Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

12 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Ignore it and enjoy there lovely models when they arrive. I pay no attention to nitpicking  myself, especially not from people who pop up on the forum ONLY to post negative opinions.

I understand how important feedback is to a manufacturer, it's just the timing of it. Leave us a few weeks of enjoyment, first!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yes the 121's were often double-headed, due to them not having a cab at each end it made sense to pair them. they also double-headed with 141's and 181's all the time.

Thank you. I have to admit i wasn't interested in getting but now I'm glad I did. Stunning model. 

Were they paired by number or was it a case of what was available? 

48 minutes ago, Dempsey said:

Did the 121s run double headed together or was it just with the 141s 181s?

Almost inevitably singly in the 1960s (grey / yellow and black'n'tan versions), but usually, and laterally inevitably "paired" either with other 121s, 141s or 181s after 1972 (black'n'tan and all later liveries).

• Like 1

Well when you have the brand new MM 121's, then there going to need a crew to operate them and keep them in tip top working order! Enter Glenderg Models who gave me a sneak preview this evening of some prototypes figures he is working on!! They look absolutely fantastic! I suspect there's a Ken Fox, a Lar Griffin, maybe even a Noel Enright in the production line, with more surprises to come! Looking forward to their release! And  yes, I have Richie's blessing to post them!

P1040959.JPG

P1040962.JPG

P1040968 (2).JPG

P1040967 (2).JPG

• Like 9
  • WOW! 4

8 hours ago, Dempsey said:

Did the 121s run double headed together or was it just with the 141s 181s?

Connolly-Sligo and Connolly-Rosslare passenger diagrams were almost exclusively operated by pairs of 121 Class from the late 1970s until replaced by 071 Class in the mid 1990s.

At least one Heuston-Westport diagram was regularly worked by pairs of 121 Class during the same time period, pairs of 121s even appeared on Connolly-Belfast Enterprise workings into the early 1990s.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

Connolly-Sligo and Connolly-Rosslare passenger diagrams were almost exclusively operated by pairs of 121 Class from the late 1970s until replaced by 071 Class in the mid 1990s.

At least one Heuston-Westport diagram was regularly worked by pairs of 121 Class during the same time period, pairs of 121s even appeared on Connolly-Belfast Enterprise workings into the early 1990s.

They did indeed appear on the "Enterprise" - though not often. The "A" class were more regular.

My own observations of them concur with yours, of course - I travelled in the cab of 121 "pairs" on the Sligo line twice in the late '70s. Anyone here who ever travelled in the cab of a 141 at speed - the 121s were even bumpier!

My recollections of Westport in the early to late 70s was more usually "A" class, though I am aware that pairs operated here also. (We used to go to the "Wisht" for our holidays every summer).

For models, it's a reasonable rule of thumb that grey examples operate singly, and black'n'tan ones either singly or in tandem with another, or with a 141 or 181 if you are modelling 1972 (Mk 2 era) onwards. Unless there was ever a test run, I doubt if grey 121s were ever paired - certainly never in regular traffic.

In the 1970s, any mix of the three classes (for a pair) of black'n'tan or supertrain liveries. By 1980, 121s working singly were as good as unknown, with but two exceptions: (a) The Dundalk Barrack St branch, and (b) later on, a few 121s with the Mk 3 push-pulls.

By the very late 80s / early 90s, you've a mix of CIE supertrain livery and "tippex" with "set of points" logo. Black'n'tan is long gone by now, so this and "tippex" never mixed.

Later still, mixes in pairs with this and the "three-pin-plug" logo. 

I have a very vague memory of seeing a photo somewhere one time of a new (grey) 121 rescuing a failed steam loco on a service train (or maybe it was the other way round!), so you had a unique "pair" there - a brand new 121 and a steam engine! 

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Its carrying the then-current "Enterprise" headboard....

That train actually shows perfectly the necessity to have model "tin vans" to top and tail trains like this - one luggage van (rear in this case) and one heating van (behind the loco in the above).

Is that one of the later 1960 built 3148-3152 heating vans with the inward opening doors with a 1909 series laminate brake and a  (1964 built) Craven with battery boxes fairly new and possibly a Buffet car and full first too .

Edited by flange lubricator

2 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

This really gets my goat up
PM slogging away on his own working from detailed drawings and talking with people who worked on the locos. Then he lands out a 6 figure sum , eventually gets the locos delivered, then distributed and a keyboard warrior comes along and complains about boxes being silver not white! Jesus wept man admire the models for what they are and praise what has been done correctly, give the man a brake! And play with them

I have to agree, Dave. Especially when the criticism comes from a member with the grand total of 2 posts on these forums! BOTH of those posts are pointed criticism of Murphy Models products. I don’t like to demonise or single out anybody but this sort of crap needs to be called out.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

There's nothing wrong with fair criticism either. Like if the models were poor runners or whatever then you could rightly complain loudly after handing over almost 200 quid for one but these little cosmetic details across a fleet of locos that were virtually all unique in some way due to the various modifications that took place would simply make almost any model economically nonviable if you were to be overly strict about being prototypical. You can have a wide variety of running numbers and liveries with little details that don't reflect the prototype OR you can have one or two liveries and running numbers that are exactly right. I know what I'll take.

• Like 10

On 25/11/2020 at 12:43 AM, fishplate7 said:

Well when you have the brand new MM 121's, then there going to need a crew to operate them and keep them in tip top working order! Enter Glenderg Models who gave me a sneak preview this evening of some prototypes figures he is working on!! They look absolutely fantastic! I suspect there's a Ken Fox, a Lar Griffin, maybe even a Noel Enright in the production line, with more surprises to come! Looking forward to their release! And  yes, I have Richie's blessing to post them!

P1040959.JPG

P1040962.JPG

P1040968 (2).JPG

P1040967 (2).JPG

Great to see the figures they look great. I am sure this is only the beginning.

Rich,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

'Tis why I ventured out to the man cave to inspect this beauty further. I can make as much mess as I want out there. You know me too well Rich :D 

I know, the badges on the socket are nice. You're spot on about the babies Jason they are still up there with the best.

Rich,

• Like 2

I might have missed it in the 25 pages but today saw a review in Rail Express Dec 2020 issue for the 121 - given excellent review  " The design of the model has been carefully considered to accommodate the drive and electronics in the narrow bonnet along with a good level of weight and delicate detailing resulting in a lovely machine which is good value for money."   Double page spread on 135 worth a read.  

I think the quote says it all, thanks  due to Mr. Paddy Murphy for seeing this project completed with such style.   

• Like 4

Does anyone @WRENNEIRE cough cough know when Hattons of Liverpool will be getting their allocations of IR units? I pre-ordered with them months and months ago and feel bad cancelling even though Brexit is drawing nearer and nearer and I don't much fancy my models spending weeks in a customs warehouse in January. If they don't have them soon I expect my shipment will not make it back out of the UK and over to me in Germany before the end of the year, what with Christmas and Covid slowing the post right down.

• Funny 1