Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Does anyone @WRENNEIRE cough cough know when Hattons of Liverpool will be getting their allocations of IR units? I pre-ordered with them months and months ago and feel bad cancelling even though Brexit is drawing nearer and nearer and I don't much fancy my models spending weeks in a customs warehouse in January. If they don't have them soon I expect my shipment will not make it back out of the UK and over to me in Germany before the end of the year, what with Christmas and Covid slowing the post right down.

I'm in the same boat but not worried. If IRM only got their allocation on Friday so I'd expect it will take till this week for them to arrive in Liverpool. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iarnrod said:

Any photos of the Supertrain versions yet? Does anyone know if these come with or without tablet catchers?

Supertrain are with the IEs, due late December.

This is B&T and IR.

I got 127 today, it got displaced in the box despite the packaging. It took me an hour to get one of the walkway side guards back one. Very challenging compared to the 141s.

It a very detailed and very very delicate model. I intend to pick up the rest of my 121s in person when I can due to the way this one arrived inside it's packaging despite no damage to the box.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Railer said:

Supertrain are with the IEs, due late December.

This is B&T and IR.

I got 127 today, it got displaced in the box despite the packaging. It took me an hour to get one of the walkway side guards back one. Very challenging compared to the 141s.

It a very detailed and very very delicate model. I intend to pick up the rest of my 121s in person when I can due to the way this one arrived inside it's packaging despite no damage to the box.

I had a similar experience, the 121 model box was put inside a larger packaging box with only a sheet of brown paper wrapped around it but no bubble wrap nor padding, so the model box could move freely and bang about inside the larger box, and all the hand and grab rails had fallen off probably due to shock during shipping. Fortunately it was easy to get them all back on using a tweezers unlike the 141s which were pigs to get walkway handrails off and/or on. Bubble wrap should have been used to prevent the model box from movement and to protect the whole thing from shock (eg parcel getting dropped or chucked into a landing space).

• Like 3

In fairness my pack was wrapped in bubble wrap tightly yet my 121 was dislodged within its foam casing. It was titled back about 30 degrees and this caused the walkway handrail on that side to pop off. 

Of note, be careful putting the the top foam cover back on, even though I was careful it removed the front horn as the foam very gentle rubbed past it. It just slid back in position thankfully.

• Like 2

I received 125 this morning from IRM and it was alarmingly poorly packaged - same as above - loose in an overly large box with just some crumpled brown paper. Not really good enough for an 190 euro model in my opinion so after I check the model this evening I'll be getting back to IRM in the morning. Everything else I've got from IRM has been well packed so this is disappointing to see for a valuable loco like this. 

• Like 1

When i received mine one of the handrails had popped out but was an easily put back in place. I think the packaging of the 121 by murphy models is a great improvement when compared to the 201 or 071s but like has been mentioned already the packaging for shipping could be better. 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 6:43 PM, fishplate7 said:

Well when you have the brand new MM 121's, then there going to need a crew to operate them and keep them in tip top working order! Enter Glenderg Models who gave me a sneak preview this evening of some prototypes figures he is working on!! They look absolutely fantastic! I suspect there's a Ken Fox, a Lar Griffin, maybe even a Noel Enright in the production line, with more surprises to come! Looking forward to their release! And  yes, I have Richie's blessing to post them!

P1040959.JPG

P1040962.JPG

P1040968 (2).JPG

P1040967 (2).JPG

That’s a fantastic idea. I think many of us have perused figurines by Bachmann and others looking for ‘prototypic’ CIE crews. Could do with passengers for trackside and coaches from some different eras from 60s onward too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

In my parish we dont mention Hattons Murph, selling below RRP of a brand new model is not cricket as the Brexiteers say
Not aware of their work practice but I know that the models have been shipped to them.

The RRP is are ‘recommended ‘ in a lot of cases it’s an aspirational price if Hattons choose to sell at a different price that is there business decision , if the manufacturer is not happy with a particular retailer selling at a particular price it’s the manufacturers choice to restrict supply to that retailer by reducing the discount the retailer receives or by ceasing to supply them altogether ,  like any  big retailer they have large overheads and with their continued success would indicate that they know their market best and like any large retailer it’s survival of the fittest in a tough market . In a vibrant market there will be many different businesses offering different prices that can only be good for the consumers and manufacturers alike .  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DiveController said:

That’s a fantastic idea. I think many of us have perused figurines by Bachmann and others looking for ‘prototypic’ CIE crews. Could do with passengers for trackside and coaches from some different eras from 60s onward too

This is a great idea and with the arrival of the iconic A class we could see the return of the  standing up driver in the cab , a lot of steam men who were retrained from steam to diesel from the mid 1950's and early 1960's had spent a lot of their footplate careers standing , when the A and C class came along they still stood with the fold up drivers seat to lean on , a common sight in the 1970's and 1980's with  a lot of the older drivers . With the 121's they had no choice but to sit .

• Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 6:36 AM, murphaph said:

Does anyone @WRENNEIRE cough cough know when Hattons of Liverpool will be getting their allocations of IR units? I pre-ordered with them months and months ago and feel bad cancelling even though Brexit is drawing nearer and nearer and I don't much fancy my models spending weeks in a customs warehouse in January. If they don't have them soon I expect my shipment will not make it back out of the UK and over to me in Germany before the end of the year, what with Christmas and Covid slowing the post right down.

has all the IR 121s landed ( 127, 130 & 133)?

30 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The UK Stockists are selling them between £157.50 and £145 so its slightly unfair to single out Hattons.  UK Model shops have to compete to survive, its just great that they stock Irish models and keep increasing the market for all.  

Yes, Two of the box shifting big boys Hattons and Rails of Sheffield have both been shunned by major manufacturers in recent times - with items delisted and press releases from the shops. This may be due factors beyond pricing- the  introduction of own label models with overlap could be seen as a likely cause. Smaller traders with own label production not affected. And works the other way with Revolution models - a two man band having an O gauge commission from Heljan - but remain to see how packaging badged.  

On the subject of packaging my Ballasts were in a suitable sized box, and that was it. However I notice that for the collectors wanting "mint" packaging the green box had a rigid plastic sleeve outer. - great for free glazing thanks! but apart from shock damage this will protect product in transit.   I would have thought screwed Dublin newspaper could be an answer - if, like in Brum the public transport is awash with a free rag paper every day (skool kids act like gerbils to make bedding !- pet hate.) and keep costs down. 

My friends at Dapol once described the " first floor test" - N model in packaging and jewel case and card sleeve is thrown off  fire escape and then packaging and model tested. Fancy that with a 121 anybody!

Robert           

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdTLVLIgp0

FWIW .....

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

51 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Got a beauty in grey to support the RPSI, plus (yesterday) B125, both from Mark’s Models in Hawkins St., who are always an absolute pleasure to deal with.

They are, as others have already observed, exquisite!

And IRM are down to the last twenty odd RPSI models, which is fantastic news for the RPSI and the market!

57 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

On the subject of packaging my Ballasts were in a suitable sized box, and that was it. However I notice that for the collectors wanting "mint" packaging the green box had a rigid plastic sleeve outer. - great for free glazing thanks! but apart from shock damage this will protect product in transit.   I would have thought screwed Dublin newspaper could be an answer...

I have a far better idea: edible inner packaging, ie little bags of Tayto!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 30/11/2020 at 5:36 PM, iarnrod said:

Any photos of the Supertrain versions yet? Does anyone know if these come with or without tablet catchers?

Hi, have any photos being released of the Supertrain versions? Love the 121s released to date.  Excellent, thank you Mr. Murphy and cannot wait for the IRM A Class ( hopefully followed by B101 Sulzers, C Class and E Class Shunters). 

• Like 4

On 30/11/2020 at 5:36 PM, iarnrod said:

That is the $64,000 question?  I thought one of  the supertrain loco will them and one doesn’t , I received my very fabulous B125 in the post from IRM , but it has no tablet snatchers and as far as I’m aware all the Black and Tan locos had them I was thinking they might be in the bag of bling  bits that comes with  the loco but unfortunately not ,  it’s not the end of the world and doesn’t detract from what is a beautiful model  , however it would be wonderful if someone  like SSM , ECM trains  or IRM could do them as an accessory and we could fit them as required to any loco . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Wondering should I invest in a few to sell off at €400 a pop next summer... 

It looks like demand is far outweighing supply. The 071s hung around for a while, but the 121s are flying out. They certainly will increase in price, but €400 is some figure. Anybody know how many were actually produced, as it would be a good marker to how strong the hobby is, at present? 

Edited by RKX
Spelling
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RKX said:

It looks like demand is far outweighing supply. The 071s hung around for a while, but the 121s are flying out. They certainly will increase in price, but €400 is some figure. Anybody know how many were actually produced, as it would be a good marker to how strong the hobby is, at present? 

Almost sure that WRENNEIRE said that there were 504 of each.

Possibly 300 of the RPSI model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RKX said:

It looks like demand is far outweighing supply. Yes certainly does on this occasion and the sales now doubt helped by stuff to stick behind them too from IRM. Is 504 now too low of a number to cater for the Irish Market or do you risk shelf sitters on a higher batch.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't want shelf sitters, as a producer (ifthe retailers want to sit on them, fair enough).And the costs up front must be massive, so a larger run is a big gamble. Seeing as whatever has been released, so far, has sold, maybe MM left some money on the table? Although, I wouldn't want to be paying much more for each model, personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Is 504 now too low of a number to cater for the Irish Market or do you risk shelf sitters on a higher batch.

30 minutes ago, RKX said:

I certainly wouldn't want shelf sitters, as a producer (ifthe retailers want to sit on them, fair enough).

Probably depends on what other plans the manufacturer has. Not speaking specifically about the 121's, but in general.

If you plan launching rolling stock, that will sell better if you still have locos left in stock. So, you could do a small batch of locos and a small batch of rolling stock, and not bother with the two batches aiding each others sales, or you could do larger batches of each, where the sales of each boosts sales of the other.

Like Guinness and toilet paper side by side in the supermarket.

• Funny 1