Project 42 Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

There was just the 5 of the 1970s design that IRM are doing with a few of the older type. Think one was still wearing the IR logo up to around 2003. 

The two that IRM are doing in the IE livery still exist stored at Northwall Yard.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 10:20 AM, Warbonnet said:

CIE Fertiliser Wagon

5a99713d80b78_No.606FertWagon.thumb.jpg.13d0c4385eb20d851ba33656d931ab02.jpg

Project 4 will be the distinctive CIE bogie fertiliser wagon, an iconic Irish wagon which could be found across the system for over 30 years. This will be the first wagon in our ‘Project 42’ series, which sees a number of wagon releases based around the humble 42ft flat wagon.

A total of 90 were built by CIE to carry pallets of fertiliser from the IFI plant near Arklow, Co. Wicklow across the country. The IRM release will consist of multiple packs of two wagons in a variety of markings to allow the formation of a prototypical train. The Ferts are due late Q2 2018.

Are the ferts still due late Q2 2018? @Warbonnet  I haven't heard much about them

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was watching some footage of the last days of beet traffic and looking through some pics and thought to myself that with the flats being produced and with IRM working with CRail would it be possible to see this being considered in the future.

Rich,

12862658633_a75bc67bf7_b.jpg

Edited by RedRich
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

We’re delighted to say that tooling will continue after Chinese New Year and we will have samples shortly after that. It’s a huge project with a huge amount of tooling required.

Cheers,

Fran

Thanks for the update. Can’t wait for the Accurascale BR Class 50!!!😁

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous looking wagon and impressive CAD images. Unfortunately I won't have need of same, just not really my era. I will however scumb to a pair of 42 ft container flats for Bells, just to collect another sample of IRMs uniquely Irish output, but alas yellow does not fit in on Kingsbridge. I am building a display case for Irish stock I may collect but not run on the layout.

Edited by Noel
grammer

5 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Will they be done without the flats?

Could use the same flat for running different wagons 

Hi Wrenn, 

The Liners will be away from the factory first, then the Fertiliser Wagons, then the Spoil wagons, the Guinness Keg Wagons and the Weedspray Packs, then we'll possibly do a run of 'unloaded' flats if there is enough demand.

We've also several projects underway quietly in the background that will be announced :)

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The Mk1 GSV would sell well considering all those cold Murphy Cravens on many layouts. 

Mk1 GSV might sell in CIE single strip B&T livery and IE/IR dual strike tippex livery as a GSV, but I cannot see any significant volume selling in yellow PW livery as a weed spray control coach.  I never understood the interest in PW stuff like weed spray train, and auto ballasters, etc. Railways were primarily to move people or goods. PW kit may be of eclectic interest for those with an interest with engineering vehicles, I don’t understand why but yellow stuff never blew my skirt up, nor does the contents of our broom cupboard, unseen yet functional.

Given the silver fox model is not bad, and most folk already have a few to go with their MM Craven stock and laminates from multiple sources (brass kits, overlays, JMD, WW, SF and IFM), it’s difficult to see how the demand numbers might make a high quality RTR model viable economically, compared to stock that could sell for rakes like mk3, mk4, laminates, etc. But by now IRM know their numbers and customer base we’ll and anything might be possible. 

• Confused 4

Noel, you may well be right but some folk will want RTR. It s more than likely as it gives a complete yellow train - careful design of sides to allow either a vent or window for GSV to spray. Same for roof. It it was GSV then my brass sides would go yellow as roof mods not needed and easy to fill grill with solder and cut windows. The Fox model I have would still be used I am sure . But a GSV, Cravens and a 141 makes for the typical branch train and all would be available RTR standards of current times and hard to resist. A veritable pile of Manulla Junction micros would result  (add own station of choice!)

Robert     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Mk1 GSV might sell in CIE single strip B&T livery and IE/IR dual strike tippex livery as a GSV, but I cannot see any significant volume selling in yellow PW livery as a weed spray control coach.  I never understood the interest in PW stuff like weed spray train, and auto ballasters, etc. Railways were primarily to move people or goods. PW kit may be of eclectic interest for those with an interest with engineering vehicles, I don’t understand why but yellow stuff never blew my skirt up, nor does the contents of our broom cupboard, unseen yet functional.

Given the silver fox model is not bad, and most folk already have a few to go with their MM Craven stock and laminates from multiple sources (brass kits, overlays, JMD, WW, SF and IFM), it’s difficult to see how the demand numbers might make a high quality RTR model viable economically, compared to stock that could sell for rakes like mk3, mk4, laminates, etc. But by now IRM know their numbers and customer base we’ll and anything might be possible. 

Without a doubt the worst post has been posted on IRM since we went live in 2012. The PW gangs and Machines are why our railways are so safe to travel on they they do a marvelous job.

I take it that from the amount of times that you have said never blew my skirt up on here that you like wearing ladies clothes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that so fair play for being so open. Only joking. 😊

Boop-boop-de-doop

2886066301_91f5196c20_o.jpg

• Funny 4

Agreed on PW work and workers unsung heros in many ways - but they are plagued with a nasty caste of "orangnitus" and some soul signing a 100 year contract for Gloss yellow !!  

I enjoy the UK machine scene as the diet of plastic trains grows  by the day and until recent offerings in the north of the UK and creation of pocket rocket HSTs it was getting a bit samey - pretty certain the passengers enjoy more comforts in places and much safer and quicker journeys - what it is all about  really not that exciting otherwise. 

I am  looking forward to the forthcoming yellowness on offer and hope of course for the GSV conversion ...

Just off to get my coat .. 

• Like 2

Personally I have avoided the Silverfox GSV as the difference in standard between them and the Murphy Cravens just stands out too much. 

If IRM can sell enough Plough Vans to break even  then the GSV should be fine. Plus the chassis and body may have some use for an Accurascale project if the tooling included the possibility of variations in the future. 

• Like 2

I realise that I am "IRM" currently, but many of you will recall I used to be just plain ol' Glenderg, missing delivery deadlines and such, but at the same time I produced a kit for the weedspray MK1 and sold quite a 4 of them, along with weathered and pristine "Ready To Run versions". 

Having spend many many hours researching and designing a kit, and then to hear that you, Noel,  think the Silverfox version is perfectly acceptable....yet you say 

"I call a spade a spade, my models are toys, and in our house everybody calls them Dad's toy train set.

"I play by making and driving my toy trains, and happy as a bunny when doing so, call it modelling, or play I care not. "

It's the contradictory nature of this regular narrative, like a bowel movement, that prevents me from sharing my experiences, thoughts, findings from elsewhere, as a  modeller on this forum any more. 

R

Edited by Glenderg
  • Like 7

It's not the first time a comment of that nature has been posted by a certain individual on here, and it certainly won't be the last. But I'll say no more, I don't want to be accused of bullying again. As for the Mk1 GSV, I have two from Silverfox. They're ok, but as already mentioned above the difference in quality stands out a mile when sitting beside an MM Craven. I'd easily retire both of mine if a quality RTR version became available, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one. At the end of the day IRM is a business, if the numbers stack up I'm sure anything is possible, as the plough vans proved. If not I'll make do with what I have. In my opinion some people are never happy, I'll leave it at that.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RedRich said:

Without a doubt the worst post has been posted on IRM since we went live in 2012. The PW gangs and Machines are why our railways are so safe to travel on they they do a marvelous job.

I take it that from the amount of times that you have said never blew my skirt up on here that you like wearing ladies clothes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that so fair play for being so open. Only joking. 😊

No. Not by a long shot, there were far, far worse car crash (or is that train wreck?) posts and series of posts.

8 hours ago, Glenderg said:

I realise that I am "IRM" currently, but many of you will recall I used to be just plain ol' Glenderg, missing delivery deadlines and such, but at the same time I produced a kit for the weedspray MK1 and sold quite a 4 of them, along with weathered and pristine "Ready To Run versions". 

Having spend many many hours researching and designing a kit, and then to hear that you, Noel,  think the Silverfox version is perfectly acceptable....yet you say 

"I call a spade a spade, my models are toys, and in our house everybody calls them Dad's toy train set.

"I play by making and driving my toy trains, and happy as a bunny when doing so, call it modelling, or play I care not. "

It's the contradictory nature of this regular narrative, like a bowel movement, that prevents me from sharing my experiences, thoughts, findings from elsewhere, as a  modeller on this forum any more. 

R

Richie, in fairness I did not compare the Silverfox version to your weed spray coach, I simply stated the SF GSV "is not bad" as a GSV. I never compared it to your weed spray version which I have seen in the flesh and it was mighty impressive with the extra details such as the CCTV cameras, etc. I have never even seen an SF weed spray coach, didn't even know they had one, the only other one I was aware of was IFM (I'm stopping now lest I cause indigestion at the mere mention and resultant bowel movements). Yes the SF GSV is not remotely on the same page as the MM cravens and most likely nowhere remotely near anything IRM may or may not produce in the future should the numbers stack up (btw I hope they do and would love to have an IRM quality GSV or two). Unfortunately any time SF or IFM stuff is mentioned by me in any form of positive light, it seems to be like a red rag to a bull, which is not intended btw. You seem to be the creative technical genius behind IRM, the Steve Wozniak as such, but you have to accept not every other product will meet your nor IRM's exceptionally high standards, and that some folk may be content with them for what they are or were at a point in time. Lots of folk are content with SF GSVs in the absence of anything better. I kit bashed a few myself but it was a lot of work, so I can appreciate for many an RTR SF may be more convenient and bring contentment despite their limited scale detailing. I won't mention aquatic birds. :)

As a customer of IRM I feel I am still entitled to express opinions or my personal preferences, enthusiasm or lack of enthusiasm for some prototypes. This is no reflection on any models that IRM have or may produce of same. Purely personally I have no interest in yellow PW stock because it does not fit into my preferred era, nor my nostalgia memory, its just a personal opinion and a personal preference. My personal preference that I like CIE open beet wagons and H-Vans is merely one persons opinion, it doesn't make it right or wrong. Anybody can take it or leave it. I have been delighted with the IRM models I have bought so far and have praised them. The likes of SF and IFM are not really competitors of IRM, they are in a different market space and clearly not of the same standard until something better comes along. But should they become 'unmentionables'?  Once this forum used to be a great community space where folk could openly and freely discuss all matters concerning model railways including trade matters and to discuss and share information about various products on the market. It would be a great shame if you felt "prevented from sharing 'your' experiences, thoughts, findings from elsewhere, as a modeller", or indeed if this forum could not discuss products without risking bun fights, :( , and for that I apologise if you find my mere opinions that upsetting. It is a broad church, from maestros like Eoin's brass master pieces, to folks who enjoy operating 'Thomas' table top layouts. No hard feelings!

Hi everyone,

There is room to discuss all manufacturers, from ourselves, to Murphy Models, to Silver Fox to kit manufacturers such as JM Design and SSM etc. There is no limit to who can be discussed, once it is fair, balanced and respectful. We have had to pull members about this before, such as the delivery of the MM 121 as it was disrespectful and childish, and we really rather we didnt have to do that. For the most part those rules are respected, which is great, and a very much isolated incidents.

In the same vein, peoples diverse interests should be respected too, so per way yellow, black and tan, diesel, steam etc should not be run down and slagged off. If you don't have an interest in it, or if it doesn't float your boat, fine. There is little point in telling the whole forum though. It serves little purpose. There are aspects of Irish railways and model railways that bore the arse off us all, me included, but I don't feel the need to repeat that ad nauseam as at the end of the day it makes someone look a bit silly. Stick to what floats your boat, not what sinks it, because that just comes across as moany and a bit tiresome.

Finally, can we return this thread to it's original subject please? Cheers.

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So let me get the latter part of thread ---straight,  Warbonnet just announced the fertilizer wagon which i have great interest in, will be modeled as a boat. 

I looked up google to see what project 42 means, wow! many many many answers, but not 42 foot',  or marilyn's skirt

Glenderg calls a spade a spade, but fertilizer wasnt spread with a spade, however, the beet wagons, after loading were, if any fell off while loading, a spade like rake tool (beat fork) was used to clear up the final few roots that fell, i know this as I live beside Carlow and a local ol' lads loaded beat tween athy and carlow, i even have the tool he used to load a wagon from a bridge. its some job hoisting beet up to them wagons, but some i am told were loaded with gravity from a bridge in other parts, how did they get the beet out? no way could any forklift get into the corners of the wagons. i must ask the locals

The yellow plough,  and the weed spray wagon, :) any colour makes black n tan," orangeitis"  coaches more interesting, but having watched the weed spray train videos, i cannot believe the way the workers walked so close to the weed spray as it was spraying toxicity on flora, theres one clip of a crossing gate , jes the poor bloke gets sprayed with residual spray..thats murder, in my book, come to think of it so is the latter part of this thread . 

• Confused 2

Hi everyone,

I am curious to know anything in relation to pricing. And idea as a rough guess when we can order? I am prepping to place an order for a couple of the A's. My heart is set to get 4 of them as a min but I also am looking to see besides the 121 what else is on the cards for release this year. We are spoilt today for choice and thanks to everyone for all efforts to bring products to the market. 

If it was mentioned here in the past, I am sorry, been a rough week at work, 8 hours sleep since Monday night and boss told me rest until the morn. Joy world of IT.

Mark

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mmie353 said:

Hi everyone,

I am curious to know anything in relation to pricing. And idea as a rough guess when we can order? I am prepping to place an order for a couple of the A's. My heart is set to get 4 of them as a min but I also am looking to see besides the 121 what else is on the cards for release this year. We are spoilt today for choice and thanks to everyone for all efforts to bring products to the market. 

If it was mentioned here in the past, I am sorry, been a rough week at work, 8 hours sleep since Monday night and boss told me rest until the morn. Joy world of IT.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Check out our website for published pricing on releases so far. A classes are from €189.95 with the special edition A1 €220. The 42ft liner flats are €100 for a pack of two, with bundle deals available, and the rest of the 42 range will be more or less the same. https://irishrailwaymodels.com/

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 1