Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

Testing 127, 133 and 125 last night with their respective sound modules and I have no sound from either 127 and 133 though their lights are controllable and they run as if there was sound there. Swapped decoders around and they all tested fine on 125 so it sounds like either a wiring problem to the speaker or no speaker fitted on 127 and 133. These are delicate puppies so I'm not overly keen taking them apart. I've already gone back to respective vendors. Anyone encounter this? 

• Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, declan64 said:

I received 125 this morning from IRM and it was alarmingly poorly packaged - same as above - loose in an overly large box with just some crumpled brown paper. Not really good enough for an 190 euro model in my opinion so after I check the model this evening I'll be getting back to IRM in the morning. Everything else I've got from IRM has been well packed so this is disappointing to see for a valuable loco like this. 

On 30/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, murphaph said:

I hope Hattons do a better job packing my 121s than they did last week. Multiple broken display cases on Oxford diecast items. Virtually no protection inside the parcel. One thin layer of standard bubble wrap inside the parcel and that was it.

On 30/11/2020 at 7:28 PM, Railer said:

In fairness my pack was wrapped in bubble wrap tightly yet my 121 was dislodged within its foam casing. It was titled back about 30 degrees and this caused the walkway handrail on that side to pop off.

I think that shipping and logistics companies are under a lot more pressure than usual, so maybe parcels are being handled more roughly.

Less staff working, less transit slots available on ships and planes, a lot more being bought online than before.

They are probably recruiting anybody that they can get their hands on, so we have the bottom of the barrel literally kicking our locos around in transit...

I'm praying that my 121's are well protected with lots of internal packaging and survive the trip down here...

3000km as the crow flies, 4000km via the UK and Spain!

I, too, received a Hattons order the other day containing many smashed and damaged display cases.

That's the first time that has happened with a Hattons order, and I noticed that the internal packaging was poorer than usual.

Fingers crossed that Christmas isn't spent packaging items for return!

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1

They look great. Like the correct deeper shade of CIE tan (ie golden brown) rather than IE dayglo orange. Cracking good looking models. Well done MM you got them delivered on time for Christmas, all 6 livery variations clap.gif

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I think that shipping and logistics companies are under a lot more pressure than usual, so maybe parcels are being handled more roughly.

Less staff working, less transit slots available on ships and planes, a lot more being bought online than before.

They are probably recruiting anybody that they can get their hands on, so we have the bottom of the barrel literally kicking our locos around in transit...

I'm praying that my 121's are well protected with lots of internal packaging and survive the trip down here...

3000km as the crow flies, 4000km via the UK and Spain!

I, too, received a Hattons order the other day containing many smashed and damaged display cases.

That's the first time that has happened with a Hattons order, and I noticed that the internal packaging was poorer than usual.

Fingers crossed that Christmas isn't spent packaging items for return!

Plus the fact now in Ireland deliveries are being subbed out to Taxi driver, Like they will care. DPD are doing this  reckon. Buddy of mine witnessed in his avenue loads boxes being lobbed out roughly onto the road before he dropped them to the end user. He was looking out for he 121 delivery and was bricking it that it might be in the delivery!

7 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Some 121 images 

1A866C27-5DFE-4F73-B3F6-61D023063B18.jpeg

8DED6A61-269F-4D42-B266-C47A8592FC25.jpeg

AF34AAEC-0AB8-4EEF-9BEE-AA710F39F2A4.jpeg

What a line up 20 years ago one would be dreaming of models of that quality instead of whacking together great lumps of white metal!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Plus the fact now in Ireland deliveries are being subbed out to Taxi driver, Like they will care. DPD are doing this  reckon. Buddy of mine witnessed in his avenue loads boxes being lobbed out roughly onto the road before he dropped them to the end user. He was looking out for he 121 delivery and was bricking it that it might be in the delivery!

What a line up 20 years ago one would be dreaming of models of that quality instead of whacking together great lumps of white metal!

We are living in a golden age for Irish Railway Modelling 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

We have experienced very bad service from that company, chucked parcels over our wall, left out on the road, left out the in rain, damaged items, never arrive when their SMS says, always late, truly the worst courier company we've ever experienced. Signed for? A joke with them.

• Like 2

Are there more 121's on the way from China, or in stock with Murphy Models awaiting dispatch, or is that it?

It's just that they seem to have sold out so quickly, literally in days on the IRM and Hattons websites!

Still in stock at Marks Models, I know, but the pace of the sales is blinding at the aforementioned.

12 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are there more 121's on the way from China, or in stock with Murphy Models awaiting dispatch, or is that it?

It's just that they seem to have sold out so quickly, literally in days on the IRM and Hattons websites!

Still in stock at Marks Models, I know, but the pace of the sales is blinding at the aforementioned.

I'm glad these locos have been a runaway sales success for MM finishing well at the top of his game. 

Some traders and collectors have bought between 50-100 of these locos. That's just commerce.

• Like 1

DPD managed to drop my Hattons parcel last week despite the fragile tape all over it but Hattons packaging left a lot to be desired in fairness. Oxford diecast items protected with a single layer of old school single layer bubble wrap that looked like it had been used a dozen times before. Normally I can't fault DPD here in Germany either. These big logistics companies seem to be formed by merger after merger, takeover after takeover so the company culture is a patchwork of old ones. They are very different in respect of how they operate in each geography I reckon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Noel said:

I'm glad these locos have been a runaway sales success for MM finishing well at the top of his game. 

Some traders and collectors have bought between 50-100 of these locos. That's just commerce.

How do you actually know that Noel? 50 locos is 10K. Mind you if you had the cash to do it you would have most likely a better return that the Savings banks.

The Way things are with Limited stuff now is going nuts take the Olivias train Hornby 3rd class coach for the Stephenson Rocket.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150512-new-hornby-rocket/page/66/

Just not Cricket ol chap.

Would not mind 2 extra to renumber but if they are gone there gone,  Maybe PM will do another run of different numbers at some stage, nothin stopping him doing that at some stage, ching Ching.

• Like 1

These are the first Irish locos released since IRM entered the arena to provide a whole bunch of RTR stuff to haul. Probably no surprise that they are possibly the fastest selling Irish locos of all.

Absolute golden age for Irish modelling. If I'd come back to the hobby a little over a decade ago I'd probably have modeled US or possibly German outline to be quite honest. Irish stuff would have been too much effort for me, box opener that I am! I want a LOT of stock on a large layout some day. That's not practical if you have to build all the rolling stock yourself. You'd run out of time on this earth.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

How do you actually know that Noel? 50 locos is 10K. Mind you if you had the cash to do it you would have most likely a better return that the Savings banks.

How, two were kind enough to let me know, but schtum on names. Not 10k at list price, traders will be buying at wholesale prices. It may not be cricket, its just business. If a commercial trader invests their capital or cashflow now for long/medium term stock that they can make say a 50% return on by selling in 5-10 years time when its in demand is high, that's just a good business investment given where interest rates are now. Given that MM may possibly be getting close to retirement, perhaps a particularly astute decision given there is little chance of re-runs. Only time will tell, but we have been told on here many times that the 121 was going to be the last model from that excellent stable that had virtually on its own transformed our hobby, with the baton now firmly in the hands of IRM, the future looks bright. Never have we had it so good.

• Like 2

I have never had any problems with DPD. They text you or email you early in the day with a time and always deliever at that time. They knock on the door and hand you the parcel and you sign for it. 

You can arrange another delivery date if no one is home or collect at the depot. During lockdown and as recent as this week we had 2 deliveries and the lads rang the bell stood back on the driveway and waited until the door was answered.

I am not saying everyone has had the same experience as me but they are no worse or better than most.

Rich,

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RedRich said:

I have never had any problems with DPD. They text you or email you early in the day with a time and always deliever at that time. They knock on the door and hand you the parcel and you sign for it. 

You can arrange another delivery date if no one is home or collect at the depot. During lockdown and as recent as this week we had 2 deliveries and the lads rang the bell stood back on the driveway and waited until the door was answered.

I am not saying everyone has had the same experience as me but they are no worse or better than most.

Rich,

That would be my experience of DPD on the Big Island - easily the best of the various couriers from a recipient's point of view.

The predicted arrival times are such that you could almost disconnect the door bell.

Few others even come close to their performance.

For me, Royal Mail's 'tracking' is usually largely fictional.

There will probably be local, regional and national variations in how any organisation performs, though, I suppose.

A few operations may have been caught out by the sudden popularity of additional items being delivered in the current circumstances.

• Like 2

Richard, I suspect the historical problem may have been the local distribution sub-contractor in our area, they have never come anywhere near the time their SMS said, always hours later, and rarely even on the correct day, twice had parcels damaged because they were thrown over the wall on the public road because driver was too impatient to ring the bell or phone for access. I once sent a CCTV clip to their head office as evidence. We now avoid online retailers who use them. An Post has proven the most reliable and diligent delivery service in our rural area. So Far my 121 models have arrived safely that way. Anyway back to 121s. :) Looking forward to the IR and ST livery versions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Richard, I suspect the historical problem may have been the local distribution sub-contractor in our area, they have never come anywhere near the time their SMS said, always hours later, and rarely even on the correct day, twice had parcels damaged because they were thrown over the wall on the public road because driver was too impatient to ring the bell or phone for access. I once sent a CCTV clip to their head office as evidence. We now avoid online retailers who use them. An Post has proven the most reliable and diligent delivery service in our rural area. So Far my 121 models have arrived safely that way. Anyway back to 121s. :) Looking forward to the IR and ST livery versions.

CCTV ffs your gaff sounds like Stalag 17. Or David Koresh's compound 😄.

Rich,

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Noel said:

How, two were kind enough to let me know, but schtum on names. Not 10k at list price, traders will be buying at wholesale prices. It may not be cricket, its just business. If a commercial trader invests their capital or cashflow now for long/medium term stock that they can make say a 50% return on by selling in 5-10 years time when its in demand is high, that's just a good business investment given where interest rates are now. Given that MM may possibly be getting close to retirement, perhaps a particularly astute decision given there is little chance of re-runs. Only time will tell, but we have been told on here many times that the 121 was going to be the last model from that excellent stable that had virtually on its own transformed our hobby, with the baton now firmly in the hands of IRM, the future looks bright. Never have we had it so good.

Commercial traders ok but collectors with 50 , that pushing the boundaries!

As the man says when you pop the clogs there will be swarms of lads coming down to do the Missues a Favour and get rid of the pesky toys for you,  As long as that all it is! ;)

Three Cheers from An Post TBH Great set an lovely Post missus here in Conna!

The latest liveries look excellent and the detail is supurb again. With regard to the Supertrain versions I suppose I was expecting numbering detail from the early 70s - mid 80s rather than the late                (late) 1980s so a bit sad in that respect. I am loath to attempt to change them ( removing 's' and stenciling) and risk damaging the paintwork.  Do not want to take anything from what are SUPERB models though, it is just my era growing up.

9 minutes ago, Dead Kennedy said:

The Supertrain versions I suppose I was expecting numbering detail from the early 70s - mid 80s rather than the late                (late) 1980s so a bit sad in that respect. I am loath to attempt to change them ( removing 's' and stenciling) .

Would you care to explain exactly what you mean by the numbering detail ? 

Askin’ for a friend 😉