Project 42 Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

I have to say, folks, if there's a load of new stuff all together on the market, like many here I certainly can't afford to buy it. For a number of reasons I'm VERY financially committed this year.

However, since I know from above comments I'm not alone, surely the answer is that the various items concerned will simply sell that bit slower - thus enabling a bit of saving. In my case, I'll prioritise. I'm still trying to pick up the odd thing that was offered for sale a few years ago but is now sold out - but these were snapped up at the time (e.g. Mayner's excellent tin vans). If all these new things appear at once, the rate of buying will hopefully slow to the extent that we'll mostly all get a bite of the pie...

Hopefully, anyway....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We understand that it's a lot of new stuff coming out, but if you need a savings scheme to help, there is always the IRM Card too, where you can throw a few quid a month onto it and then use the credit built up on it to buy models later on https://irishrailwaymodels.com/irish-railway-models-launch-gift-and-prepay-card/

We want to expand and build up a range and we dont expect them to sell out quickly like the ballasts. 

Then again, we've sold 20% of the Taras since Thursday afternoon.... 

• Like 3

As I said on facebook, Wow Wow Wow!! This really makes modelling Irish railways even more appealing to a broader audience such as UK and American modellers, who might appreciate the similar rolling stock, GM locomotives and so on. This is positive news for all us modellers all and I'm delighted to see the sucess of this venture so far! 

I am concerned as pointed out previously at the number of releases this year, and laying out my wish list I leave you all to do the maths!

4x 121s

10x ferts

4x Guinness 42's

10x 42' Bells

4x Ballast Ploughs

I'm starting to feel faint... and I still haven't bought any bubbles yet!😕

• Like 2

Great selection, although I have made some of these I will be buying yours also . it was great fun building them but can't wait to get the high quality rtr model s . well done lads for a great choice of products

Paddy

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

There is always the IRM Card too, where you can throw a few quid a month onto it and then use the credit built up on it to buy models later on https://irishrailwaymodels.com/irish-railway-models-launch-gift-and-prepay-card/

Great line up of models, IRM will have a busy few months ahead. 

I got a prepay IRM card for Christmas, which I have yet to use. Is it a fairly simple process to top these up as a means of saving, as you've mentioned above? 

Edited by Barl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barl said:

Great line up of models, IRM will have a busy few months ahead. 

I got a prepay IRM card for Christmas, which I have yet to use. Is it a fairly simple process to top these up as a means of saving, as you've mentioned above? 

It sure is Barl, we can top up at any show for you and we're working to install a new plug in software, there is a bit of trouble getting it to run smoothly which we were working on last week before the snow cut us off from IRM Towers, but we should have it working correctly next week! :)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

First off, many thanks for the positive waves gents, its been an inordinately busy 2018 from the Research and Design team. 

To that end, I need to thank Kieran Marshall, Colin Brack, Herrflick, the per way group on FB, Finbarr O'Neill, Neil Dinnen, aka The Wanderer, the bauld Weshty, even Jhb with his Australian photography, but especially John-R for some lifesaving shots of the older 42's.

Without the resources that folk post here and elsewhere, we'd be hamstrung at times, and I'm enormously grateful to this wonderful community for saving me going to the North Wall with a measuring tape in the rain! 

As for the release of all these projects at the same time, this is a practical decision from both a design and manufacturing point of view. 

All loads and wagon variations have to be designed at the same time to ensure compatibility with the base wagon. 

Similarly, our manufacturer would not be impressed if we were to stagger this over a number of years, which would involve forklifting the moulds in and out of cold storage every 12 months or so. 

So, from a design and manufacturing  point of view, it makes sense to get them to D12 as soon as possible. I, personally, don't expect a bread/milk scenario of zombie proportions that we've seen recently, with our wagons. We have the shelf space, and when it suits to purchase, they will be there. 

Fran alluded to various savings and payment options earlier, and he'll expand on that in the coming week. 

Richie. 

Edited by Glenderg
Dinnen, not Dinner
  • Like 8
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, spudfan said:

"I thought you were going to that train thing tonight"

"I was, but I changed my mind"

"But that's all you've talked about for the last few weeks"

" I know, I know. I thought it would be nicer to spend Saturday night with you. Besides there was all that expense. You know the travelling, the food, some drink and the overnight stay. So I decided against it and decided on a nice Saturday night with you instead.

So as I am staying in with you tonight, would you mind if I bought some wagons for the layout with the money instead?"

(Nailed it, me thinks:D)

.....don't be fooled - our womenfolk know what were like.  You have been played my friend

Related image

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, heirflick said:

.....don't be fooled - our womenfolk know what were like.  You have been played my friend

Related image

Like you say, there is always a fly in the ointment but in my case it turned out to be an ELEPHANT! Read on (but for those of a nervous disposition I'd advise reading no further)

"Well as you are not going to that train thing tonight, perhaps we could watch those "50 Shades" films ? Then afterwards maybe we could...."

All I can say is these wagons better be GOOD and the discount even better.O.o

• WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, spudfan said:

Like you say, there is always a fly in the ointment but in my case it turned out to be an ELEPHANT! Read on (but for those of a nervous disposition I'd advise reading no further)

"Well as you are not going to that train thing tonight, perhaps we could watch those "50 Shades" films ? Then afterwards maybe we could...."

All I can say is these wagons better be GOOD and the discount even better.O.o

The things we do for the hobby!!!:$:/:S:((

• Funny 1

The ladies always see the € sign the minute we mention anything. I told herself I would be having a very late night tonight as I will be watching the Kell Brook and Deontay Wilder fights. Her retort was is that pay per view. We can't win men, lie and repent later.

Rich,

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Have to agree George, and with the  121's hopefully arriving this year its a serious amount of money needed

With packs of 2 wagons costing around €70 - €80 a pop and the 121's at least twice that, costly times ahead

Don't tell the Missus, I have to take up Looting Lidls or Marks and Spencers....LOL.

• Like 1

Well gents , What a good series of projects the 42 foot base works in many ways. The ploughs complement  the ballasts.

Thanks for all of these and you will benefit from purchases - I commend rake discounts but I do not have  space with a 6 wagon max limit, such is life.  

Re the weeds train - good works as the tanks can be mounted back on short chassis to back date quite a bit  needing just to bash the spray and Bredin - IIRC from this far away did it not run one season with the EGV conversion and 4 wheel vehicles.

The EGV conversion vehicle a good idea as it will allow backdating to normal status and fit in well with the Cravens and the preserved stocks  So gets my vote to enable the weeds train and facilitate other conversions or hopefully a backdated model.... 

Will continue to offer up gifts for A and C - once your commercial  breath caught with the above projects, Locos are big investment leaps so understand waiting - "all good things ..etc ." 

Robert          

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Damn! Damn! Damn!

My plans for an exclusively 1950s / 60s collection is now up in smoke!

I'm going to have to have ferts and Guinness traffic......yes, shtick me down for some!

This means I'll also need a "Supertrain"-liveried 141......!

John

A man of your ability can deal with this!

One week you run the railway as 1950s / 60s, the next you run a more modern era - "Simples"!

Leslie

• Like 1

A question about the 42fts. Are you going to offer round buffers as an option like the UK HUO hoppers. Same with the older Ride Control bogies or just to another run or older 42s. Also will there be a version with the spark guards fitted? 

Edited by Railer

Best wishes for this great selection of goodies, Gents.

In theory, it's well outside my period, but then you go and produce the fertiliser wagons, which may prove irresistible.

Why?

Each one had the BR number of one of the Blessed Oliver's Merchant Navy Class pacifics. By a nice coincidence, I timed TEN of them in steam days fifty years ago - so I could have a rake of ten wagons with each of their numbers - I'll supply the list, as I'm sure others don't give a hoot which ten you do!! A lot cheaper than buying ten Hornby Merchant Navies!

I hope they have the success that they deserve - the rest of you guys had better go on constant overtime to pay for it!

Leslie

Oh, and then Paddy might produce that 121 Class!

You'll cause a run on the currency!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Have to agree George, and with the  121's hopefully arriving this year its a serious amount of money needed

With packs of 2 wagons costing around €70 - €80 a pop and the 121's at least twice that, costly times ahead

Don't remind me, Dave. I have a sound fitted 071 with twelve bubbles (say six hundred sterling?) sitting alongside a rake of ten hand-made GN coaches (a thousand plus) - never mind what's around the twelve roads of the turntable - the house insurance needs reviewing!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Railer said:

A question about the 42fts. Are you going to offer round buffers as an option like the UK HUO hoppers. Same with the older Ride Control bogies or just to another run or older 42s. Also will there be a version with the spark guards fitted? 

Yup, Round buffers and Ride Control Bogies too, such that those who want to run older pattern wagons can. For instance, the Guinness train was almost exclusively Ride Control, and the current spoil is Sambre et Meuse, so the serious detail enthusiast will be accommodated.  The buffers will be sprung too. 

I wouldn't mind but a pair of those buffers is stuck to something else  on the North Wall, (which we didn't announce) so I've something to measure off. R

Edit - I didn't have time to finalise the cad on the buffers and Ride Control bogies,  but as soon after I've had a lie down in a dark corner, I'll tidy them off and @Warbonnet will keep yez updated with progress.

The spark guards on the bogies are for heavy duty only, like the shale, bogie cements and the ammonias. 

Edited by Glenderg
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

John

A man of your ability can deal with this!

One week you run the railway as 1950s / 60s, the next you run a more modern era - "Simples"!

Leslie

It also means more Provincial "H" vans, as I'll need a few brown ones too!o

2 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

H Vans? Triangulated underframes like that on the weedspray tankers? We can't be having that kind of talk now, next thing ya know folk be going on about Bullied Opens, 10 and 12 ton brake vans, all sorts. Isn't that right @leslie10646  :P 

Dont forget cattle wagons, Glenderg!

• Like 1

Great 2018 line up, but I do hope in 2019 we might see Bulleid opens (single beet) and H-Vans, the two most numerous wagons by far to have ever run on Irelands railways and would probably brake all sales records.  In time A/C class, curtain cement wagons and double beets would crown and incredible product range. Long term, a laminate coach range would be a dream. Looking forward to following IRMs development over the next few years, it looks very exciting. Well done guys.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Glenderg said:

H Vans? Triangulated underframes like that on the weedspray tankers? We can't be having that kind of talk now, next thing ya know folk be going on about Bullied Opens, 10 and 12 ton brake vans, all sorts. Isn't that right @leslie10646  :P 

Shush, Richie, you're giving away all my secrets.

Youse boys have quite deflated my next announcement, but as it's to do with North of the Border (oh, I forgot, the Border's moved to the middle of the Irish Sea!), it won't worry anyone here!

No, the cattle wagons were pre-Bullied, so "straightforward" (?)  underframes.

Just off to work out where to put the third layout with all this modern stuff!