Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

Which ESU V5 Loksound chip is appropriate fro the 121 and 141?

I was looking at this ....

ESU 58419 LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4 21MTC NEM660 LSP 11x15mm

Just be careful when ordering, there's another decoder - 58449. This appears to have exactly the same specs but may not operate the lights correctly on the 121.

This is to do with how the circuit board in the 121 is designed.

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Just be careful when ordering, there's another decoder - 58449. This appears to have exactly the same specs but may not operate the lights correctly on the 121.

This is to do with how the circuit board in the 121 is designed.

Yes the MKL version (58449). Been there got that badge, :) but sorted by swapping with a 58419 for one of my MM 121s.

• Like 1

The attention to detail on 124 and 134 is a new level. There are slight livery differences on both locos which has been captured on the models. The orange paint on the protoype 124 is present on the area to the sides of the steps on the cabside. it is correctly black on 134. The horn is the same colour as the headlight housing on 134 and on 124 it is orange. if this had not been the case on the models amd was pointed out the person or persons pointing it out would no doubt have been labelled rivet counters. If that is the case then PM must be the Godfather of rivet counters so I bow to Don Murphy and pledge my allegiance to him and all rivet counters. I also include the IRM gang in the rivet counter family.

Rich,

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Don't forget to add postage and customs duty.

Which you'd also pay on the full price one.

Interesting that the grey 121's seem to be hanging around more than others.

I see Hattons have quite a lot of second-hand 121's on sale these past few months. I wonder if they are units that were damaged in transit and returned to them, as I can't imagine anybody parting with a 121 willingly.

Edit: I see that Hattons have added SIX damaged 121's for sale today alone.

Edited by DJ Dangerous

9 hours ago, connollystn said:

Don't forget to add postage and customs duty.

What duty?

VAT ya mean and that will get taken off the price in the UK, get it to come in with  Royal Mail and a good chance you will get a nice cheap 121 if it sneaks past the Vat man

those Dodgy ones and a bit much really, 10'r less then a new one.

Edited by Georgeconna

I don’t think the QC on the 121’s is any worse than any other modern detailed locomotive. . I have 7 and the only problem I have had is delivery with the cab end vacuum pipe broken on 3, which obviously occurred due to the packaging. 

I would say that I found product support for replacement parts for the broken parts to be nonexistent. Contact with Murphy and I received an email to say that they don’t deal directly with the purchaser, see your retailer.  The retailer couldn’t get any spares either. Disappointing. 

Another area that could be improved is the internal packaging.  I don’t think the foam cradle idea worked particularly well on this occasion. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I don’t think the QC on the 121’s is any worse than any other modern detailed locomotive. . I have 7 and the only problem I have had is delivery with the cab end vacuum pipe broken on 3, which obviously occurred due to the packaging. 

I would say that I found product support for replacement parts for the broken parts to be nonexistent. Contact with Murphy and I received an email to say that they don’t deal directly with the purchaser, see your retailer.  The retailer couldn’t get any spares either. Disappointing. 

Another area that could be improved is the internal packaging.  I don’t think the foam cradle idea worked particularly well on this occasion. 

I suspect that most of the issues suffered by 121's come from a combination of poor packaging design this time around, ie the foam cradle, and the pressure that postal services and couriers around the globe were under during the first "Pandemic Christmas" last year. I forget the actual figures but it was something like three times the volume of parcels sent relative to previous years, with only half the staff working.

Parcels were being drop-kicked around the planet, and no loco was going to survive every bounce, specially such a highly detailed one as the 121.

I had hoped to hear an announcement by now on spares for them, though, agree wholeheartedly there. From buying my own and from reading accounts online, I'd guess that about a third of the models released need replacement vaccum hoses, hand-rails or both.

• Like 2

"I had hoped to hear an announcement by now on spares for them"

That's the worry I have with the Irish Locos, Not really much of a Back up, Same for the other smaller runs like rails, Hattons etc and I have a good few now. When the model goes tits up where are you gonna get the spare to keep it running! lots of Shed Queens I reckon.

5 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Who was your retailer, Hattons?
Spare parts are available as I have picked up some recently
If you buy a Bachmann loco you send it back to your retailer not Bachmann

29 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Who was your retailer, Hattons?
Spare parts are available as I have picked up some recently
If you buy a Bachmann loco you send it back to your retailer not Bachmann

Yes Hattons as they are my local stockists, although I have had the same problem with 121’s from Rails. 

It was only 5 cab end vacuum pipes I required. 

In Hattons defence their product support for the class 66’s I own has been excellent. 

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 2

And Hattons are registered for Irish VAT so that means painless deliveries (and no extra processing fees) and painless returns if you have a problem. With anyone else you're going to have to claim your VAT back from the courier who paid it if your return something. 

I'm not aware of any other UK supplier providing this (apart from Amazon which wouldn't be my first stop for railway models). Does anyone know of anyone else?

eBay purchases from the UK are a  total disaster post Brexit. Don't get me going ....

I've had 3-4 deliveries from them since Brexit without any problems. Effectively no different from the pre-Brexit experience with them which has been a relief.

I had a double VAT hit with Hornby but got them to refund me the UK VAT which they shouldn't have charged me with in the first place.

• Informative 1