x.jpg

2h3ogie.jpg

1ekxlf.jpg

2ppvr.jpg

2h33kg0.jpg

2nu25p0.jpg

nbfcya.jpg

2ldumub.jpg

2d9en3r.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done lads a fantastic looking model-one of the finest I have seen-a credit to your work.

Looking forward to running them on Tara Junction.:tumbsup:

Hi guys,

Just in case you spotted them, the 'witness' marks ( the round indents) on the inside of the hopper will be removed at 2nd ep stage.

Cheers

Dave

Myself and Patrick took the wagon on a tour of the two Dublin Model Railway Clubs this evening to show the guys in the plastic. We received lots of positive feedback which makes it all so worthwhile. A big thank you to both clubs for their fantastic hospitality and thank you all for your orders and great feedback! :)

Looks very good fellas. Must put in another order so I have some of each pack!

I know you've said there's some niggly bits outstanding, and maybe this is one of them or maybe the camera angle is playing tricks, but to me the buffers look slightly out of proportion, almost too long or over extended?

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on these and the launch of the cements!

Thanks for all the feedback lads, and not to sound too cheesy, but it would not be possible without your support and orders.

We've seen a big flurry or orders coming in since we put the pics up, thank you so much for the support with your wallets.

Jimbo, The buffers are a bit wonky from the hand assembly to fit parts. They're scale though. If anything, a lot of the RTR buffers on other products are a bit 'weedy' when compared with the real thing. I know it's a big criticism British modellers have about their models. We have them nice a meaty and with the correct spacing. Also, you'd be amazed at the small size of the wagon itself. The buffers stand out a bit as a result!

Great bit of engineering there men

Not sure why it wasn't thought of before now, but it's the way forward for all IRM projects.

Shnip - to me the buffers look slightly out of proportion, almost too long or over extended?

Jamie, this one may be slightly contentious, but the buffers are the right size, and right spacing. When we got the initial CAD back they had applied UK standards to them, but were quickly corrected to Irish sizes and spacings. I did spend a day in the North Wall with Dave Jones, and trust me, they are absolutely bang on.

(I thought the same initially and checked, but who'd have thought irish buffers were 2 foot long - not me for a start!)

When you see it in the flesh though, it makes sense. It just looks "right" - fat, wide, chunky. Not at all like that Narra Gauge stuff from across the ditch!

R.

I'm sure you guys have done your homework and it will be spot on!!

Promoting the wagon like this, with the step by step tooling shots, the CAD drawing etc is a great approach. Hopefully you'll continue to do the same with future releases.

The smaller/newer plastic aircraft manufacturers such as AMK are taking the same approach and it seems to be working for them against the giants such as Tamiya (which they are taking head on with their F-14 as it happens).

Good work!

I'm sure you guys have done your homework and it will be spot on!!

Promoting the wagon like this, with the step by step tooling shots, the CAD drawing etc is a great approach. Hopefully you'll continue to do the same with future releases.

The smaller/newer plastic aircraft manufacturers such as AMK are taking the same approach and it seems to be working for them against the giants such as Tamiya (which they are taking head on with their F-14 as it happens).

Good work!

Thanks Jimbo and rest assured we will be keeping you all in the loop with future releases as the progress like we have with the ballast wagon. We see no need for secrets, though a surprise or two along the way is nice, right? :)

Jimbo, The buffers are a bit wonky from the hand assembly to fit parts. They're scale though. If anything, a lot of the RTR buffers on other products are a bit 'weedy' when compared with the real thing. I know it's a big criticism British modellers have about their models. We have them nice a meaty and with the correct spacing. Also, you'd be amazed at the small size of the wagon itself. The buffers stand out a bit as a result!

That's a big thing that I noticed that makes them look so much better. Alot of models seem to have undersized buffers and it takes from the final look so much. It's the white metal buffers on the SSM 42ft flat kit that really makes it for me.

Those buffers would look great on the MM Cravens.

Edited by Railer

The results of a lot of hard work in the research and development of this model is now producing fruit. The exacting detail showing on this pre-production sample is a credit to all involved and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.