RTR Wagons - What next?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Looking at the demographics and the need for suitable wagons for those big diesels, the 42'9" & 47'6" flats should be a good all round seller, though special wagons like Ammonia tankers, bulk and bagged cement may be a better seller due to their distinctive appearance and more coloufull liveries.

Multiple packs would be a good idea as Liner Trains run in blocks rather than made up of individual wagons.

Like Rich I would like stock that is easily re-gaugable to 21mm gauge, this could be achieved by using a 28mm rather than the standard 26mm OO gauge axle.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richie

I considered this ages ago, when I first rebadged Dapol wagons - especially as I have loads of BR containers about the place. The problem is, none of them will go INSIDE the Dapol (or indeed Bachmann, if memory serves) opens - the sides of the opens are not to scale and so are too thick!

It would need a handmade open with thin sides - maybe one day.

Leslie

The Irish wagons may have been a bit wider has anyone tried a BR Container inside an SSM open http://studio-scale-models.com/img/k26.jpg ?

I have several but no containers

Please Mr. Murphy can I have Irish Wagons, Please Mr. Murphy lot's of Irish Wagons, Beet, Cement, Flat, Cattle, Hoppers, Please Mr. Murphy lot's of Irish Wagons, Please Mr. Murphy lot's of Irish Wagons, and in packs of 3, Please Mr. Murphy lot's of Irish Wagons, :praying:

Murphy Models are not involved in this proposed venture, Leslie McAlister is the man that will be producing the models.

Rich,

Rich, as long as someone ( Leslie McAlister / Murphy Models ) produces Irish wagons I don't mind who it is, just someone get on with it, :praying:

I agree, there is a huge vacuum at the moment in the hobby for a lot of freight vehicles. I hope the prayers work.

Rich,

Nice one Leslie,

wishing you well with your venture. If you can deliver models at those sort of accesible prices then I will definitly be purchasing a few. My vote would be for Container flats, especially as there quiet a nice range of intermodal 45', 40' and 20' containers on the market. But as yet, nothing reasonably priced to run them in an Irish context.

The Cement Bubbles would also make a great model, a truely unique railway model and ripe for a multi pack.

Both these in my opinion would make a great addition to all the Murphy Diesel Locos 121/141/071/201, plus cover a long cronological period from the 70s right up to modern day.

Tom

Guest hidden-agenda

Leslie would you consider a set of decals with different running numbers for the spoil wagon as this is a kit I would be interested in and it would be nice to have a different running number on each wagon?

I look forward to what ever you bring out and wish you every success.

Leslie would you consider a set of decals with different running numbers for the spoil wagon as this is a kit I would be interested in and it would be nice to have a different running number on each wagon?

I look forward to what ever you bring out and wish you every success.

This reply covers anything I do which is handmade.

I ALWAYS offer about 10 different running numbers, so trains can look right!

Thank you all for your replies. Time to close the thread and let me count up the popular items!

Now, guys, don't hold your breath - we get out about two new wagons a year - so the first of these may be ready for next year's Bangor exhibition - that is a year from now.

I would be interested in knowing how many of you would accept kits, providing they were easy to assemble? This reduces the time delay, as my modeller isn't tied up sticking things together, painting them and applying lettering!

Thanks

Leslie

Going to buck the trend, would prefer Ready To Run, fully ready-painted models, despite the extra cost.

On two points, am useless with my hands where kit building is involved and really don't have too much spare time for the building and painting.

kits are a false economy tooling, manufacturing labour and transport costs are almost the same as ready to run models, then you have to pay for glue, paint, transfers, bearings, sometimes wheelsets tools such as micro drills, air brushes blades and handles.

Then you could make a total mess of it and have to start again that equals expensive and or disappointment.

So let someone do the hard work for you.

The 1st question is how much are you prepared to pay for a ready to run model of say a Tara or cement bubble ?

The 2nd questions how many are you willing to buy ?

I think having the choice of both would be the best way to go as I the thought of assembling a kit can be terrifying to some modellers!

But I do agree that the kits can be just as costly as RTR when you factor everything in, price permitting I would be happy to go the RTR route.

Ah, but will you ever love an RTR as much as you do a kit where you remember every loving and painstaking detail that goes into it?

As I've stated before, I still treasure my scratchbuilt MK2 EGV everybit as much as my Murphy's RTR.

However, when it comes to a rake of 15-20, ok, a few RTRs would make it easier allright...