Project 42 Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

On 3/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, WaYSidE said:

how did they get the beet out? no way could any forklift get into the corners of the wagons. i must ask the locals

Sugar beet was literally washed out of trucks and railway wagons using a water canon at the factories.

May be some clips of beet being unloaded in the RTE archive, used to be on the 9 0 Clock news nearly every year in the 70s & 80s.

The water canon/jets were mounted on a steel structure in the unloading area, at Mallow in its final years trucks were unloaded during the day and trains at night

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

The bullied corrugated open wagons commonly referred to as 'beet' wagons were originally just general purpose open goods wagons built by the thousands but late in their careers used for the transport of sugar beet in what was referred to as single beet wagons, later the bodies assembled one on top of the other to form the double beet wagons on a different chassis. The open bullied wagons were used for transporting all manner of other goods and general merchandise including sacked agri products, bags, barrels, loose bulk materials, small containers, boxes, timber, tyres, cable drums, builders materials, etc. Along with H-Vans they dominated Irish goods train traffic from the 1950s until the early 1970s before the freight modernisation program kicked in heralding the arrival of container traffic, folk lift trucks, pallet wagons of various types, bogie wagons and uniform block trains that were fitted with brakes doing away with the iconic brake vans which used to be seen at the end of all goods trains formations. In the 1960s these open wagons were seen everywhere on the rail network and filled sidings in virtually every station they were the corner stone of what we now call freight traffic.

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

11 hours ago, Mayner said:

Sugar beet was literally washed out of trucks and railway wagons using a water canon at the factories.

May be some clips of beet being unloaded in the RTE archive, used to be on the 9 0 Clock news nearly every year in the 70s & 80s.

The water canon/jets were mounted on a steel structure in the unloading area, at Mallow in its final years trucks were unloaded during the day and trains at night

The facility for unloading at Mallow used the same system (Water canons) which is still used in Switzerland. I have uploaded a video of the unloading operation at Aarberg; one of 2 Swiss Beet processing facilities which are still in use today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/46824251314/in/dateposted-public/

The Swiss not being in the EEC and therefore not subject to their decisions ,didn't have to decimate their Sugar Beet industry some 14 years ago and the industry still produces around a million tons of beets the majority of which is railed to the plants for processing.

In addition the waste material or Zaf is often railed back for fertiliser and the refined sugar forwarded by rail.

Beet wagons are just the standard bogie EAOS open which outside the Beet season can be used for a multitude of different loads.

Ernie

Somewhat off TOPIC, apologies!

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1
  • Informative 4

22 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

The Swiss not being in the EEC and therefore not subject to their decisions ,didn't have to decimate their Sugar Beet industry some 14 years ago and the industry still produces around a million tons of beets the majority of which is railed to the plants for processing.

Funnily enough EU don't seem to have been impressed with Greencore decision to close the plant.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sugar-factory-closure-needless-1.867073

Potentially looks like the closure was driven more by a windfall of EU compensation and potential profit from selling the site at the height of the property boom, than a EU poilicy decision.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Now that the ploughs have arrived the A is motoring along in the tooling shop, and more bubbles are on the way, you may have been wondering about the 'forgotten child' of the IRM stable, the 42ft project. 

We had hoped to begin releases of the 42ft flat range on a staggered basis from late 2018 onwards, but we underestimated by a tad (okay, a lot!) how long the project would take to fully tool and design. The fertilizer wagon in particular was a challenge to get right and to a state that we were happy with. Tooling the project had to take place together to ensure the best fit and finish and compatibility between loads. This meant that tooling took a long. long time to complete. 

However, as the below pictures will show, tooling is finally almost at an end! 

1.thumb.jpg.cbe2e71b3d4c81171f3a804574b4b9bb.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.2714c1269ff9fc23b34dedc905e52b6c.jpg

We are due our first samples within the next two weeks, and should they be up to scratch then we will push ahead with the liners straight into production. We can expect them into stock in July, all going well.

3.thumb.jpg.0108e5ba2ce382e67761279856956d7a.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.0a5bd023192b095b10d155269a4856e2.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.20d0c0d168ec93ae8b6387836dc6c716.jpg

We will launch the fert wagon for preorder once we are happy with the samples and know that production is getting closer, with an accurate release date in place. So, watch this space! 

Thanks to all of you who have ordered liner packs so far, and we look forward to landing them here in the coming weeks. As soon as we have samples, we will post them here and on our website!

Cheers,

Fran

2.jpg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 2

Tooling looks good and trying to work in reverse I think I can see spray tank, spoil sprues and the basic chassis shape , plenty to keep you busy and expensive of course as others have found !   5th pic righthand I guess is part of floor with bogie centres and brake details - all very clever, looking forward to ferts being on the order pages soon - even if the wallet might not !

thanks gents and keep up the good work..

Robert    

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
1259206365_BI.thumb.JPG.25a3e639b9ca829db55e1a598b42a155.JPG

Hi everyone,

Our liners have been a long time coming, but they will certainly be worth the wait! Our factory is working hard on their assembly as we speak, and after some final checks are complete they will be delivered to us just before the ferts.

Our tooling delays means a production slot was missed, so they will now be with us just after the SDMRC Model Railway Exhibition 2019, reaching our shores in November. However, the Ferts wont be far behind, as will the Guinness Kegs which we will debut at the Dublin show!

Bell.thumb.JPG.f45910ce83b6831fe0343e946a24e06a.JPG

You can rest assured that we wont be announcing any more IRM projects so far in advance, and with rolling stock at least, putting them on pre-order as early as we did with the liners. Lesson learned by us! We have several irons in the fire, but they wont be announced till our existing decks are clear. Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding. 

As for the A? We will have some very exciting news on that very soon. Watch this space.... :)

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:
1259206365_BI.thumb.JPG.25a3e639b9ca829db55e1a598b42a155.JPG

Hi everyone,

Our liners have been a long time coming, but they will certainly be worth the wait! Our factory is working hard on their assembly as we speak, and after some final checks are complete they will be delivered to us just before the ferts.

Our tooling delays means a production slot was missed, so they will now be with us just after the SDMRC Model Railway Exhibition 2019, reaching our shores in November. However, the Ferts wont be far behind, as will the Guinness Kegs which we will debut at the Dublin show!

Bell.thumb.JPG.f45910ce83b6831fe0343e946a24e06a.JPG

You can rest assured that we wont be announcing any more IRM projects so far in advance, and with rolling stock at least, putting them on pre-order as early as we did with the liners. Lesson learned by us! We have several irons in the fire, but they wont be announced till our existing decks are clear. Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding. 

As for the A? We will have some very exciting news on that very soon. Watch this space.... :)

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran...:tumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

Here is a sneak peek at our liner packs as they near completion in China. They have been a long time coming and a highly challenging project to complete, but we are in the very final stages with delivery slated for early December. They look excellent with the C Rail B&I containers!

1319937041_BIPack1production.thumb.jpg.87ea12fa323f3a2845da6a67e63c8be0.jpg

Unfortunately they are sold out already, but some MAY open up due to cancellations. Keep an eye on our website and on here in the coming days for an update!
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Sold out. Wow that's interesting. Let us know when they have actually arrived at your Dublin depot.

Must say if I didn’t know you better Noel I would say that comment comes across as most sarcastic. I’m sure that was not your intention at all of course! 😊

Everyone who has ordered, paid up or not paid up will be notified when they come into stock, like we have done with all our order.

Many thanks!

Fran

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Must say if I didn’t know you better Noel I would say that comment comes across as most sarcastic. I’m sure that was not your intention at all of course! 😊

Everyone who has ordered, paid up or not paid up will be notified when they come into stock, like we have done with all our order.

Many thanks!

Fran

It's sarcasm Fran, mores the pity as that pic of the wagons has given the rest of us a huge buzz for when they arrive. Whats bizarre is that it actually got a like.

Rich,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DB JOE said:

Sold out????? Jeeeeeeezzzzz!!!! Damn and blast it!!!!!

Eeek! this caught me unawares also. I got no indication that these were near sold out before delivery but I probably took my eye off the ball as so busy at work. I needed a couple of rakes of B&I and Bells and even the CIE containers. Bummer! (sorry)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Many thanks!

Fran

Sorry Fran don’t understand your bizarre  reply. Especially after our recent chat at show. You posted they are on way and due December so I simply requested to let us know when they’ve arrived. There was no sarcasm implied nor intended. You seem to pick on me and read things into some of my posts that aren’t there. Looking forward to these and hearing when they’ve arrived in IRM towers.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Sorry Fran don’t understand your bizarre  reply. Especially after our recent chat at show. You posted they are on way and due December so I simply requested to let us know when they’ve arrived. There was no sarcasm implied nor intended. You seem to pick on me and read things into some of my posts that aren’t there. Looking forward to these and hearing when they’ve arrived in IRM towers.

As you can see above Noel it wasn't just myself who thought your comment sounded sarcastic. To be honest I was disappointed when I read it, but assumed you just worded incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

As you can see above Noel it wasn't just myself who thought your comment sounded sarcastic. To be honest I was disappointed when I read it, but assumed you just worded incorrectly. 

There is previous for these kind of barbed or sarcastic comments, that's why there are reactions when they are made in these posts. If someone has a gripe or problem about availability then contact one of the lads on here by pm or make contact through the company website. The lads are always willing to talk to their customers and look after their customers.

Having a moan to others about how you are not satisfied with delays or similar does get back to those people and that is why there are these kind of reactions. It's only a few months since Fran was singled out for a tongue lashing (unjustly) on here. The sheer hard work and hours put into two company's and running this group is a testament to how the guys want the best for everyone. What was said was a sly dig.

Anyway back on topic to these babies I can't wait and as said above some wagon sets without loads would be most welcome.

Rich,

• Like 2

It saddens me to read remarks on these forums critical of those who have invested, are investing, and continue to invest in projects from which we benefit. 

We enjoy our hobby at no risk to ourselves, our families or our homes. We cannot complain when an item is no longer available. We may perhaps be unfortunate due to our  lack of available funds - other important financial commitments, etc, at the time of a products launch. These are not reasons for our blaming the manufacturer, or re seller, for our having missed-the-boat. Perhaps the rapid emptying of the shelf will encourage the production of further items, or a re-run of the model we are unable to purchase! 

Commissioning a model railway product, be it a wagon, coach, locomotive or any other item related to our hobby is extremely expensive.  Years ago, I discussed at length, the commissioning of accurate CIE cattle wagons with DAPOL.  Before anything would happen, I was required to outlay £10,000. Yes £10,000. This was for the design of the moulds.  Not the production of them.   Needless to say - I decided not to proceed.  The financial risk, for me, was too great.

So, please think, before you write criticising the individuals and businesses who service our needs and pleasures in our hobby. 

May I thank each business and business individual for supporting us and our hobby, whether-or-not, I have missed the opportunity to purchase their product/s.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well said OB.

We are very fortunate to be living in a golden era for RTR modellers who are served to manufacturers/suppliers who are willing to take the risk with huge financial investment for a very small market.  The models that are scheduled to hit the market in the next few weeks will put a strain on all our budgets but as this recent set of exchanges shows, some of the models won't be on the shelves for long, so, buy them while they are available.

Thanks to all the manufacturers/suppliers (big and small) who have lifted Irish railway modelling to the heights it rightly deserves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Did not get any myself!, Not too worried, I imagine they will be round again at some stage. Looks like I'll be building Whestys ones for the time being.

For lads that may be stuck Is there any being allocated to Marks?

Hi George,

You are correct, they are sold out with us, but Mark, Chris Dyer and Dave Bracken will have limited quantities. So, grab them before they go!

Cheers!

Fran