IRM Steam Speculation

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Livery variations for the 800 class are basically two which apply to all three locos, but several other "wild  cards".

The GSR "blue-green" was replaced by standard CIE green (same as on pre-1955 carriages, road vehicles and buses) in 1945. In the same time, the GSR crest and "G S" gave way to the "snail". Name and number plates had a blue background as acurately seen on Maedb today.

However, about 1951/2, either 801 or 802 (I'd have to look it up) was repainted in a significantly lighter green, apparently like a half-way house between standard CIE green and the later shade which would be applied to co0aches and diesel locos after 1955. The OTHER two remained standard green.

During the 1950s, both 801 and 802 got a red background to their name and number plates, but 800 remained blue.

Thus, two livery variations for 800, and three for the other two - but different between them; one lighter green with red plates, the other standard green with red plates.

Regarding the "Cultra" livery, this is only me personally, but I strongly disapprove of models being produced in fictitious liveries, as it encourages a belief or assumption that they ran like that. In the same regard, for the same reason, I remain greatly disappointed by museums and preservation bodies who turn out preserved locos, coaches and wagons in incorrect, or lazily researched livery details. Cultra added the "G S" on 800; they SHOULD have added a "flying snail". If it's GSR livery they want, they need a totally different shade of green, and yellow / black lining, not black / white; plus, a GSR crest between the great big "G" and "S".

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, connollystn said:

My money is on IRM producing a model of the GSR 800 class locomotives, most people would want a few of those and ideal for anyone modeling the mid-50s.

Hornby (original company) business model was based on selling an Express passenger locomotive from each of the Big Four and a small entry level locomotive for those that could not afford a pacific or a 4-6-0.

LMS/LMR----Duchess, LNER/ER Streak (A4), SR/SR West Country and GW/WR Castle.

Irish list

GSR/CIE 800 Class

GNR/CIE/UTA  V/Vs Class

NCC/UTA   Mogul 

BCDR/UTA---Baltic Tank

SLNCR/UTA--Lough

Can't see myself buying any of these though I would probably be tempted by a Lough for use on my OO gauge shunting layout or a possible 21mm gauge conversion.😉

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Hornby (original company) business model was based on selling an Express passenger locomotive from each of the Big Four and a small entry level locomotive for those that could not afford a pacific or a 4-6-0.

Irish list

GSR/CIE 800 Class

GNR/CIE/UTA  V/Vs Class

NCC/UTA   Mogul 

BCDR/UTA---Baltic Tank

SLNCR/UTA--Lough

Can't see myself buying any of these though I would probably be tempted by a Lough for use on my OO gauge shunting layout or a possible 21mm gauge conversion.😉

Maybe something MGWR too.....

15 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Irish list

GSR/CIE 800 Class

GNR/CIE/UTA  V/Vs Class

NCC/UTA   Mogul 

BCDR/UTA---Baltic Tank

SLNCR/UTA--Lough

The 7:20 mixed would make a nice starter set in Hornby style - engine, carriage, wagon and brake van :) 

Companies falling over themselves to produce decidedly niche models at the moment it seems, exemplified by two different Titfield Thunderbolt models coming out soon, to say nothing of all the pioneer diesels and the revival of TT.

Might be a while before there is a Hibernia train set, but a John Wayne revival might result in a J15. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Maybe something MGWR too.....

Call this treason. But I think the J26 would be the only way to introduce MGWR to RTR (unless you count the MM k class) it ran all over the country even in wierd corners like the Waterford and tramore. would make an excellent shunting layout locomotive. I’d take one over Any G, E or D class anyway 

16 hours ago, Galteemore said:

The 7:20 mixed would make a nice starter set in Hornby style - engine, carriage, wagon and brake van :) 

Hornby already made an SLNC Open wagon…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gm171 kk said:

Not a steam man but these photos are very appealing. Surely it makes more sense to produce a model of something that is still running today. Like 461, 171, 85, 186 etc. 

I totally agree with gm171 kk, it makes total sense for a model of a steam locomotive which is still running. Think the 461 is ideal as it'd appeal more to us Dubs as it's a former DS&ER locomotive. My money is on either 461 or 171 being produced as IRM's first steam locomotive.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:31 PM, John-r said:

I did reply on Facebook, and while I would buy an 800 class, I would definitely buy at least two ncc jeeps to run with my outstandingly good rake of provincial wagons spoil wagons.

Regards John.

I'd be up for that too. While the "Jeeps" are neither fitting for my layout's fictitious location (in West Kerry), nor do they interest me as much as just about any other steam loco, I saw them in childhood almost every day - so I'll definitely be up for a couple.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Going through the Green Bible, we have:--

• pretty much all the 2-4-0, 2-4-2 and 4-4-2 tanks - no splashers, with drivers inside side tanks
  • J28 and J27- tiny Hunslets
  • The 4-8-0T
  • The Bandon 4-6-0T 2-4-0T and 4-4-0T
  • St Mologa
  • K1 2-6-0

And it is the same problem in the GNRI Blue Bible - four coupled tanks and that is it. Just so many splashers making re-gauging awkward.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

53 minutes ago, David Holman said:

• pretty much all the 2-4-0, 2-4-2 and 4-4-2 tanks - no splashers, with drivers inside side tanks
  • The 4-8-0T
  • St Mologa
  • K1 2-6-0

And it is the same problem in the GNRI Blue Bible - four coupled tanks and that is it. Just so many splashers making re-gauging awkward.

The Bandons 4-6-0 tanks would probably be the most realistic from an RTR perspective, quite famous, handsome, unique, built in decent numbers with some running right up toward the end of steam.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

59 minutes ago, David Holman said:

• The 4-8-0T
  • St Mologa
  • K1 2-6-0

I think a case might also be made for the Bazin "500" class 4-6-0s, as their splashers are but mere bumps in the footplate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

The Bandons 4-6-0 tanks would probably be the most realistic from an RTR perspective, quite famous, handsome, unique, built in decent numbers with some running right up toward the end of steam.

Only thing with them is that apart from the DSER suburban, Glanmire Road shunting, and West Cork, they were seen nowhere. Limited grazing grounds................

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

And it does not have the same grab as Maebh….but if you use rule 1. A Bandon would fit into most layouts. I’m theory they could run almost anywhere while maebh would have a much harder time fitting into any place. You could have them shunting, or working a goods train on a branchline. Or working a permanent way train…

They'll probably be 'A Bandon'-ed.......

Another taxi please........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

It’s not from halfway around the world…actually it is from Donegal 😁

oh ☺️

looks very like some of the odd stuff you find over here in NZ. I wasn't aware of the central buffer being used in Ireland. They are a huge pain in the ass IMO, and absolute pigs to work on over here (I'm in NZ). I've pulled two apart already and a third has to be done tomorrow, so overly complicated and with age turn into sold masses of rust 😅

11 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Ireland once had a number of 3ft narrow gauge lines - the central buffer was common.

Various types of central buffer are in use all over the world, and are actually in the majority. On narrow gauges - including NZ’s “Cape” gauge, plus the Irish narrow gauge, they g FG institute the vast, vast majority; 100% of Irish narrow gauge lines had central “chopper” couplings as above.

The loco shown was one of a pair, the second-strongest narrow gauge locos in Ireland.

46 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Various types of central buffer are in use all over the world, and are actually in the majority. On narrow gauges - including NZ’s “Cape” gauge, plus the Irish narrow gauge, they g FG institute the vast, vast majority; 100% of Irish narrow gauge lines had central “chopper” couplings as above.

The loco shown was one of a pair, the second-strongest narrow gauge locos in Ireland.

The three Cork ng lines, had to be different, and adopted a central link and pin coupler rather than the 'chopper' aka Norwegian coupler.

11 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

If its any help i've already built Tailte and have all the  bits to do Macha if i make a start on her now i can pretty well guarantee ,an 800 announcement within the week. Andy.

Might as well show us like 😉

My own 800 is currently sans chassis, off to the other island for final assembly.

Edited by GSR 800
  • Agree 1