eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Interesting thread, Glenderg. I knew there were TPO's but have never really seen many pictures of them. Not sure that the model on eBay looks much like this, sprayed green with the flying snail stuck instead of a P&T. Seems like the catchers were not a big feature on the Irish TPOs. I wonder if they stop took most of the main stations to let passengers on and off and collected that way instead of by catcher on an express, even though I know would've been all sorted en route. I wonder if anyone on the site has modeled some more authentic versions of the Irish TPOs?

Most of the larger Irish companies had TPOs with South Eastern, Midland, GSWR & Great Northern vans including some 6 wheelers in service until the new CIE vans appeared in the late 50s.

The Hornby model would makes a passable CIE van. In later years the POs ran mainly on the Cork & Galway mail trains. The Galway Day Mail was usually a mixed rake of TPOs, Parcel Vans & MK2D Supertrain coaches, the Night Mails BR Van, TPO, Parcel Vans with a tail of container wagons for mail and Liner traffic.

.... the Night Mails BR Van, TPO, Parcel Vans with a tail of container wagons for mail and Liner traffic.

When the liner traffic was added to the Galway Night Mail trains the flat wagons used were air braked and these wagons were always at the rear of the train. The GSVs, TPOs and Parcel Vans used on these services were fitted with through air brake pipes to connect the locomotive's air brakes to those on the wagons. Thus when operating in this manner part of the train was vacuum braked and the remainder was air braked. The modified GSVs, TPOs and Parcel Vans received the suffix T.L.A. [Train Line Air (piped)] as shown in Glenderg's photo of 2979 above. The photo also shows the air pipe running along the solebar of the TPO.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/230937391836?nav=SEARCH

on that same page. at first glance i thought this was a c class

Well spotted this Italian loco was basically the standard for a C Class rtr conversion before the repainted Lima 33s arrived on the scene in the late 70s.

The Rivarossi HO & N versions had better motor bogies than the Lima locos.

Just remember you need to pay postage from the US plus import duty when it arrives. The transformer is probably 110V. The others on eBay are ridiculously priced however which is why they haven't sold. They've been up there for months.

EDIT: Just had a chance to read this. If any of you want to bid on this, the quoted post if for US GROUND. You will need Intl. AIRMAIL which is more expensive FROM the USA then in the reverse direction. This is an outsize item, so to avoid coronary occlusion you should get a shipping qoute from the seller BEFORE you bid, not after as suggested by the seller!!

Edited by DiveController

• 3 weeks later...

That MR NCC "wagon plate" looks dodgy. It looks like brass, judging by the colour.

IMPORTANT - Collectors, beware.

These plates were cast iron, and would have polished to a goldeny colour. If it is painted that way, it looks 100%. If, when polished, the bare metal really is yellowy, it's a dud - albeit a very convincing one.

The going rate in enthusiast railwayana markets for such things is £50-£60 / €60-€75. Even if genuine, on price alone I'd avoid that one like the plague.

Good find Sean

I keep an eye on these items from time to time

I think this dude has got his figures mixed up

Some recent MRNCC Wagon plate prices achieved:

[TABLE=width: 366]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl22, width: 366]MRNCC'163' SRA293 £40,

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 366]MRNCC '7' SRA398 £50[TABLE=width: 366]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 366]MRNCC wagonplate MKA598 £36, [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 366]MRNCC '338' probably repainted GCR906 £20

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 366]'M.R.N.C.C. 338', 32x18cm, rectangle, curved corners & decorative serif characters, letters etc probably repainted GCR907 £20,

MRNCC 1044 rectangular cast iron, totally unrestored, GWR1113 £50

This one however caught my eye:

[TR]

[TD=class: xl24, width: 366]'UTA 2686', Rectangular with rounded corners, 35x18cm in ex-vehicle condition a little metal missing from one rim SRA309 £180,[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]