Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

A  question. Do you guys like the MM way of describing the front of the loco as the cab end? I know they were driven cab first for most of their lives but inside the cab as far as the driver at the controls was concerned that was still "in reverse", right?

Personally I have always regarded the 121 cab end as front and set up my decoder direction that way. Driver sits facing forward on LHS beside the side window with the controls on his RH.  I was always slightly mystified why there was such driver resistance to driving bonnet first when these GMs were first introduced given that steam locos had been driver boiler and smoke box first with poor visibility due to cab at the rear. The visibility from 121 Cabs facing bonnet direction was much better than a steam loco (ie four windows), no need to stick head sideways out of cab opening. Perhaps it was an IR exploit at the time? Visually bonnet seems sort of the front.

Edited by Noel
duplication + lexdysia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

...... email us with your order number to support@irishrailwaymodels.com and we will sort out any issues with the loco for you,

Thanks,

Fran 

One of the things I’ve always been highly impressed with - excellent backup and customer service with IRM.

Maybe banks and insurance companies could copy this, please?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

124 has arrived here - despite the bank wondering why I should be buying such a frivolous item and holding the payment for a while - all sorted now, I hope.

I've only looked into the box so far - and found it to be a bit bigger than I was expecting, although I've never seen one in real life - the 'single-ended' style being more of a 'little engine' thing in my head, I suppose.

I've never been much of a fan of unboxing videos, but I think I'll investigate before trying to get it out...

• Like 1

Just received the first of my IR 121's in the post. As with others, the box had lovely "Fragile" tape but looked like an elephant had sat on it.

No void-fill (ugh, sounds like something you'd buy in a sex shop) so the locos had probably bounced around a little.

Opened one of them, and it was sitting back at about 30 degrees inside it's packaging. One handrail loose, popped it back in place in a few seconds, no problem.

I Just have to say, the loco models up until this point have been amazing, but this is something else. The decals, the see-through grilles, the tiny vents, the rivets, it's just mind-boggling how good it is.

I have bought the grey ones, but they don't show the detail as well as this livery. This is just awesome.

Fair play to Paddy Murphy. This is outstanding.

2020-12-09 17.57.34.jpg

Edited by DJ Dangerous
Added Photo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Just received the first of my IR 121's in the post. As with others, the box had lovely "Fragile" tape but looked like an elephant had sat on it.

No void-fill (ugh, sounds like something you'd buy in a sex shop) so the locos had probably bounced around a little.

Opened one of them, and it was sitting back at about 30 degrees inside it's packaging. One handrail loose, popped it back in place in a few seconds, no problem.

If it's of any interest, this is mine after I disembowelled the box this morning.

Totally pristine - wrapped in about twelve feet of bubble wrap.

DSC_0831.thumb.JPG.1fb0668bf7205d4c2633eed729284624.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

124 and 134 were delivered today. Excellently packaged and the chap that delivered the package knocked and waited until the door was opened. 

They will be wrapped for the 25th. I got them from Mark's and there was a thank you note with a discount code for a purchase in the new year.

I paid for mine in June and didn't mind them being held back until the paint issue was sorted. 

Rich,

• Like 5

IR 127 arrived today. Borderline modern era for me but this livery really pops on the GM 121 class and looks great.  Put the Murphy Model supplied EMD 645 ESU LokSound decoder in it but struggled to understand some of the sound instructions and functions here: http://www.murphymodels.com/Class_121_DCC_Information.docx

I could not for the life of me find out which function or how to switch the head light on/off while the running lights remained on. It seems the two running lights and head lamp are programmed to operated together as a unit like the earlier 141/181s (ie all three on or off). I know the head lamp is wired separately to a separate aux function than the running lights so it should be possible if the decoder was programmed to facilitate same.  Gorgeous model. The speaker is working but is suffering very slight distortion. I've reduced the master volume CV63=60 which may save it from failing completely. No problems with hand rails or grab rails, all 100% in tact and in position as are both vacuum pipes. One needs to be careful unpacking not to knock the front cab end horn off when removing the padded box insert from on top of the loco. Beautiful precision runner. Will spend some running time tomorrow trying to find if there are any hidden 'full throttle features' (eg coasting, braking, train loads, etc). So far I haven't found any, it seems to have similar driving controls to the 071 and 201 projects which were also done by ESU for MM. Super sharp paint job. The tippex stripes are so well done. I do prefer the look of IR points logo over the later IE 3 pin plug logo. When I get the sound sorted out I will give this a very gentle weathering just to tame the orange down a little. Have kadees to fit as well. Happy days, thrilled to have one of these post CIE era models and looking forward to consisting with 143 or 156 hauling a rake of cravens and park royals, a mk2d set.

IMG_8709.thumb.jpeg.27afacb3ae7967fcb03f9edf59ffcf63.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Noel said:

IR 127 arrived today. Borderline modern era for me but this livery really pops on the GM 121 class and looks great.  Put the Murphy Model supplied EMD 645 ESU LokSound decoder in it but struggled to understand some of the sound instructions and functions here: http://www.murphymodels.com/Class_121_DCC_Information.docx

I could not for the life of me find out which function or how to switch the head light on/off while the running lights remained on. It seems the two running lights and head lamp are programmed to operated together as a unit like the earlier 141/181s (ie all three on or off). I know the head lamp is wired separately to a separate aux function than the running lights so it should be possible if the decoder was programmed to facilitate same.  Gorgeous model. The speaker is working but is suffering very slight distortion. I've reduced the master volume CV63=60 which may save it from failing completely. No problems with hand rails or grab rails, all 100% in tact and in position as are both vacuum pipes. One needs to be careful unpacking not to knock the front cab end horn off when removing the padded box insert from on top of the loco. Beautiful precision runner. Will spend some running time tomorrow trying to find if there are any hidden 'full throttle features' (eg coasting, braking, train loads, etc). So far I haven't found any, it seems to have similar driving controls to the 071 and 201 projects which were also done by ESU for MM. Super sharp paint job. The tippex stripes are so well done. I do prefer the look of IR points logo over the later IE 3 pin plug logo. When I get the sound sorted out I will give this a very gentle weathering just to tame the orange down a little. Have kadees to fit as well. Happy days, thrilled to have one of these post CIE era models and looking forward to consisting with 143 or 156 hauling a rake of cravens and park royals, a mk2d set.

Noel,

Looking at the settings for the decoder in the Lokprogrammer software it seems that the marker lights are programmed to only work when the headlights are on. It's a little weird to be honest and there's an easier way to do it which results in the lights being able to be controlled individually like the 071/201 locos.

Also, there are no drive hold, braking or load settings activated on this decoder. Coasting is assigned to F15.

It's true that the decoder is lacking feature-wise but to be honest it's a minor quibble for me. DCC sound is not Paddy Murphy's area of expertise, ESU dropped the ball on this one. This decoder seems set up to suit European modellers, teh US guys are much more interested in prototypical operating and the FullThrottle features were developed by the US end of the ESU operation.

The good news is that the Full Throttle features are easily set up with the Lokprogrammer. They no longer need to be built in to the sound file as they are now intrinsic to the V5 decoder.

• Informative 1

@Noel

If you're feeling brave you can try the following CV changes. If I'm right this shouldgive you independent control of the marker lights on F3 and F4. If it does'nt work then simple reset the decoder.

Remember to change the CV's in the EXACT order listed below and do it on a seperate programming track if possible.

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 3
----------------------
CV258 =   0

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV257 =   1

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 3
----------------------
CV274 =   0

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV273 =   2

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 3
----------------------
CV353 =   4

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV353 =  16

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 3
----------------------
CV369 =   8

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV369 =  32

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 3

Has any one got any idea when the IE & Super train livered 121’s will reach the UK model shops.

Have had a per order for these locomotives for 20 months

Order Date: 17/04/2019

As most of the other livered 121’s were in the UK shops just a day or so after going on sale in Ireland.

Thanks for any reply.

Kahier Model Railway.

5 minutes ago, Kahier model railway said:

Has any one got any idea when the IE & Super train livered 121’s will reach the UK model shops.

Have had a per order for these locomotives for 20 months

Order Date: 17/04/2019

As most of the other livered 121’s were in the UK shops just a day or so after going on sale in Ireland.

Thanks for any reply.

Kahier Model Railway.

Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and DC Kits should have them in stock by now.

Just to say my locos came packed very securely and without a hint of rough handling. Half a mile of bubble wrap helped ensure this! Well done to the folks at IRM for the prompt delivery even at this very busy time.

Like has been said the locos are bloody stunning, you really need to get them in your hands to appreciate the level of detail. No photos I'm afraid, as I won't really get the chance to give them a good run-in until the weekend.

Popped in the MM sound decoders (super easy thanks to the clever design) and happy to report no speaker issues whatsover. But bloody hell they're loud! I'd urge other modellers to lower the overall volume as it would be quite easy to drive the small sugar cube speakers too hard and damage them.

One thing I will say, and this isn't criticism, is that while I appreciate the job PM did fitting everything under the hood I think he made life very difficult for himself by insisting on the see through body grills. Don't get me wrong they look very impressive but they would'nt be a deal breaker for me. I just think that space could have been used to install a larger, more robust speaker set up. 

Anyway,  first world problems indeed. They're a crowning achievment for Paddy Murphy and Irish RTR in general.

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and DC Kits should have them in stock by now.

Hattons don't anyway. I have the three IE ones on pre-order there and the IR pre-orders went straight through the system as soon as they were added I reckon. The IE ones are still showing as pre-order on their website. Of course the pallet may have arrived and not been broken down yet. I expect Hattons have a lot of stock coming in so close to xmas.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 12:34 AM, Noel said:

Driver sits facing forward on LHS beside the side window with the controls on his RH.  I was always slightly mystified why there was such driver resistance to driving bonnet first when these GMs were first introduced given that steam locos had been driver boiler and smoke box first with poor visibility due to cab at the rear. The visibility from 121 Cabs facing bonnet direction was much better than a steam loco (ie four windows), no need to stick head sideways out of cab opening. Perhaps it was an IR exploit at the time? Visually bonnet seems sort of the front.

The instruction to operate the B121 Class cab first and the cutting of louvers in the cab doors arose as a result of an incident involving a p.w. trolley at Straffan shortly after the class were introduced.

Restricted visibility running long hood first and an insulated cab contributed to the incident, the driver apparently did not hear the detonators the p.w. gang had placed on the line exploding when the train entered the possession.

Apparently drivers really liked the  comfortable sound insulated cab with American AAR style control stands when the locos were first introduced, some apparently preferred to run long hood first and for a short while ran their locos accordingly.

Drivers were less happy about the drafts and increased noise levels after the levers were cut in the doors.

• Informative 3

11 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Apparently drivers really liked the  comfortable sound insulated cab with American AAR style control stands when the locos were first introduced, 

That's really interesting. I'd also heard reports that many drivers did not like the controls and the unusual (to them) seating position in the loco.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:23 PM, Liam_Murph said:

No packaging inside the box. Unfortunately this was bought from the lads at IRM which I wouldn't have expected

Picked 3 IE Jobbies in Marks Yesterday, Great to see a few of the mates in there and to have a chat with them for a short while.

Also An Oxford Rolller and Tar Cart was nabbed, Sucker for anything with a Chimney!

• Like 1

I purchased 134 in IE and 131 in B&T on Wednesday in Marks. Have to say both of these liveries make them look even more stunning than the yellow and grey, can't wait to be able to run them.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a head on (cab face) picture of 125 or 131? I'm not sure if the printing is slightly skewed on mine or my eyes are gone wonky from the lack of sleep a 2-week old baby brings with it!😂 

• Like 2

The boxes have the IE, IR, CIE, logos on the boxes depending on which locos you buy. I haven't seen the as delivered boxes yet and naturally assume they have the Flying Snail logo. It adds an extra bit of class to the whole package to make an already premium model that bit more special.

Rich,

ooooooh, They are Snapped off...Glue of Superness is your fix there, Small bit on a cocktail stick should do it....

On 9/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

I Just have to say, the loco models up until this point have been amazing, but this is something else. The decals, the see-through grilles, the tiny vents, the rivets, it's just mind-boggling how good it is.

I have bought the grey ones, but they don't show the detail as well as this livery. This is just awesome.

Fair play to Paddy Murphy. This is outstanding.

2020-12-09 17.57.34.jpg

Well Wear Kid! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ganderino said:

Hey, how do you go about getting spare parts for these? Ive noticed on 4 i have received the front vacuum hose is broken off, thanks for your help

Yeah 4 of the 6 I have received so far have broken vacuum hoses. Are these actually available yet as spare parts and if so, has anyone received and fitted any?   

• Like 1