Jouef HDI for 630 euro landed cost..... is this some kind of joke?

Rate this topic

burnthebox

Hi guys, I know I’ve said this before but, this has got to be the end of model railways....! See for your selfs,

BTB

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HORNBY-R768-CIE-CLASS-35-HYMEK-DIESEL-LOCO-ORANGE-BLACK-IRISH-LIVERY-V-G-C/384062532687?hash=item596be92c4f:g:VUYAAOSwmX5gXbZu

OK I’V sorted the name out, it’s a Class 35 otherwise known as a HYMEK...😀

Edited by burnthebox
Text
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

Not sure which is worse, the fact that it is wrong, or that somebody is hoping to get 130 quid for it. 

On reflection though, it has to be the latter. While I wouldn't spend money myself on collecting old model railway stuff, I can see the charm in some of these things and will happi!y spend a few minutes at shows (remember those?) watching Hornby template whizz round in a cloud of ozone.

Like most things, gaffs occur and our hobby is not immune - but can't help thinking somebody tried to pull a fast one with a CIE 37 and actually shows the validity of have some sort of 'era labelling' as discussed on another thread. If so, an category now required - fake!

• Like 1

This has to be some kind of joke coming in at over 630 euro landed cost for any southern Irish purchaser.
In all honesty it looks like something someone found in the bin (probably buried in the attic).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224427255044?ul_noapp=true

My equivalent money will be going on two new IRM Class A's with sound decoders.
In 10 years time we'll see how these compare value wise.....

Thanks to Paddy Murphy and IRM we now a choice of vastly superior models to the likes of this.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Lordy

the father in law has 12 of them in the attic that he bought in a job lot when the Jouef factory in Shannon went bust 40 years ago - I must tell him he's sitting on a fortune!

I'll track this just to see if it sells....

Well its salad days for the Irish modeling scene - there was I balking at paying 200 euros for a 141 this time last year and now the going rate is at least 300 euros plus - this is bitcoin territory. Obviously a lot of folks with lots of cash building up in bank accounts with little to spend it on in these lockdown days - good luck to them and I hope a good proportion of them stick around  when the world opens up again next year....

I, on the other hand, have been financially hammered ( well the model train funds are non existent for the forseeable) as I am in the aviation retail and hospitality sector ...existing on 5% of what I was taking in Feb 2020............surreal does not come close!!............Still I have my health and my sanity ( except when I go on ebay) and I really must stress to the big fella up in the clouds that I think I have now had my quota of once in a generation/lifetime/century events impact on me!....

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

I hope things turn around for you soon Edo. Surreal is right. The only good thing is, that the first thing most people will do when they can is start travelling again! We haven't been home in two and half years. We were booked to visit Easter last year but yeah, that never happened. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I hope things turn around for you soon Edo. Surreal is right. The only good thing is, that the first thing most people will do when they can is start travelling again! We haven't been home in two and half years. We were booked to visit Easter last year but yeah, that never happened. 

I'll second that, Edo. The economy down here is probably about 95% tourism, so even though the impact on me personally has been the opposite, more hours, no breaks, I see the devastation all around me.

At the same time, people are itching to travel, emailing about apartments every time there is even a hint of restrictions easing. They just can't wait to get out and fly somewhere. Once a critical mass have been vaccinated, and travel starts up again, there'll be a years worth of pent-up need to fly unleashed all at once.

Fingers crossed that it's not too much longer for you.

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2021 at 7:46 PM, declan64 said:

This has to be some kind of joke coming in at over 630 euro landed cost for any southern Irish purchaser.
In all honesty it looks like something someone found in the bin (probably buried in the attic).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224427255044?ul_noapp=true

My equivalent money will be going on two new IRM Class A's with sound decoders.
In 10 years time we'll see how these compare value wise.....

Thanks to Paddy Murphy and IRM we now a choice of vastly superior models to the likes of this.

I very sincerely hope that did not sell. I know that something is worth whatever someone wants to pay, but someone taking even a third of that amount for a crude, broken old toy like that is just plain obscene.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, connollystn said:

It's hard to believe that's the best that Jouef (Ireland) had to offer us poor unfortunates.

Yes their stuff was unpleasant to say the least. Recently noticed 'some' collectors are paying big bucks for some of that sub-standard stuff. Fisher price comes to mind. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, connollystn said:

It's hard to believe that's the best that Jouef (Ireland) had to offer us poor unfortunates.

Well, look at the equivalents from Hornby and Lima at the time, they were not much better. Makes you appreciate everything available now that little bit more. Only the likes of Fleischmann and Roco was of a high level then, and a price to match

• Like 2

Collectors have their own way of looking at things ...I bet this lady would pay a high price for this set which most of us wouldn’t give house room to. Having sold a lot of my children’s toys on the Bay (with their permission!) I am often amazed at what is considered ‘collectable’.

I don’t get it myself, but then some might consider my counting and stamping out individual rivet heads rather odd.....some of us like researching trains, some of us enjoy collecting trains, some of us like running them, and some of us like building them. Some of us will have gone into palpitations because I said ‘train’ and not locomotives/rolling stock/railway infrastructure.

And in any one of these scenarios the red mist of excess can descend. Which reminds me, I have planks to count...

F7E05F77-962E-40EC-B357-15D9E4EE0AAA.jpeg

FF450FE0-A744-4C53-97C9-CE146A198A10.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 15/4/2021 at 11:57 PM, burnthebox said:

Hi guys, I know I’ve said this before but, this has got to be the end of model railways....! See for your selfs,

BTB

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HORNBY-R768-CIE-CLASS-35-HYMEK-DIESEL-LOCO-ORANGE-BLACK-IRISH-LIVERY-V-G-C/384062532687?hash=item596be92c4f:g:VUYAAOSwmX5gXbZu

OK I’V sorted the name out, it’s a Class 35 otherwise known as a HYMEK...😀

Hi Paul

Yes they were truly awful models, but pre-MM they seemed the bee's-knees cause they were vaguely Irish in colour if nothing else. Hideous models but of emotional and nostalgic value to me. I repainted this when I was about 12 because the bright orange plastic looked hideous in the extreme and not like the shade of orange on A classes or GMs back then. This was he first model I weathered if you can call it that, just painted the bogies and under frame with gunk to get rid of the shiney Hornby black chassis.

DSC_6875.jpg

The Shade of orange on these Lima class 33s was much closer to CIE albeit they were a far fetch from looking like an A class. Again in 1974 these hailing lima BR mk1 in B&T livery provided hours of enjoyment

LimaCIE_Class33s.JPG

Pic about 1974 using an Uncles polaroid camera. The Lima kit past the 10ft rule as CIE trains back then.

IMG_4681.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

Who would be mad enough to collect that crap?

One persons crap is another persons treasure. It might be poor, but it has an interesting story behind it and is rare. It's also part of history of the hobby, so can see why it appeals to collectors. Each to their own.

• Like 3

"The Market" is a place that few people really understand - it often seems perverse.

50% of what I own is from boot sales, charity shops and "do you want this before I throw it out?"

When I had a 'proper job', I could barely keep up with the stuff I rescued from the skips.

I have to wear blinkers when I go to the tip on the Big Island...

There are even times when a higher price seems to be an additional selling point - women's haircuts, lampshades, posh cars, etc.

People are often more amenable to paying over the odds for something that they want, rather than for stuff they need.

And a 'rising market' will attract people who think that it's worth paying an inflated price, if the selling price they can get in the future will be inflated a bit more. And vice versa.

It's a market, things are offered and the terms are accepted or rejected, when all is said and done.

• Like 2

It's really a completely separate hobby to modelling, which just happens to revolve around the same products. We're viewing these as 'tat' purely from a modeller's standpoint, as our primary concern in most cases is overall quality and accuracy to the prototype, whereas their value to collectors relies on them ticking an entirely different set of boxes - brand, time frame, numbers produced, etc. 

From a collector's standing, the Jouef HDI products have a number of characteristics which may make them attractive - the novelty of the liveries applied to the locos and rolling stock, the uniqueness of the HDI operation as the only industrial-scale producer of model railway equipment to have a factory in Ireland, the short length of the operation's existence, the relatively small quantities produced - and even smaller quantities which survive today, the part the company played in the Shannon Development story, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2