Project 42 Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

The wait is finally over. March 3rd has arrived, and we can now reveal the most ambitious range ever announced by Irish Railway Models. It’s disappointing we could not do this at our planned IRM Social event, but we’re sure that our 2018 range will warm you up with excitement during this cold snap!

We are releasing no less than six completely new models over the next 12 months, not including the Tara Mines wagon due in June! We have put the Taras on pre-order, and almost 20% have sold already. Remember, you get 10% off a rake (all five red oxide packs) if you use the discount code you got in the ballast packs bought from us directly. Click here to secure your pre-order.

CIE Fertiliser Wagon

5a99713d80b78_No.606FertWagon.thumb.jpg.13d0c4385eb20d851ba33656d931ab02.jpg

Project 4 will be the distinctive CIE bogie fertiliser wagon, an iconic Irish wagon which could be found across the system for over 30 years. This will be the first wagon in our ‘Project 42’ series, which sees a number of wagon releases based around the humble 42ft flat wagon.

A total of 90 were built by CIE to carry pallets of fertiliser from the IFI plant near Arklow, Co. Wicklow across the country. The IRM release will consist of multiple packs of two wagons in a variety of markings to allow the formation of a prototypical train. The Ferts are due late Q2 2018.

CIE Ballast Plough Van

0201.thumb.jpg.282eb8d00709aea255e2483bd2d2532b.jpg

Book-ending the ballast hopper wagons already made by IRM, the CIE ballast plough van will be project 5. Four of these vans were built by CIE in 1978 and were used to spread the ballast dropped from the hopper wagons.

0203.thumb.jpg.3f1eeced15b4afa8b7e3b1a972438eff.jpg

0202.thumb.jpg.4c2a9c0a09c9208ad7faa59c8cf1910e.jpg

These will be highly exclusive, made in very limited numbers and will be released in packs of two vans in original CIE yellow livery and the later IE livery they wore before withdrawal in 2013.

5a9971cd2c215_PloughVanNW.thumb.JPG.282126fdfc89823391d4f61a0775e855.JPG

The vans will feature a full lighting package including interior lights and tail lamps with analogue switch and DCC operation. CAD is complete, and this will be in stock in Q3 2018.

Guinness Train

render01.thumb.jpg.a6ca29605c7df8a7a24f0ccb2befe4af.jpg

5a99723931a34_Guinness42ftflat.thumb.jpg.a94f4a6227d810d2f410f1e3d88e42f7.jpg

The ubiquitous CIE 42ft flat wagon, as used as the chassis on the fertiliser wagons, allows us to offer a variety of authentic freight train formations. Guinness trains, featuring keg cages and loads to replicate another iconic Irish freight flow, forms IRM project 6 and they are due in Q3.

Modern Spoil Train

5a9972759d2cf_SpoilPortarlington.thumb.jpg.3c2390e3edf8b69f80cbdc7bbe4d51c0.jpg

We want to offer something else from the current scene to complement our Tara Mines wagon, so project 7 will see the modern spoil train complete with the spoil containers used on current permanent way traffic across the country. This is also due in Q3.

Weedsprayer Pack

5a9972bca8a65_WandererWeedspray.thumb.jpg.0b1458c95082f3ef23f2ba9a17d29830.jpg

Picture courtesy of The Wanderer

Another current train (and a gricers favourite!) due in Q3 is Project 8, which will be the weedsprayer train with tanks and CIE container. The train will be a special triple pack made in a limited production run, featuring the wasp stripe headboards which can be affixed to your 141/181 or 071. The weedsprayer coach itself is under consideration as a future model, subject to demand. If you want it, let us know!

Iconic Liners

0101.thumb.jpg.2b7785fdab35ba19e15fbd91b8a2e2bf.jpg

Finally, thanks to a collaboration with C-Rail Intermodal, the iconic Bell liners will be available for the first time in accurate RTR format, with 40 ft containers on IRM 42ft flats being released. These containers will use new tooling from C-Rail to give an alternative pattern to other Bell releases. These containers will have new identities not previously released by C-Rail. We are also looking into other containers that ran on the flats, such as B&I containers. The headboard will be a separately applied item that comes in a baggie. 

0103.thumb.jpg.3175d0c7428c264042ae6930685d3ae2.jpg

There will be packs of flats featuring the humble CIE 20ft container, which is being tooled as part of our weedspray train. The 20ft container will be released as a separate standalone item too to pose on the back of trucks and yards on your layouts. The liner packs form IRM project number 9 and they are due in Q4. Bare wagons may also be released later, allowing customers to add containers they already own

0102.thumb.jpg.6a3de17265c7d8d753e3f11761a243d7.jpg

The container, Guinness and spoil wagons will be released in packs of two with a variety of running numbers. Prices for all new releases will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Fran (on behalf of the IRM Team - Patrick, Richie and Stephen)

0101.jpg

0203.jpg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 4

Wow what a bomb of an announcement an explosion of quality models and all of them trains I absolutely love.

For someone who loves our railways and modelling them this is simply pure joy.

Brilliant choices for everyone and the A Class meltdown has begunxD.

Buzzing

Rich,

Edited by RedRich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this is the most resounding vote of confidence in the Irish model railway market to date, so it's up to us to support it. 

Is the weed sprayer coach based on a Mk1 steam generating van?  If it is that must really boost the possibility of it appearing. 

• Like 2

Well done lads, 

Nice to see the wagons and other bits coming it but personally I do think it is a bit aggressive to release so many models in one year., I think 7 was mentioned. There is only so much cash people can spend on model trains these days. No sure what other people think?

So in a nutshell , Q1:, packs of Taras,  Q2: Packs Of Ferts.  Q3: Ploughs, Spoil Wagons , Weedspray, 42 fts and containers. Q4@ Liner packs. With Summer hols Q3 is going be a tough Qtr for some lads.

Defo a plough pack for me. Sorry Des :/

The Exclusive Plough remark, I imagine it does not preclude producing this in CIE // IR liveries at a late stage.

Looking forward to seeing these on ye're layouts  in the future.

• Like 2

Just now, aclass007 said:

I'm really looking forward to a Bell liner! In what way will the new containers differ from the Bells already released? 

They will have different running numbers and will be an older pattern of container design, which was still very long lived! 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Georgeconna said:

Well done lads, 

Nice to see the wagons and other bits coming it but personally I do think it is a bit aggressive to release so many models in one year., I think 7 was mentioned. There is only so much cash people can spend on model trains these days. No sure what other people think?

So in a nutshell , Q1:, packs of Taras,  Q2: Packs Of Ferts.  Q3: Ploughs, Spoil Wagons , Weedspray, 42 fts and containers. Q4@ Liner packs. With Summer hols Q3 is going be a tough Qtr for some lads.

Defo a plough pack for me. Sorry Des :/

The Exclusive Plough remark, I imagine it does not preclude producing this in CIE // IR liveries at a late stage.

Looking forward to seeing these on ye're layouts  in the future.

Hi George,

I hear what you're saying, but we will make them as affordable as possible so lads can build up to them over the weeks months. When locos come out they come out in large batches in multiple liveries and lads manage to buy them up. These will be lower cost items so can be stretched to I'm sure. It's a lot of stuff, but with the rapid sales of our previous releases we firmly believe the market is there. 

As for the ploughs, there will be early and late liveries released. We'll have more news on them as they get closer to release! 

Cheers,

Fran

4 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Damn you IRM.I only started on my two plough vans yesterday to compliment your fantastic ballast wagons :facepalm: Anybody fancy two partly built plough vans... Anybody ?

Sorry dude! 

9 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I think this is the most resounding vote of confidence in the Irish model railway market to date, so it's up to us to support it. 

Is the weed sprayer coach based on a Mk1 steam generating van?  If it is that must really boost the possibility of it appearing. 

It sure is Gareth.... ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aclass007 said:

Will the 42' series of wagons feature rotating axle caps, like the Taras? From the pictures, it looks like they might....... 

They will indeed,  part of the appeal of the Tara was to give us this bogie to be reused on other wagons! 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

Excellent selection of releases IRM. Take a bow.

Couple of questions.....

Will the livery on the ferts be as pictured?

Will you be producing the older type of keg carrier? 

Will the weedspray pack be produced in current livery or older CIE type livery? Unsure when the livery details changed or indeed when current version of weedspray train was introduced.

No interest in the spoil wagons personally as too modern, but a nice addition to the range. Ferts, plough vans and 42' definitely of interest to me. Weedspray depending on period modelled.

Thanks lads and best of luck with the new release programme. Sure to be a winner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Excellent selection of releases IRM. Take a bow.

Couple of questions.....

Will the livery on the ferts be as pictured?

Will you be producing the older type of keg carrier? 

Will the weedspray pack be produced in current livery or older CIE type livery? Unsure when the livery details changed or indeed when current version of weedspray train was introduced.

No interest in the spoil wagons personally as too modern, but a nice addition to the range. Ferts, plough vans and 42' definitely of interest to me. Weedspray depending on period modelled.

Thanks lads and best of luck with the new release programme. Sure to be a winner.

Hi Noel,

No problem, happy to answer them as best I can.

We havent fully decided on the Fert liveries as of yet, but some did carry roundels for a good long time so I can see us doing them in that livery. 

We will only be producing this kind of keg carrier for now. 

The older weedspray rake contained the old crew van, a modified Bredin coach, and the tanks were on 4 wheelers. Our rake represents the units after the removal of 4 wheeled stock on the network. The transfer of the tanks from 4 wheelers to 42' flats took place 2005/6 season as far as I know so this is the model we'll be doing.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Fran

• Thanks 1

Congratulations guys on your very impressive product line up for 2018.  Ferts and Guinness wagons will by my 2018 acquisitions.  If there ever was a non-yellow livery variant of the plough then a pair of those too (i.e. brown or bauxite as I don't do modern yellow stuff).

49 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Damn! Damn! Damn!

My plans for an exclusively 1950s / 60s collection is now up in smoke!

Hmmm - yes me too, but A class product line up even without the holy grail :) 

35 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

There is only so much cash people can spend on model trains these days. No sure what other people think?

It sure is ambitious and yes I too have wondered just how deep the well is, but I'm sure the lads have done their home work and have used customer data from the first two projects as data input for their business plan.

Happy days we've never had it so good.

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Well done lads, 

Have to agree George, and with the  121's hopefully arriving this year its a serious amount of money needed

With packs of 2 wagons costing around €70 - €80 a pop and the 121's at least twice that, costly times ahead

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Fertilisers were top of my 'wants' list and I shall also be having the Guinness, container flats and a couple of Plough Vans. Add these to the 121's and also the UK NER G5's J36's & CR 812's also in the pipeline elsewhere and its just as well I was ordered off the drink 40 years ago and my eyesight is too poor for me to drive.

Exciting times; if we could only sell the house and get moved nearer civilisation I might be able to get started on the new layout. (s)

Ernie 

• Thanks 1

Stunning selection, you boys have been working hard, well done.

Irish railway modelling has turned a big corner at high speed.

what are your thoughts on A & C class loco's in the future? They would sell well with so many different liveries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, popeye said:

Stunning selection, you boys have been working hard, well done.

Irish railway modelling has turned a big corner at high speed.

what are your thoughts on A & C class loco's in the future? They would sell well with so many different liveries.

Thanks Patrick.

Re the A and C. I'm sure they will both emerge over the next few years, but two locos coming on the market this year (121) doesn't help anyone, not least customers pockets. They will happen in time :)

• Like 2

"I thought you were going to that train thing tonight"

"I was, but I changed my mind"

"But that's all you've talked about for the last few weeks"

" I know, I know. I thought it would be nicer to spend Saturday night with you. Besides there was all that expense. You know the travelling, the food, some drink and the overnight stay. So I decided against it and decided on a nice Saturday night with you instead.

So as I am staying in with you tonight, would you mind if I bought some wagons for the layout with the money instead?"

(Nailed it, me thinks:D)

• Funny 8