Project 42 Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

As a customer I have voted confidence in IRMs great products over the years by putting money where my mouth was, and expect this to continue. Looking forward to running A class locos on the layout in due course, and a Deltic hauling BR ExLMS rakes. 

IRM_IMG_4340.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

5 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi Noel,

Your continued custom with IRM is much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Fran

Cheers, most of the boxes are empty with the stock on the layout being used, except for one or two wagons in the weathering queue.

• Like 2

OK as I have been experimenting with the Liner wagon bogies I just thought I would share my findings. 

For the last few days I have been running with the 10 wagon set with no modification other than removing the black axle cover at the bottom of the bogie side frame. 
Then very gently putting a small puff of Kadee 231 dry graphite powder in the area of the axle uncovered and then replacing the cover.  
With this method even the Murphy Models Baby GM’s can easily start and pull the rake of 10 wagons.

I have never had any derailment issues either pulling or pushing but I have large radius point work and 24inch radius curves. 
Really happy with my purchases now that I have a solution and have been running for 5 days without any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have been using the same solution (Kadee 231 dry grapite) except I don't remove the black axle cap, just squeeze some into a bottle cap and apply with a small paint brush to the back of where the wheel axel sits. I don't take any wheels or caps off and it seems to work just fine.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Timber wagons are 62 foot and as built had differing bogies.- built as container wagons but some now part of rail/ steel liner trains .  Which might be a new project having built three timber wagons from Hornby flats and the 3D prints intended  for the 4 wheel version.

At least the 47 foot container shares the 42 foot bogie  as do more modern PW/ MOW wagons so still mileage in the bogie tools. 

I suspect the round buffered 42 foot flat on ridemaster bogies would go well with the earlier versions of Irish locos.   

bogie cement and Ammonia wagons look like the next signature models for those who do not want to go down the kit route.   

What would please me is if the boys in the palace could see a way to sell some complete bogies in say 8 bogie packs to allow up grading of older wagons from the MIR range and perhaps help folk who are not to keen on brass soldering.

sorry if off topic and a bit wish listy! 

Robert    

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Robert Shrives said:

What would please me is if the boys in the palace could see a way to sell some complete bogies in say 8 bogie packs to allow up grading of older wagons from the MIR range and perhaps help folk who are not to keen on brass soldering.

Yes, this would be wonderful!

Lovely 1994 footage of a Bell Liner train with a CIE 20' box at the end, starting around 21:40:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railer said:

There are more loads that can be done for the 42s. The open top 42ft containers for sugar beat and also the same if not similar containers for coal on the WRC.

The coal wagons on the WRC were on 20ft wagons, so would would have to wait for project 20.. Although there is a picture in rails through the west of a 42ft flat with 2 of the Amficon 20fts carrying grain from Foynes to Ballina..

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, MOGUL said:

The coal wagons on the WRC were on 20ft wagons, so would would have to wait for project 20.. Although there is a picture in rails through the west of a 42ft flat with 2 of the Amficon 20fts carrying grain from Foynes to Ballina..

Any information about the year? 

What years did the sugar beet operate with the bulk containers on 42' flats?

13 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

The 40 'beet containers on 42' wagons only featured in the last season 2005/2006 of the beet

Sad to see that they began operation of 40' wagons just before beet finished (kinda like the anecdotal refurbishing of stations and lines before they were closed)

Interesting to see how the conveyor funnel the beets through both when loading mid-wagon, with one shutting off as it approaches the end of the wagon only to have them alternate again as it passes over the coupling to the next wagon

Good images of the double height corrugated beets and that single experimental blue/grey 20' wagon at 4:10  

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 12:44 PM, murphaph said:

Any information about the year? 

What years did the sugar beet operate with the bulk containers on 42' flats?

The caption has a date of 23 September 1994.. I don't think the grain traffic to/from Ballina lasted very long, but is the only working i have seen a picture of that has the Amficon 20fts on a 42ft flat instead of a 20ft flat 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 14/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Warbonnet said:

The pre production flat used above is actually the one for the spoil train as it was a slightly different shade we had to approve. The red oxide bogies used on the liner flats is period correct. The painted springs is only a relatively recent introduction.

When did the black bogies come about, roughly? Was that something in the last ten years or so?

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

When did the black bogies come about, roughly? Was that something in the last ten years or so?

Yes, if even that. They were all-brown from the start of fitted bogie wagons, right through fertiliser bogie times, and onwards. I am not sure exactly when black bogies started appearing, but as you say comparatively recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, if even that. They were all-brown from the start of fitted bogie wagons, right through fertiliser bogie times, and onwards. I am not sure exactly when black bogies started appearing, but as you say comparatively recently.

It was actually one of your 2013 posts (the year, not the number of posts) where I saw you say that you had only recently seen them turned out in black!

On 27/9/2013 at 12:13 PM, jhb171achill said:

Pretty much everything else - sheep-dipped in brown! Though I notice now that newly serviced container flats and other wagons at Limerick have black bogies and brown bodies / drawgear.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A couple of P42 questions...

Yeah, I'm that thicko who always has millions of questions.

IRM have three P42 chassis;

1. Brown bogies and unmarked chassis (1971 until when? )

2. Brown bogies and yellow markings on chassis

3. Black bogies and unmarked chassis (2013 onwards? )

When did each of the three variants run from and until?

Thanks to @jhb171achill, we know that the black bogie variant was relatively new in September 2013, and I assume runs as is to this day.

The weedspray ran on 42' flats from 2005 / 2006, thanks to @Warbonnet for posting that, and presumably they were brown bogies with yellow markings on the chassis until late 2013, then black bogies until withdrawal in mid 2018?

The fleet of 90 fertilizer wagons ran in that livery from when until when? I remember earlier in this thread, somebody was saying that the fertilizer wagons also ran in a different livery?

Some of the 40T fertilizer wagons were upgraded to 48T wagons to carry Bord Na Mona peat briquettes, according to @h gricer and Mayner. When did these run from and until? HG said that they only ran in rakes of eight when hauling peat briquettes, not ten, and posted a photo dated 1993.

One rake of ten fertilizer wagons was converted around 1994 for removing obsolete lineside poles, according to @mphoey and Mayner.

The Guinness crates that we have are the revised version, ie G2, I understand, with higher sides on the cages. When did the G1 keg cages run from and until, and when did the G2 ones run from? Guinness traffic ended in 2006. Thanks to @Mayner for posting that.

The IRM containers, - which ran from when until when?

CIE 20'

Bell 40' (late 70's until early 90's? )

B&I 40' (late 70's until early 90's? )

As an aside, from @Arran's C-Rail range, which of the following ran from when until when?

Bell 20'

B&I 20'

Hapag-Lloyd 40' 8'6"

GCATainer 20' spider tank

Bruhn 20' spider tank

CAI red 40' 8'6"

K-Line red 40' 8'6"

Tiphook brown 40' 8'6"

Cronos brown 40' 8'6"

Freightliner all red 40' 8'6"

Freightliner red and white 40' 8'6"

Freightliner red and yellow 40' 8'6"

ONE pink 40' 8'6"

I have loads more container questions, but that's enough for today.

Thanks all!!!

• Like 3

"........The fleet of 90 fertilizer wagons ran in that livery from when until when? I remember earlier in this thread, somebody was saying that the fertilizer wagons also ran in a different livery?......."

The only liveries the ferts ever had were both initially all brown - every single detail, bogies, couplings, the lot - typical sheep-dip style, so time-honiured with most CIE (and many other Irish) wagons.

Quite simply, up to 1987 they were outshopped with a CIE roundel on the second panel from the left, and after 1987 without any roundel.

Numerals and other markings stayed the same, and bogies were never black.

Now - disclaimer time. The above is how a newly-painted one would look. But, as you'll see on the IRM models, panels got swopped about to the Nth degree; the panel with the roundel would end up appearing anywhere, sometimes two to a side if doors were swopped, sometimes none, and often in later days not only the second from left, but ANY panel could end up being replaced by one with a logo.

Many got so filthy and worn that the paint was almost all peeled off one panel or more (and the one beside it painted quite new!). Brake dust covering and weathering could make the logo or number look brownish - IRM have cleverly produced one variant with a badly weathered "roundel" but pristine white number! Nice move.....

So, two liveries, but CIE logos all over the place in practice due to door-swopping.

• Like 1