A closer look at our A Classes!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Railer, Barry Carse did a book on the A and C classes, publisehed by Colourpoint, some time ago. Try:

You might be lucky. Otherwise try Amazon. There was also an article in the IRRS Journal about the re-engining programme. Again thiswas quite a few years ago. If I can turn up the exact Journal No. / date I'll post it here.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

@RailerA copy of Carse's book is essential reading so to speak. Copy the ISBN and occasionally stick it into google. Amazon can occasionally be a good source but I have sometimes found Book Depository or more likely Abebooks to be a better source. You can create a 'Want' if they don't have what you're after. I misplaced my copy of Locomotives of the GSR (acquired on eBay at a very reasonable cost, well, I thought so anyway) and it had been driving me demented. Best offerings were at $965 or some such price on Amazon. Placed a 'Want' on Abebooks and was lucky to get an email within a week for an excellent copy for $40 including tax (no idea why I had to pay that but very acceptable under the circumstances). Winging its way from the UK. Botts booksellers has a lot of old transport material but they like to charge a bit over the odds in some circumstances but nothing like that referred to above.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Noel said:

Hi Guys, will A classes be available at the show this weekend, or will painted production samples be on display?

Latest update here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/blogs/announcements/a-first-look-at-the-a-class

It’s worth signing up to our newsletter and reading our news section for the latest news, though we do share it here too.

We will have a firm delivery date confirmed once all snags and testing is complete. Last thing we want to do is put a substandard loco on the market.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi there,

We’re looking at March 2020!

Cheers!

Fran

The New Year or March is being 'mentioned' as a possibility for the 121 Clas also. Combined shipping from China?😁 

To be fair, there will probably be more cash available by then when the pay checks and CCs have recovered form the Christmas splurge

Edited by DiveController

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Edo said:

40% of the production run on order already .........according to the advert in RM - fair play - ye must be delighted.

So - whats the most popular livery so far?....is the filter on the website correct?

We are indeed! Yes, the filter is correct.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

We are indeed! Yes, the filter is correct.

Cheers!

Fran

Great stuff

Yeh - nothing says 70's like a supertrain A hauling a rake of ferts!....not surprised they are near the top so far.

Delighted its working out so far - bringing out 17 versions was a serious financial gamble - much appreciated by us 60's heads modeling that earlier era - i hope when folks see how well they look that the blacks and greens will be snapped up in due course........

So ....when the C Class due😃....kidding....Im kidding!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edo said:

Great stuff

Yeh - nothing says 70's like a supertrain A hauling a rake of ferts!....not surprised they are near the top so far.

Delighted its working out so far - bringing out 17 versions was a serious financial gamble - much appreciated by us 60's heads modeling that earlier era - i hope when folks see how well they look that the blacks and greens will be snapped up in due course........

So ....when the C Class due😃....kidding....Im kidding!!

think we were all amazed at 17 locos if the c is next it would be a little less as cant remember any in ir livery but we do have the 2 nir liveries

• Like 1

Apart from Dublin suburban passenger services the 201 regularly worked Platin-Dublin bulk Cement trains in the late 70s & 80. 

In additional to push-pull work 201 hauled suburban passenger working included hauling trains of conventional hauled stock  Howth-Bray-Greystones &  Connolly-Maynooth peak hour services in addition to Connolly-Drogheda outer suburban services. I am not sure if the 201s worked the Connolly-Wicklow-Arklow trains. Outer suburban trains during this period were generally made up of Park Royal & Laminate stock with BSGV converted from Bredin stock, rush hour trains tended to be made up of older coaches dating from the early 1950s.

Before taking up Dublin suburban passenger B201 Class regularly worked main line passenger trains on the Dublin-Cork/Tralee/Limerick and Connolly- Galway/ Sligo services including 6-7 cars sets of Supertrain stock on the 13;30 Heuston-Cork and 17:30 return.

As John says the C class were re-engined, as such got a new lease of lease of life, redesignated B class when their 550hp engine were replaced with 1100hp (iirc). 

Several of the C class were sold to NIR as the 104 class although they were not really used to their capacity by NIR.

I love the As and I'm glad for once that the silver, greens , black and BnT might be selling a little more slowly as this is my main interest and allows a little more time to gather the cash for these together. I do hope they will not be sold out on arrival and there will be enough ti hang round for a reasonable period of time so modellers can accumulate what stock they'd really like over a bit of time and potential new modelers might see them in the flesh for sale.

Personally I hope that C class are not next to come as they were far fewer than the As and looked similar to them. I'd prefer to see some variety, railcars or locos lasting fairly late in steam to provide some appeal to the masses. I even had some post-1923 grouping coaches and steam and they remain quite popular in the UK because the models merely had been available, something which has never really been possible with Irish rolling stock.

Edited by DiveController
hp corrected
  • Like 3

I too really like the re-engined  C class. Perfect for 1960s branch traffic, light goods trains and pushing converted AEC sets on suburban (pre dart). MM 141 are the perfect donar chassis for kits. Hopefully at some appropriate future point in time IRM might produce C class (original 201) and/or sulzers (101).

IMG_2201.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Edo said:

i hope when folks see how well they look that the blacks and greens will be snapped up in due course........

Have to say I was and still am seriously tempted by the Green and Black samples they had at Blackrock...

Edited by DoctorPan
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I thought I'd take a shpin this morning in my time machine, and I ended up at Bray Head in 1955 (got a train out from Harcourt St).

I was hoping to see a DSER tank engine on a local, but I hear this strange rumbling sound, and this thing comes into view. I think it's one of the new diesels. Can't see them catching on, though.

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

• Like 14
  • WOW! 2

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:48 PM, mphoey said:

think we were all amazed at 17 locos if the c is next it would be a little less as cant remember any in ir livery but we do have the 2 nir liveries

So, you've silver (1958-63); black (with or without yellow patch, and some livery variations like ONE with a yellow buffer beam, and one with an orange one); black with high tan band, black with low tan band (AFTER re-engining), and finally "supertrain". None lived long enough to get the "tippex" white lines, although I fancy that it would have looked well.

And of course, the five that got NIR blue (one of NIR's was never repainted), and the sole one that only on 1st April had Donegal red.............

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:04 PM, Irishrailwayman said:

The 201s only got to Supertrain livery and spent their final days hauling ancient AEC stock on the then soon-to-be DART lines and to/from Maynooth asfaik.

Yes, and also line-ups of all sorts of old wooden-framed stuff. The last run I had in a set like this was a loco-hauled local from Dundalk en route to the RPSI May Tour - I think it was May 1986, but it might have been '85. A 201 (or "C" as it will always be to me!) had four or five old laminates behind it plus a BR van. No two were alike, and one was particularly shabby.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I thought I'd take a shpin this morning in my time machine, and I ended up at Bray Head in 1955 (got a train out from Harcourt St).

I was hoping to see a DSER tank engine on a local, but I hear this strange rumbling sound, and this thing comes into view. I think it's one of the new diesels. Can't see them catching on, though.

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

@jhb171achill can I ask what that layout is? Nothing short of spectacular in the scenics department.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

Looks stunning

is it owned by Malahide ,privately owned or just an example from IRM. Even without coaches it looks amazing. They should get a A in orange pulling some mk 2s.

MM

Edited by Midland Man
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1