Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

2 minutes ago, Joe Keegan said:

Would you care to explain exactly what you mean by the numbering detail ? 

Askin’ for a friend 😉

The air brake stenciling on the cab and the 's' after the locomotive running number (126s & 131s) were features well into the last couple of years of Supertrain livery ( which had been introduced in the early 1970s). On the up-side, if you are a little younger than me and your era is Irish Rail, you could incorporate these into your layout without looking out of step with the later tippex livery. This may have been the intention.

Just now, Joe Keegan said:

Would you care to explain exactly what you mean by the numbering detail ? 

Askin’ for a friend 😉

The side numbers were highlighted with black on the the Supertrain era locos, it's not the end of the world what matters is the colour which seems to be  spot on and  for the purists amongst us Railtech transfers do a set for the 121's and its not rocket science to change them .

railtech 5745-1.jpg

Edited by flange lubricator

Just now, Dead Kennedy said:

Hi, how do you safely remove the running numbers before applying Railtecs? It seems like a very good solution. Just nervous re paint scheme.

The simple answer is very carefully with nail polish remover a very tiny amount to test at first , then apply the new decal using decal the operative word is caution .

Edited by flange lubricator

1 minute ago, flange lubricator said:

The simple answer is very carefully with nail polish remover a very tiny amount to test at first , then apply the new decal using decal fix .

Ouch! Nail varnish remover is strong stuff and could badly damage the paintwork, T-Cut is a far less aggressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

That's why I advise Caution ! Even with T Cut do a small test piece and go very easily with some on a cotton bud using Caution .

Understood, but nail varnish remover contains acetone which is a very harsh solvent. I’d be very wary of it on any kind of plastic or paint finish.

• Like 3

Are staff catchers available as spares? Unfortunately I ordered the wrong one in supertrain livery. I must say I'm disappointed a the 121 was not made available in the correct mid seventies supertrain  livery and numbering with staff catchers which they wore for the best part of a decade.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, patrick said:

Are staff catchers available as spares? Unfortunately I ordered the wrong one in supertrain livery. I must say I'm disappointed a the 121 was not made available in the correct mid seventies supertrain  livery and numbering with staff catchers which they wore for the best part of a decade.

What was the difference between mid seventies ST and mid eighties ST on the 121's?

2 hours ago, DoctorPan said:

Does anyone know if there's spares going around? Two of my 121s have arrived with snapped vac bags on the cab end and would like to get replacements.

Vac pipe on the cab end broken on mine also. Must be a slight weakness in the packaging that must press against it once it gets a thump or two in transit. 

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So the font for the numbers is the only difference?

Nope, stencilling and the 'S' wouldnt be on earlier Supertrain period locos. Also, certain detail on the bonnet roof would indicate CAWS era. Tablet catchers had been removed from all locos by end of 1984.

• Like 2

Started bricking it when I went to collect my 121 from the post office today and was presented with this box. Luckily there seems to be no major damages to the model itself.

As they are not attached in the correct position on both sides, I presume the railings along the sides of the locomotive are to be attached once out of the packaging? Or is this a case of them being dislodged during a clearly uncomfortable journey?

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

Started bricking it when I went to collect my 121 from the post office today and was presented with this box. Luckily there seems to be no major damages to the model itself.

As they are not attached in the correct position on both sides, I presume the railings along the sides of the locomotive are to be attached once out of the packaging? Or is this a case of them being dislodged during a clearly uncomfortable journey?

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

That was lucky..........

The reality is that delivery companies REALLY need to step up to the mark. They are in the lucky position for them, and disastrous position for everyone else, of having a monopoly - and they know it, so they don't give a toss how damaged customers' good are.

There are numerous stories all over the place of workers in depots and delivery men just flinging stuff about.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

Side rails should be attached to the loco. Your ones appear to have broken off in transit.

Was there any other packaging (e.g. bubblewrap) on the loco apart from being placed in an over-sized flimsy box? Doesn't appear to be from the photos, which is really bad form for a loco that costs €190.

My advice would be return it to wherever you purchased it. 

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

That's absolutely Disgraceful, Did you sign for that damaged, I would put in a claim on that with the carrier.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, popeye said:

What's the point of putting fragile tape all round it.

I don't think these people can read. :S

It is would be annoying if they can't read, but the infuriating thing is that you know fine well they can understand it.

Edited by Liam_Murph
  • Like 3

A recent 121 delivery from one supplier was not IMHO adequately protected inside the outer box just one layer of bubble wrap which does not prevent the MM loco box from moving within the outer packaging box, nor protect it from shock (eg if the outer box is dropped or chucked on to a load). No apparent harm done, all the grap rails where still stuck to the model unlike my 1st grey 121 a few months ago which had virtually every hand rail shaken off for the same reason (ie no bubble wrap at all, just some thin paper). Ideally the loco box should not be in direct contact with the side of the outside packaging box and should not be able to move around freely within the outer box. Should be stuffed with bubble wrap or an alternative padding. Mind you first world problems. :) 

21 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Side rails should be attached to the loco. Your ones appear to have broken off in transit.

Was there any other packaging (e.g. bubblewrap) on the loco apart from being placed in an over-sized flimsy box?

My advice would be return it to wherever you purchased it. 

No packaging inside the box. Unfortunately this was bought from the lads at IRM which I wouldn't have expected

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

A recent 121 delivery from one supplier was not IMHO adequately protected inside the outer box just one layer of bubble wrap which does not prevent the MM loco box from moving within the outer packaging box, nor protect it from shock (eg if the outer box is dropped or chucked on to a load). No apparent harm done, all the grap rails where still stuck to the model unlike my 1st grey 121 a few months ago which had virtually every hand rail shaken off for the same reason (ie no bubble wrap at all, just some thin paper). Ideally the loco box should not be in direct contact with the side of the outside packaging box and should not be able to move around freely within the outer box. Should be stuffed with bubble wrap or an alternative padding. Mind you first world problems. :) 

If I couldn't moan about my first world problem on an internet forum, would it really be a first world problem? 😉

There was no packaging around the loco box itself at all which is why I count it as lucky that there was not more damage to it. Did you just re-insert the rails into their sockets in the loco body or use a drop of glue with them to hold it in place?

16 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

If I couldn't moan about my first world problem on an internet forum, would it really be a first world problem? 😉

There was no packaging around the loco box itself at all which is why I count it as lucky that there was not more damage to it. Did you just re-insert the rails into their sockets in the loco body or use a drop of glue with them to hold it in place?

Looks to me like some of the handrails have actually snapped off on that loco and took some of the orange paint with them in the process. Unsure if re-inserting them is an option for some of the stanchions.

These locos are the dog's dangly bits, but are so fragile, that even well packaged, are likely to suffer some damage if they encounter any rough handling at all during their journey in the postal/courier system. This particular loco didnt stand a chance in hell of arriving in one piece with that packaging unfortunately. 

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Liam_Murph said:

No packaging inside the box. Unfortunately this was bought from the lads at IRM which I wouldn't have expected

Hi Liam,

We are very sorry about this. We switched to a new Dublin based warehouse ahead of the dreaded B word and their early dispatches have indeed left a little to be desired. Can report with feedback that they have since significantly upped their game in this regard. Still have no idea how a big hole ended up in the side of the box though.

Please email us with your order number to support@irishrailwaymodels.com and we will sort out any issues with the loco for you,

Thanks,

Fran 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Liam_Murph said:

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

Some serious questions need to be asked of the delivery guys as it looks to me that the plastic loco lift sleeve  is also torn which would mean that the loco box is also badly damaged

Good to hear the warehouse packaging issues have been addressed. 

I'm in the middle of setting up a 121 with a blank LS5 decoder. Just using trial and error to see what is wired to what but there's not that much really.

A  question. Do you guys like the MM way of describing the front of the loco as the cab end? I know they were driven cab first for most of their lives but inside the cab as far as the driver at the controls was concerned that was still "in reverse", right?

It's not important and each to their own but I am more inclined to label the bonnet end the front when I am setting up the decoder etc. Am I the only one or does anyone else prefer the "bonnet is front" school of thought?

It's good to see all the lights are on their own function outputs so we can set things up so the bonnet end lights are off when in consist or hauling a train.

Quick question about the IR era marker lights. Were these LEDs or incandescent bulbs?

13 hours ago, Liam_Murph said:

20201208_221334.jpg

20201208_221345.jpg

20201208_222030.jpg

Wow - looks like someone was using the box as a football. That is shocking

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

A  question. Do you guys like the MM way of describing the front of the loco as the cab end? I know they were driven cab first for most of their lives but inside the cab as far as the driver at the controls was concerned that was still "in reverse", right?

It's not important and each to their own but I am more inclined to label the bonnet end the front when I am setting up the decoder etc. Am I the only one or does anyone else prefer the "bonnet is front" school of thought?

As they were always (bar very few exceptions) driven cab first, I would see it as the 'front' of the loco. 

I know that in the States, they view the cab as the rear, which would come from the steam days I suppose. 

That being said, even though the locos are American, when used in Ireland the cab was the 'front' - regardless of what way the controls were laid out. 

Way I see it, if you imported a left hand drive car from the States to Ireland, you wouldn't go driving it on the right hand side of the road, even though the steering wheel was laid out with that in mind!

But do whatever you want - especially if you have or had Yank layouts, and are used to that way of thinking front v rear! 😄