Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

56 minutes ago, declan64 said:

I've had 3-4 deliveries from them since Brexit without any problems. Effectively no different from the pre-Brexit experience with them which has been a relief.

I had a double VAT hit with Hornby but got them to refund me the UK VAT which they shouldn't have charged me with in the first place.

That was the plan for Germany too. Do the parcels have some marking on them to say delivered duty paid? I haven't bought anything from them for a while but I see reports on the German forum I'm on about vat being charged. Hattons refunds the vat but it's a hassle for everyone.

I'd almost prefer them to deduct the UK vat but their German turnover is seemingly too high and they are obliged to charge vat at the checkout.

6 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

All changes July 1st with removals of the exemptions and new ‘One Stop Shop’ Vat registration across the EU

Does that mean that online sellers will have to charge 7% IGIC for sales to Las Canarias at point of sale, instead of selling VAT free? That would save a lot of headaches when receiving orders, having the IGIC pre-paid.

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Does that mean that online sellers will have to charge 7% IGIC for sales to Las Canarias at point of sale, instead of selling VAT free? That would save a lot of headaches when receiving orders, having the IGIC pre-paid.

Unfortunately IGIC isn’t VAT as far as the EU are concerned So no change to the process there :( 

3 hours ago, declan64 said:

And Hattons are registered for Irish VAT so that means painless deliveries (and no extra processing fees) and painless returns if you have a problem. With anyone else you're going to have to claim your VAT back from the courier who paid it if your return something. 

I'm not aware of any other UK supplier providing this (apart from Amazon which wouldn't be my first stop for railway models). Does anyone know of anyone else?

eBay purchases from the UK are a  total disaster post Brexit. Don't get me going ....

We have examined the options for exporting DDTP to Ireland and the UK mainly to remove the uncertainty around price for high value orders.

The main issues are that the DDTP shipping rates for small parcels are considerably higher than ordinary air parcel or international courier services and only one company operating an affordable DDTP service from NZ to the UK.

There may not be much difference in total price in ordering duty unpaid and paying the vat and associated charges on arrival as ordering an item DDTP as the charges and fees are built into the DDTP shipping rate.

From a practical point of view there is no additional labelling on a package to indicate that its sent DDTP, packages are kept separate from other mail and parcels sent in a separate DDTP mail bag from the customers premises to a internal airport and distributed from a "fulfilment center' in the country of arrival rather than being scanned by customs. 

The E-Bay Global Shipping Services and some Chinese shippers operate on the same principal, high value package arrives from the States or China with a local postmark and no customs declaration on the box.

• Informative 2

Personally I prefer sellers in the UK to deduct the vat (if they are vat registered) and ship it with a handwritten label. I've found stuff will often sneak through customs here if it's a smaller, lighter package especially. The volumes of parcels are so huge still that a lot gets waved through.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all

a couple of questions for those people here who know "people"!😃

whats the latest score with the 121 Sales?..... roughly what percentage of the run is sold

any idea whats left and what is sold out completely? - I see the Black and Tan B125 and B131 are sold out all over stocklists websites - interesting that given we're told many times its a bit "old" - see the same with "A" Class on IRM ... is  just the livery that looks great!

Just asking for a friend :D..... who left it a bit late to get a B131 ......on pre-order with Hattons now....will they get it into stock?

22 hours ago, Edo said:

I see the Black and Tan B125 and B131 are sold out all over stocklists websites - interesting that given we're told many times its a bit "old" - see the same with "A" Class on IRM ... is  just the livery that looks great!

@Edo - The photographs of the 121s on websites didn't do the early liveried versions real justice, they look way better in the flesh. As per Wrenneire's post above, if the full range is available at the Bray show it'd be worth going - it will eliminate any doubts some people have about the grey livery, think it shows off all the details of the prototype at it's best. Same with the As, I only had eyes for the EMD engined As until I saw the Crossley versions at the last Annual Railway Exhibition in 2019. I think that the As as they appeared originally have a bit more character than the later up-rated versions.

• Like 4

I will make it to Bray one day - just not on the 19th - its the Ma's birthday - I like trains - but I also like like keeping the nagging level in my life at acceptable levels ............when the missus finds out I've ordered 8 A class that quota is going to get used very fast!!

Anyway.........I know a man............who is getting me sorted :D - thanks Wrenneire.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 5/7/2021 at 1:21 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

Full range was available in Bray last Sunday and will be again on the 19th!

I presume you mean the 18th.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:43 PM, Edo said:

I will make it to Bray one day - just not on the 19th - its the Ma's birthday - I like trains - but I also like like keeping the nagging level in my life at acceptable levels ............when the missus finds out I've ordered 8 A class that quota is going to get used very fast!!

Anyway.........I know a man............who is getting me sorted :D - thanks Wrenneire.

You should be o.k. Edo. The next Bray show is on Sunday 18 July. Get to Bray on Sunday and still have time for the Ma's birthday on the 19th!

Edited by josefstadt
Typo
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Well….there is a lot of waffle before and after that unboxing, he actually gets it out of the box 8 minutes into the video 😭😭😭

"Unboxing videos" are almost by definition "waffle"! I generally avoid them like the plague - the only thing comparable is youtube videos of some supposedly spectacular train (I was unfortunate enough to come across one this evening) where you're staring at a tunnel mouth or a field beside a railway line for 10 minutes and 28 seconds, and then eventually for the last 17 seconds the train appears and rushes past - and the "photographer" cuts it off before even half the carriages have been seen!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Why on earth would you take the body off to install a Plugin decoder on the 121!

Well Jenny was the same half of the video looking at the loco and the other half looking at the loco again and then allocating points for said loco. Great there a skip button on the firestick thing.

However nice to see a lady involved in the hobby too.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 2

While videos like this are an irritation to some (including me) the big take home message I see it how someone who (obviously) knows nothing about Irish models, liveries or manufacturers perceives the model.

He highlights the strengths of the models in areas like slow running, pulling power, detail level, axles boxes etc.

He also points out what he perceives as deficiencies in the printed materials, website, disconnecting handrails, damaged horns (instead of vacuum pipes) and an attempt by the manufacturer to de-warrant the product if a proprietary decoder is not used. He didn't have the one with marker light issues.

Every one of these has been discussed on this site. 

His review is posted on YouTube where most of the responses are appreciated and supportive albeit some disagreed with his assessment of value for money stating the price point is appropriate citing similar models on the market.

What he didn't have was a very emotional rather than reasoned response to the review. The 121 still ended up 9th in his Top Ten but would have been in the top three with even one more star on detail (25 stars, 4% each)

If one were a manufacturer of Irish (or any) model locomotives, you could do worse than to improve the packaging, website, the strength of flimsy parts, and ensure no fuzzy paint jobs, while keeping all the strengths of the model.

I'm not saying that Sam Train's review is in any way better (or up to) one by a railway magazine for example. If a majority of purchasers out there are not on this site for instance they are forming their opinions influencenced by modeling magazines and internet reviews like this.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

it actually happened!!!

Delighted to see that.

The guy is obviously missing out on some things that niche-within-a-niche Irish modellers would know, for example "SuperTrain", which is understandable if he's young, British and hasn't experienced certain things for himself.

His issues with design / packaging / information are valid, and supported with evidence, ie are constructive criticism, but he does not allow these to take away from an otherwise outstanding model.

Hopefully, manufacturers in general learn from the comments of influencers such as him.

I see some commenters underneath his video suggesting IRM wagons to run with the 121, and suggesting that he reviews an A Class. If he does an A, hopefully he understands the relationship between IRM and Accurascale, and thus what the A means for future UK locos. It'll be a while before my own A's get here, but from what I've seen here and on YouTube, Sam will be blown away by the A.

Sam's Trains takes a beating on here, but I suspect that some of that is prejudice rather than judgement.

He addresses the unsuitability of the custard and cream coaches in his video, so is obviously well aware how blasphemous that is.

Hopefully, somebody tells him about IRM's Black Friday sale tomorrow and he gets himself a load of wagons to review!

• Like 5