LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

@jhb171achillis actually quite well known in some rather niche sporting circles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudu_dung-spitting

From that link:

"In 2015, a sheep dung-spitting competition was introduced to Northern Ireland's Lady of The Lake Festival in County Fermanagh."

That both raises questions and answers some outstanding ones... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Lima "Irish" models in different box's
Trying to determine early from late
Red box on the bottom is the earliest as it only has a 4 digit prefix, same as the HO Models, the 30 before the 4 numbers came later as did the W letter which stands for OO Gauge couplings
5 Plank wagon has plastic wheels, as do most of the wagons in any of the Lima "Irish" sets.
The 2 boxes above the red one have me flummoxed
Lima logo on the left seems to be a more common box, and on checking the Sundries box, which was a late production I find the logo is on the right similar to the second box
All 3 of these boxes have a cardboard inner
The top box which is a much smaller box has drawing of the wagon and  a blown plastic inner which makes me think it is possibly the latest box to be made.
3rd world lockdown problems!

P1130175.thumb.JPG.9565d652c2b4bffb088e8e5ba68bc371.JPG

Cardboard inner:
P1130177.thumb.JPG.25359926872e0b7b9bc66c5659269569.JPG

Plastic inner:
P1130174.thumb.JPG.25b0a9904a5a0c199a9a988be8b48549.JPG

And then the pictures disappeared from the boxes, man alive!!!

P1000981.JPG.e2efb2276471ef84333c2d2134fc9076.JPG

• 1 month later...

We'll all descend like vultures on Bray if we're still around. I suppose that auction should remind us that we should leave a note for our loved ones with the real value of all this stuff, just in case we are hit by a bus in the morning! If it ended up in an unsuitable offline auction it might fetch far far less than it's worth. I'm sure I'm not the only one that downplays the cost when a parcel comes through the door lol.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

We'll all descend like vultures on Bray if we're still around. I suppose that auction should remind us that we should leave a note for our loved ones with the real value of all this stuff, just in case we are hit by a bus in the morning! If it ended up in an unsuitable offline auction it might fetch far far less than it's worth. I'm sure I'm not the only one that downplays the cost when a parcel comes through the door lol.

I have a spread sheet done up, When you tally it up the Figures become a tad Scary.... I normally Leave the Receipt in the box too if I do pop me clogs  the Daughter has a keen eye on the stuff I have and what prices have been Realised!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

I have a spread sheet done up, When you tally it up the Figures become a tad Scary.... I normally Leave the Receipt in the box too if I do pop me clogs  the Daughter has a keen eye on the stuff I have and what prices have been Realised!

How old are you now, George?

I'm a patient man...

😂

49 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

few year to go yet kid. probably about 30 or so if I am lucky.

Thing is I met a few lads paragliding while up the mountains. love to have a bash at it.  10 locos sold off would have me right to give it a bash!

I see a load of them landing out the back here every day. Never been but it looks fabulous!

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Have a couple done myself Seoirse
All kinds of values on it, what I paid, what it might be worth and best price on Bay etc
The son was not interested in trains till he saw it.
First kid I ever saw looking at a layout with his calculator on his lap

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some old Hornby locos over the weekend
On checking them I found this inside one
Anyone ever see or use one, I have never seen one before
Airfix Locomotive Receiving Module

P1130406.thumb.JPG.e968c8665547a3626f63dfa470f5f7ef.JPG

P1130407.thumb.JPG.f1b3fc8840611262d66d1da6b305b3b6.JPG

Also picked up some Peco Flexi Track
Anyone remember the shop?
Postmark says 1975!

P1130403.thumb.JPG.7373d3266993bdd29988d56840ec4fc2.JPG

P1130404.thumb.JPG.076d8e97ad645a34d258f822c8d13353.JPG

Peco label on the track a tad different from the current label, when you can get it!

P1130405.thumb.JPG.0431833caf6a27a0322d0a6e5f3304ac.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I picked up some old Hornby locos over the weekend
On checking them I found this inside one
Anyone ever see or use one, I have never seen one before
Airfix Locomotive Receiving Module

P1130406.thumb.JPG.e968c8665547a3626f63dfa470f5f7ef.JPG

P1130407.thumb.JPG.f1b3fc8840611262d66d1da6b305b3b6.JPG

I haven't seen or used one, but it looks like a loco chip for the Airfix Multiple Train Control system, an early version of DCC from 40 years ago.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/MTC.htm

You could drive up to 4 trains (out of 16) at once.

I don't think they ever got very far with this MTC, I think they went bust only a couple of years after it was introduced, and I don't remember Mainline/Palitoy reintroducing it after they took Airfix over.

An interesting piece of model railway history, but unless you already have an Airfix MTC, not much use for anything.

Edited by Moxy
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

6 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Was once in W&H in 1994 visiting the London branch of the family. Bought two Bachmann coaches there out of the pocket money! 

No model shops in London now, save for Janes Trains in Tooting I believe. 

Sad isn't it, I Always would divert to Holborn when the missus messed about in Oxford Street or Hannants in Hendon . SFA there now

One in Northfields, Quick hop off the Tube in or out to LHR. Never knew it was there when I lived nearby as the Spinning wheel (Irish Pub) used to be about 4 doors up and I never got beyond it!

You might get a headache looking inside it though!

http://www.northfieldsmodelshop.co.uk/

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 3:14 PM, Moxy said:

I haven't seen or used one, but it looks like a loco chip for the Airfix Multiple Train Control system, an early version of DCC from 40 years ago.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/MTC.htm

You could drive up to 4 trains (out of 16) at once.

I don't think they ever got very far with this MTC, I think they went bust only a couple of years after it was introduced, and I don't remember Mainline/Palitoy reintroducing it after they took Airfix over.

An interesting piece of model railway history, but unless you already have an Airfix MTC, not much use for anything.

Thats it, a response to Hornbys Zero 1, both a little ahead of their time ultimately. Technology has caught up with Digital control now

• 2 weeks later...

Munster Simms appears to have been a fairly large oil distributor during the 1930s with both Belfast and Dublin registered wagon fleets.

A number of photos of Irish registered tank wagons in the HMRSI  Charles Roberts Collection.

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/munster-simms-belfast-motor-spirit-14t-tank-no-2-order-942.html.

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/munster-simms-dublin-14t-tank-wagon-no-4.html.

• Like 2

The Irish rail tankcars were supplied by builders in Great Britain before WW2, using same specifications apart from gauge, so I built my model from a British kit. This has a wheelbase of 10’6”. I got the details from an article in the HMRS Journal, volume 16, number 12, “Irish Petroleum Tank Wagons, which had pictures for the Munster Simms, McMullan Bros. of Belfast, BP, and Shell Mex.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Munster Simms had petrol stations, which I remember as a small child. There was one somewhere in Dublin but I have no clue where at this stage, and there was another somewhere between Dublin and Dundalk….. probably more.

There were Munster Simms pumps on the pavement in Donnybrook, if my memory serves me correctly!, These pumps (two?)were on the pavement at the left-hand side of the road, just before the road narrows as you head south; today according to Google Maps, a business "Electra" occupies the site.

Munster Simms, exists as a renowned manufacturer of pumps and is based in Bangor, Northern Ireland. Founded in 1810, as Timber merchants and Shipbrokers, they became agents for "Consolidated Petroleum Company" selling rock-light lamp oil on behalf of the Nobel and Rothschild dynasties.  In 1929 they entered a deal with McMullan Bros (Maxol) to sell them over a million gallons of petroleum. In 1930 McMullan Brothers purchased a fleet of ten and fourteen ton fuel tank wagons for distributing their fuel by rail throughout Ireland. Divisional offices and depots in Belfast, Londonderry, Cork and Dublin with a further nineteen depots in, Newtonards, Newry, Portadown, Ballymena, Portrush, Cookstown, Enniskillen, Strabane, Carlow, Limerick, Dunmanway, Clonmel, Macroom, Ballyshannon, Letterkenny, Kilkenny, Navan, Naas and Dundalk.

All one need is now is for a manufacturer to produce a MEX Tank Wagon for our Irish railway scene -  Please note - MEX was an independent brand in Ireland, distributed by and through McMullan Bros. 

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1