Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

The small cab windows were also blocked off on some or all loco's in their IE days. Possibly other body modifications aswell over the course of their careers.

Not to mention the change in the centre cab windows…..

I think this was because originally the three windows were all roughly the same size, but as time went on, when they needed replacement every so often, it was hard to acquire the exact window match, so most were refitted with a smaller cab window off the 141/181s instead. You can see this by comparing photos of the 121s from years ago, to the last remaining in service recently.

Iv had a good look at some of my own slides, the large window seem to have been replaced when the 121s where repainted in the IR white strip livery, before that in the CIE broken wheel super train livery they all had the large middle window. Then of course the 2windows overlooking the bonnet where blanked out in later years, this was only done on 4 of the 121s, 123, 124, 131 and 134. This is all a nightmare for modellers, theres nothing worse than getting detail wrong, in other words, modelling something that never was.

Regards

h.gricer

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/689-Article-121-Class-Locomotive-Drawings?highlight=121+class+centre+window

Noel,

From what I've heard on a very reliable bush telegraph, these body modifications will be catered for.

Good to hear. I would hazard a guess that you would be looking at two, maybe three body variations, depending on how they are designed, to cover the class from introduction to withdrawal. Main differences are handrails, windows and marker lights, the position of which differed on various loco's in their latter days.

In any case, it's a most welcome development considering the uncertainty that hung over the release of the 121 by MM, and I'm sure that they will at least equal their previous loco releases in terms of detail.

I'm delighted with this announcement and will look forward to checking out the pre production models at Raheny in October,

My visions of some sound fitted CIE Supertrain,IR and IE liveried 121 locos on Tara Jctn together with my 141/181 fleet will become a reality by next Christmas hopefully,

Well done Mr Murphy.

The 121 came to Pearse, as Connolly was damaged and heuston was overrun with Blackntans!

I preferred the 121 to Galway from Amiens Street rather than Kingsbridge, but also liked Westland Row because you had a great view of the city from the elevated track lines from either station. Shame they closed the Mullingar-Athlone link. :)

Press release from MM

As you will have noticed, 2015 was a rather quiet year for Murphy Models, mainly through circumstances beyond our control. However, we will try to make up for it in 2016 .

First, the news everybody has been waiting for. Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intended that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

Second up, re-vamped Mkii coaches, in Supertrain livery, are due to arrive mid-year. These will be an improvement on the original consignment following prolonged diplomatic (?) discussions with China. Note that these will have new fleet/catalogue numbers (to be advised) and are not repaints.

Third item on the agenda will be short runs of Class 201 locos in the interim livery and the latest Enterprise livery. Delivery schedule to be finalised.

4.) Due to popular demand, we will produce the Craven restaurant car as fleet number 1509. No delivery date is available at present.

5.) Finally, we will have a unique 1916 commemorative item. ETA June. You will have to wait for further details. BTW, don’t waste your time trying to second guess me!

Any schedules referred to above are not cast in stone. Due to €/$ volatility, it is not possible to indicate prices at this time.

Watch this space!

The 'interim' livery for the 201 is the Enterprise livery with the black band only. I believe that 8209 (?) was the loco that ran like this for a number of months?

Press release from MM

The 'interim' livery for the 201 is the Enterprise livery with the black band only. I believe that 8209 (?) was the loco that ran like this for a number of months?

I wonder if there will be much demand for a short lived, incomplete livery? I think a run of 201's in the completed Enterprise livery would be enough to satisfy demand. Maybe I'm wrong.....

Really looking forward to these. It will be nice at last to have the four La Grange Illinois GM's modelled to a top standard. As cool as they are double headed nose to nose it will still be nice to double head a train with a 141 or 181 and a 121. I presume that the two IE ones will be 124 and 134.

Rich,

I wonder if there will be much demand for a short lived, incomplete livery? I think a run of 201's in the completed Enterprise livery would be enough to satisfy demand. Maybe I'm wrong.....

I tend to agree. 201s have proved not to be the most popular GM models anyway, and 201 hauled pax rolling stock seems too long for most layouts.

I tend to agree. 201s have proved not to be the most popular GM models anyway, and 201 hauled pax rolling stock seems too long for most layouts.

I reckon if you were to count the amount of RTR models produced of any Irish loco the 201s would be the most numerous. They're quite popular, just maybe more plentiful in supply than others...

Yes good news, saw it on MM website http://www.murphymodels.com

Well done MM. Looking forward to acquiring 3 x 121s for my era (1xIE 2xB&T), and may be tempted into one Grey livery for static display in a case.

If black tan is your era grey 121's ran well into the sixties in fact CIE repainted one B135 in grey in the mid sixties two had the addition of a red buffer beam B123 and B127 I think and ran until 1966 like that

Edited by flange lubricator

http://jandjcottrell.zenfolio.com/p903912662/h3f1ecb0c#h3f1ecb0c

Jaysus that picture is just brilliant! I'm pinching myself at the thought that I could have that, RTR, within the next 18 months or so! However, if ever a picture was going to start a row (or maybe settle a few arguments!) it's that one! A pair of 121s in IR livery, but 2 very different shades of orange. Don't want to take this thread off topic; I'm in the market for 5 or 6 of these locos in IR livery, and that press release is just brilliant news!!!

Edited by dave182

Great news from Paddy - he's doing the original grey / yellow version early! I may even live to see it!

As a teenager, I remember visiting Great Victoria Street station after school one day, with the other members of the "Inst" Railway Society, to see the first single-ended Yankees on the CIE Enterprise.

Quite an eye-opener to see such a classically American locomotive in Belfast! Of course, they were the start of much better times for CIE's hard-pressed mechanical engineering department and little wonder that CIE went back, again and again to The States for their diesels. A pity it took BR so long to learn the lesson!

Again, well done Paddy for getting this show on the road. May it be a great success for you.

Leslie

h3f1ecb0c#h3f1ecb0c

However, if ever a picture was going to start a row (or maybe settle a few arguments!) it's that one! A pair of 121s in IR livery, but 2 very different shades of orange. Don't want to take this thread off topic; I'm in the market for 5 or 6 of these locos in IR livery, and that press release is just brilliant news!!!

You're not wrong, dave182. I was just going to post the same thing myself. 121 is darker/orange and 129 is lighter/yellower in every shot. What would the reason for this be? One a full repaint, the other a partial repaint from previous ST livery.

Personally I thought the 121 color to be more prototypical prior to weathering of the livery

http://jandjcottrell.zenfolio.com/p903912662/h3f1ecb0c#h3f1ecb0c

Jaysus that picture is just brilliant! I'm pinching myself at the thought that I could have that, RTR, within the next 18 months or so! However, if ever a picture was going to start a row (or maybe settle a few arguments!) it's that one! A pair of 121s in IR livery, but 2 very different shades of orange. Don't want to take this thread off topic; I'm in the market for 5 or 6 of these locos in IR livery, and that press release is just brilliant news!!!

I've a batch of photos taken of a derailment - really good slides so no messing on the colour rendition - and it shows MK3 coaches in a rake, some in Supertrain, some in Tippex Livery, and there is no difference in the colour between the two. It's quite possibly the same colour, some inchicore home brew mix even. It's going to be hard to please everyone on that score methinks.